HP/DEC/Compaq

Putting the C8000 to good use? - Page 1

My C8000 is one of my favourite workstations because it's incredibly quiet. Unfortunately I don't even know where I should start to find software for HP-UX. There must be something out there to run on that system, right? It feels a little wrong to just use it as an obsolete Firefox station.
:Fuel: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW:
Apple iMac, IBM p275, IBM p285, IBM 43p140, HP 2133, Sun Fire 280R, Sun Ultra1 clone (300Mhz), Sun Ultra2 (2x400 MHz), HP C8000, Fujitsu Primepower 250, HP rx4640
something about the culture of HP shops was to develop and release less free software than (e.g.) SGI shops. But there were many universities running it, so software should exist somewhere in the sands of time.
I think PA-RISC was big in EDA, CAM, geology, physics, etc. Graphics projects preferred IRIX, NT, and Linux.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
I like the quietness of my C8000 too, but I have the same problem, and it uses almost as much juice as the quad G5 next to it.

I need to try to get Firefox and a few other things running on it, but the Sexy Alpha Cat is now occupying that space.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
What exactly do you want to run on it? I (used to) have a large pkgsrc install on it - HP-UX 11.11 is a pretty easy-going target for that. Had a more-modern-than-CDE desktop (fluxbox, iirc xfce as well), gimp, some games, etcetera. Firefox is a total pain to build due to its use of ASM (and the fact that it requires a frankenstein gcc/aCC build chain to even work) so I stuck with the HP provided ancient 3.5.9. But yes, it is a really, really nice box.
while (!asleep()) sheep++;
I should get it out and get pkgsrc up on it.
smit happens.

probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
Unfortunately that's the dilemma with many of these machines is that finding software for them is very difficult or impossible.

It seems to be particularly problematic with Tru64, VMS, HP-UX, AIX.

IRIX/SGI is one of the best systems for a hobbyist to have.
:O2: O2 - (Mantadoc) - R5K - 200MHZ - 128MB RAM - 6.5.30
:Octane: Octane - (Montrealais) - R12K - 2*360MHZ - 1024MB RAM - EMXI. - 6.5.30
Alphaserver DS10 - (Vandoc) - EV6 - 466MHZ - 256MB RAM
Sun Ultra 5 - (Quedoc) - UltraSparc II - 400MHZ - 512MB RAM
ASUS K55VD - (Mapleglen)- I5 - Dual Core 2.5GHZ - 8 GB RAM
Dell L502X - (Algorail) - I7 - Quad Core 2GHZ - 6 GB RAM
Krokodil wrote: Unfortunately that's the dilemma with many of these machines is that finding software for them is very difficult or impossible.

IRIX/SGI is one of the best systems for a hobbyist to have.

... why? I don't see how it's any more or less problematic. All four are proprietary, all four require licenses, and all four require you to build stuff (or use stuff others have built).
while (!asleep()) sheep++;
Alver wrote:
Krokodil wrote: Unfortunately that's the dilemma with many of these machines is that finding software for them is very difficult or impossible.

... why? I don't see how it's any more or less problematic.

simply because sgi was more popular for desktop use hence in comparison there's more available
r-a-c.de
foetz wrote:
Alver wrote:

... why? I don't see how it's any more or less problematic.

simply because sgi was more popular for desktop use hence in comparison there's more available

^This

I looked at the freeware for AIX, pretty sparse. I looked at the freeware for Tru64 - pretty sparse. I don't have HP-UX, but I doubt it's any better and although there is some nice modern freeware for VMS, trying to gather and organize it for compiling is a huge pita.

Nekoware is unmatched.
Krokodil wrote: I don't have HP-UX, but I doubt it's any better

it is, a lot actually: http://hpux.connect.org.uk
r-a-c.de
We used to use a product called MUMPS (database type language) on HP years back, I have a zillion DDS 3 (or 4) tapes for them in the shed. I don't know if MUMPS still exists, I suppose it must as it was used in a lot of hospitals over here.

I'll have to have a look at the copyright and if I can get anything off the tapes.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
MyDungeon() << :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: MyLoft() << :540: :Octane: MyWork() << :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo:
foetz wrote:
Krokodil wrote: I don't have HP-UX, but I doubt it's any better

it is, a lot actually: http://hpux.connect.org.uk

I guess there is value in PA-RISC after all. Have to look into that.

uunix wrote: We used to use a product called MUMPS (database type language) on HP years back, I have a zillion DDS 3 (or 4) tapes for them in the shed. I don't know if MUMPS still exists, I suppose it must as it was used in a lot of hospitals over here.

I'll have to have a look at the copyright and if I can get anything off the tapes.

It now exists as InterSystems Caché and Gt.M and is still in wide use.
foetz wrote: simply because sgi was more popular for desktop use hence in comparison there's more available

+ the cool factor. SGIs were (and are) "cool", so it's easier to maintain a hobbyist community to go to the work of porting, packaging and maintaining a software repository.

OpenVMS has some, although update frequency isn't as often as Nekoware. Solaris used to have a lot, until Oracle went Oracle on Solaris (but OpenCSW is still around). DEC Unixes likely suffer from BSDitis - NetBSD has an excellent selection of software, and (especially for VAX) BSD is historically considered to be "the UNIX" for DEC. Note that that is pretty much "science by Aristotle" (go into a closet, ponder something for a bit, come out and make a big pronouncement without any verification first), so don't give it too much credence.

AIX is IBM, and IBM is, well, IBM, so don't expect too much there. It's better than OS/400/i or the mainframe OSes, so be happy, I suppose... Groupe Bull still has their freeware collection at http://www.bullfreeware.com/ , which is targeted more towards servers (naturally), but exists and is kept updated.

I know of nothing for SunOS 4 or Tru64.
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
paulfred wrote: My C8000 is one of my favourite workstations because it's incredibly quiet. Unfortunately I don't even know where I should start to find software for HP-UX. There must be something out there to run on that system, right? It feels a little wrong to just use it as an obsolete Firefox station.

You could always pursue the time-honored desktop-Unix tradition of modelling spaceships in POV-RAY.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/D-50/MT-32/SC-55k, Ensoniq SQ-80/Mirage, Yamaha DX7/V-50/FB-01/SY22, Korg DW-8000/MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/M1/03-RW, E-mu Emax HD/Proteus/2, Rhodes Chroma Polaris
SAQ wrote:
foetz wrote: simply because sgi was more popular for desktop use hence in comparison there's more available

+ the cool factor. SGIs were (and are) "cool", so it's easier to maintain a hobbyist community to go to the work of porting, packaging and maintaining a software repository.

OpenVMS has some, although update frequency isn't as often as Nekoware. Solaris used to have a lot, until Oracle went Oracle on Solaris (but OpenCSW is still around). DEC Unixes likely suffer from BSDitis - NetBSD has an excellent selection of software, and (especially for VAX) BSD is historically considered to be "the UNIX" for DEC. Note that that is pretty much "science by Aristotle" (go into a closet, ponder something for a bit, come out and make a big pronouncement without any verification first), so don't give it too much credence.

AIX is IBM, and IBM is, well, IBM, so don't expect too much there. It's better than OS/400/i or the mainframe OSes, so be happy, I suppose... Groupe Bull still has their freeware collection at http://www.bullfreeware.com/ , which is targeted more towards servers (naturally), but exists and is kept updated.

I know of nothing for SunOS 4 or Tru64.

SGI is by the far the best, only Solaris comes close for hobbyist purposes.

OpenVMS is weak, alot of the software is rotten and there is one site with some software of interest that is modern, but trying to organize it all to get it working is hugely annoying, mainly because of DCL's inefficiencies. I got some of it working. The lack of instructions, dependency hell and stupid FTP credentials in the address bar makes it very hard to work with as well.

AIX freeware seems to be pretty sparse

Tru64 is pretty sparse too.

Surprisingly HP-sUX(lol) seems to have quite a bit of freeware for it.
It's better than OS/400/i or the mainframe OSes, so be happy, I suppose...

I just bought an as/400 running os/400. password on the machine, and the machine turned out to be leased, it should not even exist still, so no chance of getting licenced software for it.
I found a copy of irix install media for sale and had my octane up and running within a week. the support and software released here are amazing. at least you can still get help and modern software ports through the forums here.

the as/400 is a doorstop without software. looks nice next to a crimson though with bits of red on the front cover though.
:Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: :Indigo2: :Crimson: Image :Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2: :Onyx2: :Onyx: :OnyxR: :BA213:
Krokodil wrote: HP-sUX(lol)

That dates from the Unix Haters Handbook era (along with Slowlaris, ScumOS [but it boots fast!] and the like). HP-UX 10.20+ isn't a showoff OS (like, say, IRIX), but it is solid and stable.

"I am O SH-- the Great and Powerful"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
SAQ wrote:
Krokodil wrote: HP-sUX(lol)

That dates from the Unix Haters Handbook era (along with Slowlaris, ScumOS [but it boots fast!] and the like). HP-UX 10.20+ isn't a showoff OS (like, say, IRIX), but it is solid and stable.

I'm just repeating the statements I see elsewhere on the forum.
:Octane2: - :O2: - :Octane: - :Indigo2IMP:
Having had to administer a K250 back in the day, HP-sUX is unsexy. sam is also occasionally byzantine (it makes smit look like a miracle of design by comparison). But, it does work, and like AIX (in my experience) it's pretty reliable.
smit happens.

plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * RDI PrecisionBook * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
HP did go through a period where they thought they'd challenge SGI for graphics, but the software end of it just wasn't there.

"I am O SH-- the Great and Powerful"