HP/DEC/Compaq

Putting the C8000 to good use? - Page 2

SAQ wrote: HP did go through a period where they thought they'd challenge SGI for graphics, but the software end of it just wasn't there.

neither was the hardware :P
Well, the FireGL cards weren't bad for the day. When I was a consultant slut, I maintained a C3750 the biology department had an NSF grant for doing protein visualization on.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * RDI PrecisionBook * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
'consultant slut' is a new one on me. I used to use 'intellectual prostitute' or EKS (Evil-Kontractor-Scum). Happy days...
Image , VAXstation 4000/90 x2, VAXstation 4000/VLC x2, AlphaServer 1000A, DEC AXP 3000/600 (desktop), DEC AXP 3000/600 x2 (rackmount), DEC AXP 3000/800 (rackmount), AlphaServer 300 4/266, Sun Ultra 5, LA75, PP404, Juki 6100, Brother HR10
urbancamo wrote: 'consultant slut' is a new one on me. I used to use 'intellectual prostitute' or EKS (Evil-Kontractor-Scum). Happy days...

Remember: if you're not part of the solution, there's good money to be made in prolonging the problem.
smit happens.

probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * RDI PrecisionBook * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
SAQ wrote: HP did go through a period where they thought they'd challenge SGI for graphics, but the software end of it just wasn't there.

They did and they won, on the desktop at least, just not with HP-sUX.
"Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a
pyramid with thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"
The whole HP Visualize series was designed for the toughest work in the technical computing, and with rock-solid 64bit HP-UX v11 operating system it rises to the extreme challenges of electronic design, including system-on-a-chip simulation and IC verification. Good. Designed for the toughest work. On which software ? Proprietary ? OpenSource ? Is it avaiable for Linux-HPPA2 ? No gnat available for HPPA2, so no ghdl, so no system-on-a-chip simulation and IC verification. So you need to pay for a proprietary software for HP-UX v11. Which is RIP, nowadays.
Head Full of Snow. Lemon Scented You
I have rider, my C8k up and running using PKGSRC. It is not the hottest looking example and it's missing the pedestal :( . But it runs reliably. I have it pretty much maxed out.

I actually recently built CDE on FreeBSD and want to start making it look more IRIXy, especially since the big Linux DEs now mandate logind and dbus. Fuck Lennart and Merry Christmas.
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane: R12000 300MHz SI 896MB RAM yuuka
:Octane2: R12000A 400MHz V6 2.5GB RAM
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M Windows 8.1 Embedded rin
Thinkpad R40 Pentium M 1.5GHz 2GB RAM kasha
Don't you know someone with a gnat-bootstrap for freeBSD, Linux, opensource whatever? It's a pity we have powerful and stable machines, without gnat. And i am lost without ghdl (whose primary dependency is gnat) because I can't simulate anything ='(
On FreeBSD you use port lang/gcc-aux for Ada programming - the API for gnat is broken.
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane: R12000 300MHz SI 896MB RAM yuuka
:Octane2: R12000A 400MHz V6 2.5GB RAM
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M Windows 8.1 Embedded rin
Thinkpad R40 Pentium M 1.5GHz 2GB RAM kasha
to compile ghdl ? will it work? who knows :D
it would be fab.

p.s.
do you have PA-RISC or Itanium cpus on your C8K?
I don't see FreeBSD in the openpa page
Supported OS. It says { HP-UX, Linux } :shock:

This was done by gEDA on C8K with linux/HPPA :D :D :D
This is gorgeous, man!
Image Image
commodorejohn wrote: It's one thing to drop support as far as updates go, but actually removing access to older builds for older systems is just obscene, especially since it's blocked from being mirrored on archive.org.

true, apparently stupid moves do happen which is why it's always a good idea not to rely on others when it comes to important things i.e. save the stuff that's important to you on your own
That happened to AIXPDSLIB. I've got some of it but not all of it, and almost none of the AIX 5 stuff. :/
smit happens.

Shiunbird wrote: This is gorgeous, man!

Thanks. Creating packages on gEDA is simpler than on KiCAD, but the creating a decent preview involves a lot of interactions between the CAM processor (with a photoplotter and a drill machine in mind, gerber files) and imageMagic (gimp), plus a lot of manual operations passing data through a lot of python-scripts. E.g. holes are placed using the drilling-machine file, applying a dark circle filled with solid black, while all the gilding along the solder pad points is done by a gimp's filter which takes coordinates from one of the gerber files.

Next time I will just use "gerber view", even it the quality of the preview is not so good.

Creating a PCB is not an easy task and there are many ways for a fab house to mess it up. The above PCB is dual layers, without vias, it might be done at home but I am going to outsource the manufacture of all my PCBs, which is good since it saves your time, but you also need manufacturer's constraints. In this case the PCB is simple enough; I mean trace width and spacing are not critical so the might work without problems, but strictly speaking, the final result depends on the DFM (design for manufacture) rules and constraints.

I still have to find a way to include DFM within gEDA designs, so the C8K will be the perfect PCB-designer machine :D
VDU, using an fpga + SRAM

Re-done on C8K by a friend. It was a complex process, he said, the original design was done on a Windows/PC with DipTrace, then exported, and rendered on C8K. It's too complex and too time consuming. It's even more complex than the 3D-CAM process used by EagleCAD :roll:

Conclusion:
I assume the picture posted in the previous post (which was a planar 2D) is the best I can do on HPPA/linux with gEDA and ImageMagic