Sun

Solaris 11 Express is out - Page 1

The nevada beta turned free osol turned dead is back again as Solaris 11 Express.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/serve ... downloads/
Stuff.
Great news, can't wait to upgrade the SunRay system!

I
--
No Microsoft product was used in any way to write or send this text.
If you use a Microsoft product to read it, you're doing so at your own
risk.
Let me know if you got gui working from the text install before I do. So far I am not happy at all. :(

Edit: Screw it. After getting pkg to install everything I could find for the desktop, Xorg -configure refused to work, and attempting to launch gdm hangs. I am going download the live cd and start over... Way to go Horacle.
Stuff.
Downloading the LiveCD now ... Wow, acording with the ' What's new ' pdf, Compiz is included... Seems it's not designed for professionals.
Only if you choose it, and it's in the default Ubuntu mode ("some effects") rather than full-on wobbly 3D BS mode.

I really, really, really wish Compiz never happened - the pressure to create dumb 3D effects in the first place completely borked X.Org even more than it was previously broken, and the push to get said dumb effects out the door instead of doing things right led to the boneheaded mess that is AIGLX.

I might try installing the x86 version on my play machine later on - I've always enjoyed Solaris but never enough to put up with it for too long.
Usually I don't mind having to log in for downloads but Oracle's sign-in nonsense makes me want to punch myself in the face.
Virtual Console Terminals
Oracle Solaris 11 Express 2010.11 supports switching between X session and virtual console
terminals. This service can be enabled by starting the svc:/system/vtdaemon:default and
svc:/system/console-login:vt* services in SMF. Once turned on, users can switch
between sessions using hotkeys Alt + Ctrl + F#.
About time, even if you absolutely hate linux this is an extremely useful feature I have always felt was missing from other systems.
:Indy: :rx2600: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
So do you know if they included XSun and accelerated drivers for the Sparc stuff (XVR-600/1200) or did they cut over completely to Xorg and dumb framebuffers for the legacy hw?
Solaris 11 installed and no gui.
Cannot find driver for framebuffer.
Any ideas?
And i'm a complete Solaris noob so keep it simple,please.

Oh yeah, Blade 2000 and Creator3d (ffb2+).
weldelandia wrote: Solaris 11 installed ja no gui.
Cannot find driver for framebuffer.
Any ideas?
And i'm a complete Solaris noob so keep it simple,please.

Oh yeah, Blade 2000 and Creator3d (ffb2+).

I was unsuccessful in my attempt to install gui on top of text install. I used the pkg command to search and install everything desktop related but could not get X to start. This was in a VM of course, so I was able to just start over with the x86 live cd and do a gui install.

I am not overly skilled with the express builds / open solaris, but last I heard a lot of the creative 3d based cards (like the xvr1200) wouldn't be supported in open solaris. So you may be at a loss.
Stuff.
D-EJ915 wrote: Usually I don't mind having to log in for downloads but Oracle's sign-in nonsense makes me want to punch myself in the face.
Virtual Console Terminals
Oracle Solaris 11 Express 2010.11 supports switching between X session and virtual console
terminals. This service can be enabled by starting the svc:/system/vtdaemon:default and
svc:/system/console-login:vt* services in SMF. Once turned on, users can switch
between sessions using hotkeys Alt + Ctrl + F#.
About time, even if you absolutely hate linux this is an extremely useful feature I have always felt was missing from other systems.

Yes that is a very very good feature!! Top!!

/michael
--
No Microsoft product was used in any way to write or send this text.
If you use a Microsoft product to read it, you're doing so at your own
risk.
Seems like a very polished release. Just instaledl it on my thrown together play PC ( $20 ECS mobo , couple gigs of ram , Athlon LE) and it detected all onboard hardware and has the accelerated nvidia driver by default. This is in contrast to Solaris 10 where I had to use a realtek NIC and soundcard. Seems like a good Workstation OS for those who want something besides RHEL or Centos.
:O2: R10K/256/73GB :Octane2: R12K/2GB/V6 dead :(
Yes, but no CDE. I should try compiling OpenMotif that why I can drown my sorrows in MWM. And yes, I'm serious.
zizban wrote: Yes, but no CDE. I should try compiling OpenMotif that why I can drown my sorrows in MWM. And yes, I'm serious.

Why not install the CDE from a Solaris 9/10 release?
Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

Living proof that you can't keep a blithering idiot down.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
I hate to sound stupid, but how does one go about doing that?
pkgadd -d /path/to/pkg

However, I suspect there will be other packages as dependencies and not just the one with CDE in the name. :)
Stuff.
Should only be Motif and the various dt* stuff. I don't have my Solaris with me, but I know it should be possible. I put Openlook stuff on a Sol9 box that way.
Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

Living proof that you can't keep a blithering idiot down.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
OL is easy because there is an OWCompat Enviroment already.
http://step.polymtl.ca/~coyote/XView/OWacomp/
On SPARC, Solaris 11 Express supports the following video cards:

XVR-50 (onboard graphics on some SPARC servers)
XVR-100 (PCI board)
XVR-300 (PCIe board)
XVR-2500 (PCIe board)
AST2100/2200 (Service Processor/Remote KVM)

The bootable text install CD for SPARC doesn't install X or Gnome.

To get a GUI working, the easiest way is to bring in the babel install - remember in Solaris 11 Express pfexec has been depricated, so you have to use sudo now:

Code: Select all

sudo pkg install babel_install

After installing, to enable graphical login:

Code: Select all

sudo svcadm enable gdm

The directions to get a GUI going with a text install will also work on an x86 machine so you don't need to do a complete reinstall there if you didn't install the machine with one to begin with.
I am installing it now on my x86 box. I'll test this out.

I was totally unaware that it doesn't install a GUI. I guess that explains how the ISO can be so small ;)
And it works!