SGI: hinv

Another Bargain???? - Page 1

So, tomorrow I pick up 2 Octanes 1s that were auctioned on ebay as dead for £30. They look utter crap and the only reason I bid on them is that that are located in Stourbridge.. So if I go upstairs and look out the window, I can probably see the building they are housed in.

Worst scenario.. everything is buggered and I get some hdd cages & skins.

Best.. mmm cool software, working systems.. etc etc...

The night before Christmas.. I can't sleep!!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:O2: :1600SW: :O2: :1600SW: :Octane2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: :540:
Best of luck :)
Systems in use:
:Fuel: - Lithium : R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen : R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
Other systems in storage: :O2: x 2, :Indy: x 2
yeah one of these deals. when you got them let us know how it turned out :D
r-a-c.de
Good luck!

I had a look at a couple of listings, but I'm in a crappy location for anything listed with "collection only" :/

Having said that, I don't have any more space under my desk for anything else at the moment!
:Octane2: Octane2 Dual R14K 600Mhz, 4GB RAM, VPro V12, DCD, PCI Card Cage, GBit Ethernet
:Indigo2IMP: Indigo2 R10K 195MHz, 1GB RAM, Maximum Impact, I2V
The boxen are breeding... help!
No hdd or Cages..

Both PSU popped

one has 512Mb made up of 4 128MB, the other 2GB made up of 8 256MB

One had a working Light bar though, which was a find.. :-|
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:O2: :1600SW: :O2: :1600SW: :Octane2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: :540:
Light bars are easy to fix with a couple of LED's and a couple of resistors, HDD and cages shouldn't be too much of an issue either...

PSU's might be repairable, otherwise there's a Cherokee on ebay at the moment at £40.

Failing that, I'm sure Mr Mapleson can sort you out :)
:Octane2: Octane2 Dual R14K 600Mhz, 4GB RAM, VPro V12, DCD, PCI Card Cage, GBit Ethernet
:Indigo2IMP: Indigo2 R10K 195MHz, 1GB RAM, Maximum Impact, I2V
The boxen are breeding... help!
Presumably the skins are crap? And the CPUs are 175s? And the graphics are rock bottom SIs? :cry:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
Not sure what CPUs are, I haven't matched with any pictures or taken the CPU apart that much.. the are probably 4Mhz 8080s

Skins.. well.. Door has fell off one, one was dropped and the board removing (plunger/grip/lever)s in each corner has been SMOSHED!

To be honest they both look like they served on a North Sea Oil Rig... in the open!
Still on reflection...

Cost.. £30..

Fuel Cost.. £0.10

Experience of taking Octane apart.. 10/10 No idea of cost..

Replacing my broken Bar Light (On my super duper Octane 2).. + £10 ?

Spare parts for the future... £100 I reckon...

OOOH I forgot to mention.. joy of meeting the owners of the shop and the Westie K9 where I picked them up from.. + 10 points..

So as crap as they are.. It's been a positive if yet slightly disappointing (at the moment) transaction.

BTW.. did you get round to running Jeleo?
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
Finally managed to get these to console boot.
System 1 (better skins - just)
2x 195MHz R1000 1Mb 2nd Cache
256 MB Memory
SSi & Si Graphics

System 2 (worse condition)
2x 195MHz R1000 1Mb 2nd Cache
512 MB Memory
SSi & Si Graphics
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
Notbad, I ran a 2x195 as my main box for a few years with mxi :)
You eat Cadillacs; Lincolns too... Mercurys and Subarus.
They'd run Pro/Engineer 2001i alright! And before bursting into peals of laughter recall that single-seat licenses of that version started at around $25,000... :shock:
Project:
Plan:
Yeah I got my octane from uni and somehow found the invoice to the machine for about $65000 and that was before I had upgraded to 1 gig of memory and installed a bigger-than-4GB disk :) That cost was with 128 megs. There were some software line items that I guess we can't discuss here but that was the cost just for the box itself.

It was circa 2008-2010 I was running it, it became a single 400 with a V6 before being "upgraded" for something different. At the time I was a broke student and it was much nicer than my P4 1.5ghz (with RDRAM!) box.

I should track down another one this year, I really miss it. Dunno if I should hold out for fuel/tezro. More speed would be good but Octanes are soooo nice...
guardian452 wrote: There were some software line items that I guess we can't discuss here....
As long as your discussion doesn't involve buying, selling, trading, hacking or offering commercial software, have at it.
guardian452 wrote: I should track down another one this year, I really miss it. Dunno if I should hold out for fuel/tezro. More speed would be good but Octanes are soooo nice...
Since I moved mine from the desktop to a position in a rack it doesn't get the love it deserves. I can remotely fire up the other stuff in there via L2, but the Octane suffers from the out-of-sight-out-of-mind-and-you-gotta-push-the-button-to-fire-it-up syndrome.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
Wish I remembered or still had it, to be honest... I believe it was mostly compiler rated. The unit had bought 4 identical machines on one PO in 97 for one of the CS labs and the total bill tipped the scales at about 300K.

I remember when they were getting rid of them and I snatched a pair of them. E.g. Friend: "those look expensive" Me: "yeah they probably cost five grand each when they were new!" The grizzled greybeard systems guy who was helping us said, probably quite a bit more than that, managed to track down the original invoice and emailed it to me. Which was a bit of a shock and I couldn't believe, at the time, they would just give something like that away for free! :lol:

They also had a bunch of sun boxes but I wasn't interested because they didn't look nearly as cool :D
I shudder to think what they would have charged for my maxed out Octane2 15 years ago... http://forums.nekochan.net/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16727833
Project:
Plan:
vishnu wrote: I shudder to think what they would have charged for my maxed out Octane2 15 years ago...
Eight years ago a number of us bought new 600MHz V12 Octane2s directly from SGI for $600 (no, I didn't leave out any zeros :D ).

There's some photos I took of the unboxing in the gallery: http://www.nekochan.net/gallery2/v/SGI_ ... 1/Octane2/
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
recondas wrote: Eight years ago a number of us bought new 600MHz V12 Octane2s directly from SGI for $600 (no, I didn't leave out any zeros :D ).

$300 for the Octane, plus $300 for the IRIX media, IIRC. And they wouldn't sell them to Europeans because of ROHS regulations :(
Now this is a deep dark secret, so everybody keep it quiet :)
It turns out that when reset, the WD33C93 defaults to a SCSI ID of 0, and it was simpler to leave it that way... -- Dave Olson, in comp.sys.sgi

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
I'm still bummed I missed out on that...
recondas wrote:
vishnu wrote: I shudder to think what they would have charged for my maxed out Octane2 15 years ago...
Eight years ago a number of us bought new 600MHz V12 Octane2s directly from SGI for $600 (no, I didn't leave out any zeros :D ).

I remember it well, and now sgi seems to have purged the remarketed link from their website... :evil:
Project:
Plan:
Love to get all my SGI valued from it's respective original era..
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!