SGI: hinv

33Mhz IRIS Indigo. 16M & LG1! King of the low-end! - Page 1

Old old old! :D
Has the original beige keyboard, 19" CRT monitor, etc.

Code: Select all

sgi 2# hinv -v
1 33 MHZ IP12 Processor
FPU: MIPS R2010A/R3010 VLSI Floating Point Chip Revision: 4.0
CPU: MIPS R2000A/R3000 Processor Chip Revision: 3.0
On-board serial ports: 2
Data cache size: 32 Kbytes
Instruction cache size: 32 Kbytes
Main memory size: 16 Mbytes
Integral Ethernet: ec0, version 0
Disk drive / removable media: unit 3 on SCSI controller 0: 720K/1.44M floppy
Disk drive: unit 2 on SCSI controller 0
Disk drive: unit 1 on SCSI controller 0
Integral SCSI controller 0: Version WD33C93A, revision 9
Iris Audio Processor, rev 3
Graphics board: LG1

sgi 4# uname -a
IRIX sgi 4.0.5 06151813 IP12

sgi 16# /usr/gfx/gfxinfo
Graphics board 0 is "LG1" graphics.
Managed (":0.0") 1024x768
P1 LG1 board, REX revision B, VC1 revision B, PIC revision 1.5
19" monitor, video option not installed.

Currently Own:
Image Iris Indigo R3K Image ?? Challenge XL RE ?? Image O2 R5k CRM
Image Indigo2 ZX R4400
Sold:
Image R5K Indy, ZX Graphics. MANY, MANY moons ago.
IRIX 4!
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
Nice!

Call me crazy, but I like the older/slower systems better for some reason. Maybe it's just because you could do so much with so little hardware back then, before software bloat got us to where we are today. And the programmers who got the software to do so much in so little space get my respect, too.

I have an R4K Indigo that I was going to install IRIX 4.0.5 on until I discovered my CD is completely corrupt. I'd actually prefer to have gotten a R3K instead (in part because it's even older; in part becuase I already have an R4K system, my Indigo2). And you say you have the beige keyboard and old monitor. That makes for an impressively complete old system.

So from my crazy, backwards, retro-focused viewpoint that is one very nice machine you have there!
:Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Indigo: :O3x0:
Sun SPARCstation 20, Blade 2500
HP C8000
Wow, nice old piece of hardware.
It reminds me when I was installing Irix (3.0.2 if I remember correctly) on my very first Silicon Graphics (4D-70GT) with qic tapes... It was also my first experience with Unix: what an adventure !
:Onyx2: : oxygen (4xR12k400) / :A3504L: :A3504L: : neon (16xI2 1.6, 9MB L2) / :O200: :O200: : beryllium (4xR12k270)
:Fuel: : nitrogen (R16k800) / :Octane2: : carbon (2xR14k600) / :Octane: : lithium (R10k400) / :Octane: : fluorine (2xR12k300) / spare 2xR12k360
:O2: : hydrogen (R10k195) / :O2: : sodium (R5k180) / :O2: : R5k180->200 MB and PM only
:Indigo2IMP: : helium (R10k195, HighImpact) / :Indigo2IMP: : boron (R4k250)/ :Indigo: : magnesium (R4k100) / :Indy: : aluminium (R5k180)
:4D70GT: 4D70GT : my very first one (now property of musée bolo and the foundation mémoires informatiques )
See the hinv/gfxinfo posts here .
At one of my jobs I was responsible for SGI workstations, HP/UX servers, and both Sun workstations and servers (1999-2000.) I wound up focusing on Sun and working for them for a while. Now people are giving away systems left and right; I'm trying to save some from the scrappers. I need to update my .signature with a few more systems that I picked up for the "cost of shipping."
Currently Own:
Image Indigo2 ZX R4400
Sold:
Pics plz.
smit happens.

probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
This is when I first got it and set it up on the porch. It's now on a desk in the basement where the scenery is not so pretty.
Currently Own:
Image Indigo2 ZX R4400
Sold:
jpstewart wrote: Nice!

Call me crazy, but I like the older/slower systems better for some reason. Maybe it's just because you could do so much with so little hardware back then, before software bloat got us to where we are today. And the programmers who got the software to do so much in so little space get my respect, too.

i could sign that completely. i actually still use a moderately equipped indigo2 for stuff because it's so pure and you can see so well if stuff works well or not.
it's also the best for any sort of learning because you get exactly what you tell it to do. no assistants no wizards no other dummy crap; only you and the file. if you can get stuff done there then you actually got skills. the more "modern" systems seem like a joke in comparison.
Delightful!
smit happens.

Wonderful piece of machinery.
Actually the Indigo R3000 was my first real contact with SGI's in general. (although I once saw a demo running on an Indy R4k a few weeks earlier)

Been administrating an Origin 200 server and a couple of Octanes back in the days, but never got the chance with bigger systems until I got an O3000 in my garage...
:O3200: :Fuel: :Indy: :O3x02L:
That's a nice photo. I love the monitor. I don't think I've ever seen one of the old beige monitors before, only the granite models.

Enjoy that setup!
:Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Indigo: :O3x0:
Sun SPARCstation 20, Blade 2500
HP C8000
R3000 Indigo isn't the king of SGI low end because it was useful at introduction (and still, if you don't put too much on it).

R4000PC XL-8 Indy with 8MB is the king of low end. Practically unusable from day one without upgrades.
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
SAQ wrote: R4000PC XL-8 Indy with 8MB is the king of low end. Practically unusable from day one without upgrades.

An R5-180 O2 must be the crown prince, then. Man, are those things awful.
The time has come for someone to put his foot down ...
R4000PC XL-8 Indy with 8MB is the king of low end. Practically unusable from day one without upgrades.

Ain't that the hellacious truth. This Indy started like that, except it had 32MB of RAM, so it managed to drag itself into Irix where it could not do any other function within a reasonable amount of time. I have no idea what SGI was thinking there.
smit happens.

jpstewart wrote:

I remember a major state university (est. 50,000 students and 10,000 staff) ran their total computing program with about 12M of RAM spread across two mainframes. This supported the school itself, large comp sci and EE departments (along with other science departments but I didn't know people in those programs) and ran ALL the reporting for a local bank network at night. They didn't need two mainframes for this but at the time they used to crash a lot and they were sponsored to the university (free) so why not. So yeah. It shows you can get an unbelievable amount of work done if you start off with good hardware and software.

If spying on innocent people didn't require so much storage and processing we'd probably all be working on 30MHz workstations with 16M of RAM and liking it. Instead we find 3x2 GHz CPUs and 2G of RAM is an absolute minimum for a functional desktop even under Linux.

Don't think they ever shipped 8MB Indys, but 16MB was equally unusable, mostly because IRIX 5.1 was awful. Tom Davis of SGI wrote wrote an interesting memo about it. The 16MB Indy was referred to as the Indigo without the 'go' . :lol:
hamei wrote:
An R5-180 O2 must be the crown prince, then. Man, are those things awful.

I've used both and the 16MB Indy 'wins'. I used to do software development back in the day on a 32MB Indy running IRIX 5.1.1.x We had to reboot it regularly because it would run out of memory just sitting there. Then I managed to borrow an IRIX 5.3 disc from a friendly sysadmin at the local Uni and talked someone into buying an extra 64MB RAM for the thing. Now *that* made a difference :)

Oh, and the Indigo R3000 is a cool little box. It's like they took the Personal Iris and transformed it from a roaring brown monster into this cute little desktop. And it really works well with IRIX 4.x. You just have to find the contemporary software or build stuff from source.

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
bluecode wrote:
If spying on innocent people didn't require so much storage and processing we'd probably all be working on 30MHz workstations with 16M of RAM and liking it. Instead we find 3x2 GHz CPUs and 2G of RAM is an absolute minimum for a functional desktop even under Linux.

Naw - back when computer development was heavily federally subsidized the driving forces were cracking Russian codes and modeling the big bangs (the terrestrial human-initiated ones). Now the driving force is gamers, people buying faster computers because their machine is too "slow" (perhaps something to do with the 15 toolbars and 6 "security" programs installed), ridiculously overdesigned webpages, and shoddy coding with unneded glitz.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
SAQ wrote:
Now the driving force is gamers, people buying faster computers because their machine is too "slow" (perhaps something to do with the 15 toolbars and 6 "security" programs installed), ridiculously overdesigned webpages, and shoddy coding with unneded glitz.

amen to that and a double scotch for you :D
So the company gifted me with an old laptop to use and unfortunately it came equipped with a pirated (unregistered) and useless (especially w/ 1gb ram) installation of Windows 7. After trying to find something suitable to run on it I have to ask the question: Why does OSX run so much better and faster on a 7-year-old dell d820 than ubuntu and just as zipp-ily as the ancient windows XP? The only caveat is the docking station is not supported :(

So the company gifted me with an old laptop to use and unfortunately it came equipped with a pirated (unregistered) and useless (especially w/ 1gb ram) installation of Windows 7. After trying to find something suitable to run on it I have to ask the question: Why does OSX run so much better and faster on a 7-year-old dell d820 than ubuntu and just as zipp-ily as the ancient windows XP? The only caveat is the docking station is not supported :(

Do you remember the part from Dante's Inferno where the people were doomed to run forever after a red flag being blown by the wind? That, unfortunately, seems to be a good illustration for much of modern-day F/OSS software development. Unless there's a very strong head figure (Torvalds/Stallman/...) they run back and forth and try to support so much that the end result is kind of messy many times. Still love it and use it often, but I do notice the downsides.

While I'm stuck on older versions of OS X (not willing to give up Rosetta yet), it seems that Apple hasn't quite bought into the dynamic visual effects quite as much as some other systems (big offender - Compiz on Linux. Ugh). Useless visual geegaws eat up a lot of computing power. Also, Mac has many fewer add-ins/system tray junk it seems.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"