SGI: Computer Graphics

Blender 2.36 released - Page 2

If it supports CMYK, then it could be a much needed replacement for photoshop on IRIX. At $32-$100, the price is right!
a few years ago, a planned IRIX port was advertised but then dissapeared - i'd guess because of lack of interest.
anyway, i tried a demo of pixel32 on windows and for a long time photoshop-user like me it felt somehow ... strange. from what i've evaluated at that time i'd even prefer the ancient photoshop 3 if given the choice ;)

still, alternatives are always good to have.
I didnt know he had an IRIX port before, perhaps it was before I found out about it, but if enough of us here email him, maybe he'll re-do the IRIX effort.

I agree that it feels awkward using Pixel32 after many many years of Photoshopping, but I think it comes pretty close to it, at least as an alternative.
This is quasi-closed-source isn't it? I saw some screenies on Zeta the other day (my girlfriend's laptop is running Zeta RC3 now, sweet by the way, but it has some issues...), looked pretty cool to me.

That's why I'm hoping that Nekochaners can make a concentrated effort in that direction...
If they can port it to Solaris, then they can port it to IRIX/MIPS... Though, maybe they don't have the SGI hardware that you "kindasorta" need in order to develop for SGI...

I wonder what kind of SGi that program would want.

Hi,

I'm not sure I'm able to do it right now, I lack hardware, IRIX OS too :)

I will also need few tools to be present on IRIX ... isn't it running Sparc processors? Or RISC or what was it? :)

Pixel32 can run only on x86, PowerPC and Sparc right now.

Pavel

On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 08:06 +0100, XXXXXXXXXX wrote:
> Hello Pavel Kanzelsberger,
>
> will there be an version of Pixel32 for SGI’s IRIX???
>
> There are a lot of SGI Fans who would love it.
>
> Take a look on the thread in the Nekochan-SGI-Forum:
>
>http://forums.nekochan.net/viewtopic.php?t=4565
>
>Best regards,
>
> Thomas
>
>
--
Pavel Kanzelsberger <[email protected]>
amigo wrote:
I'm wondering if you peeps have seen http://pixel32.box.sk ?

Actually I own a full license for Linux, but it got me thinking that it would be "cool" to have this in IRIX as well. And seeing that the author has made so many ports already, perhaps we can spark his interest to make an IRIX port, too. What the rest of you think?

There was something not entirely savory about this developer .... maybe that was in the past, maybe he got his finances under control, maybe maybe ... but ..... $35 isn't a lot to risk but at one time there was a lot more smoke than fire about this particular program.
Hmmm. looks impressive, but under win 2k I managed to crash it several times with large files and some clickage whilst using the text tool. Clearly not prime time yet...

Anyhow, he seems to be using SDL for crossplatform-ness and thus I dont expect there's much SGI specific accelleration so it'll prolly be dog slow under IRIX.