SGI: Computer Graphics

Old Alias and Wavefront apps screenshots... - Page 2

Didn't PA evolve into the Alias Studio series, aimed at CAD? Design Studio, Surface Studio, etc. I have some
demo videos somewhere, and glossy brochures. When one executes Alias 11, it offers some of these packages
as startup options instead of the animation suites.

Ian.
mapesdhs wrote:
Didn't PA evolve into the Alias Studio series, aimed at CAD? Design Studio, Surface Studio, etc. I have some
demo videos somewhere, and glossy brochures. When one executes Alias 11, it offers some of these packages
as startup options instead of the animation suites.

I know that the design guys at SRAM used to use Pro/e for the majority of their work, then do some of the surfacing in Design Studio and import. Since Wildfire improved the surfacing tools they skip using Design Studio now. My surfacing abilities suck so I can't comment.

For normal CAD, I tried once or twice and it was too strange.
As luck would have it, I do Have Alias 11 on My Fuel .. I can check the startup options.. :)

*Just got up, 09.00 am here, switching on the Fuel now*

Btw, there was someone asking in a previous thread how the Realtime OpenGL performance in Poweranimator was compared to Maya. Well, if you compare Maya 6.5 with Alias 11, Maya wins hands down. No contest. Where I can have a model of almost 360K polygons running at 20-25 fps in Maya on my Fuel with a V12, I get like 1 Fps in Alias 11. :shock: So Alias 11 is extremely slow, at least on my system, maybe some configuration one has to do to make it faster.?

Damn, the Fuel is slow today.....

*yawn*

Booting

Okay, that was weird.. It's standing here, just after the selftests and starting to boot, but locks up just when it is setting rbaud to 19200.

Guess I wont be able to check it out since it seems my Fuel just broke down.. Ah, crap.. :(

/jonas

Edit fixed some errors in my text. :)

-----------------
Old polygon wrangler

Back again.. Took the Fuel apart, and checked the memory modules, nothing burnt or anything, check all the cables, cooling ducts/fans and reassembly.

Now it is working again.. I got a red blinking light when she just stod there, freaking me out, considering how much she cost me. My beautiful, practically mint condition Fuel. :shock:

Anyway.. Testing the Alias 11 now.

In the "starting box of Alias 11 you have the following options:
Advance Design Animation
Direct Model

AutoStudio

SurfaceStudio

DesignStudio

I myself have only tested the stuff under Studio.

/Jonas

-----------------
Old polygon wrangler

Octane / Dual Head

http://twitter.com/GeekTronixShop
mapesdhs wrote:
Remind me in a month or two. :D No time atm. :\

Ian.

super bump here :D

As a member previously suggested, it would be a good thing to put screen captures of old Alias and Wavefront graphics applications during the pre-Irix 6.5 era, since there are none on the internet. (ALias/2, /3, PowerAnimator, MotionBuilder, The Advanced Visualizer, Kinemation, Dynamation...).

They have a special place in CGI history.

Since people are already bumping this thread back to life, here is a screenshot of Maya Composer 5.5 running on my SGI O2 system .

Here is a link to the fullsize image: Maya_Composer_5.5_screenshot.png

The image shows a bluescreen image of a Tiger Lily being keyed with Maya Composer. A TravelMatte node was used as a garbage mask to hide the uneven lighting on the edges of the bluescreen. The final composite operation is performed with an Over node and the output is written to disk with a FileOut node.

:O2: SGI O2, 195 MHz R10K, 320 MB ram, AV1 Video i/o card, 36GB HD
here we have a PowerAnimator 7.5. compared to the default settings i changed the following:
- small palette/shelve icons
- icon labels
- small multilister icons

the rest is default. 7.5 had the final "look" and most of the menus and features later versions had. the last version to look like this was 9.7. at that time however PA didn't exist anymore but since the basic program always was the same it still lived on in a way although the entertainment branch wasn't sold anymore. that however was just a licensing model that showed a few features less or more here and there so just from the look of it you couldn't tell if it was studio or animator or whatever else versions they had over time. the last official version was 9.0 (released nov. 98).
versions before 7 had a different interface. the palette on the left didn't exist and there were no icons. instead at the bottom there were big buttons sorted by sets (pick, xform, render ...). pretty much the same subdivisions (pun!) as the menus in the picture have. when pushed the menu came out above those buttons. in version 7 and above you can still have that effect if you right click on the tab labels.

the blue lambert shader was the PA default unlike the studio versions which came with a silver like blinn as default. if you wanna use that shader in any other 3d program here are the values:
RGB: 0, 150, 255
diffuse: 0.8

PA was/is a great program. the gui is very well designed and very fast. the results of the renderer look quite neat imho and many of the default features look great right away. things like light effects or particles e.g.. PA has always been my favorite and still is. there's so much more to tell but i think for a quick overview it's enough now. anyway if you wanna know more about something in particular don't hesitate to ask :)

The blue lambert shader was the PA default unlike the studio versions which came with a silver like blinn as default. if you wanna use that shader in any other 3d program here are the values:
RGB: 0, 150, 255
diffuse: 0.8

Thanks Foetz.

I always liked the colour of the Power Animator / Studio Tools lambert blue. Since I now have the exact color values I'm going to have to change my copy of Maya to use that as the default color for the initialShadingGroup lambert1 material.

Here is the Maya MEL code for the Power Animator Blue color:
Code:
setAttr "lambert1.color" -type double3 0 0.588235 1 ;

To automatically apply the "Power Animator blue" color to the default lambert1 material in Maya you can paste the following code in your userSetup.mel script:
Code:
scriptJob -e "SceneOpened" "setAttr \"lambert1.color\" -type double3 0 0.588235 1";

Regards,
Andrew

not an application screen shot but i figured it might fit the topic well anyway :)

That would be great, especially of the latter. I'm a big fan of Houdini, although I've never had the chance to use/run PRISMS. (I remember reading about it on the SESI web site, also in magazines at the time. Lots of great stories.)
:Tezro: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2:

• Offering various remaining systems and parts, several interestingly compatible with both IRIX and OpenVMS ( AXP and I64 );
• Looking for an SGI O3000 IP59 1-GHz MIPS R16000 quad-processor node board (for a Tezro).
Winnili wrote:
foetz wrote: i hope of course i can fire up an old machine a make some pics of explore 4.2 and prisms.

That would be great, especially of the latter. I'm a big fan of Houdini, although I've never had the chance to use/run PRISMS. (I remember reading about it on the SESI web site, also in magazines at the time. Lots of great stories.)

i'm afraid that machine died but you can grab a few shots over there: http://nicknimble.com/index.php?option= ... 55&lang=en

if you wanna know anything else about prisms i'll try my best to recall what i can :)
r-a-c.de
Thanks for this link and the scan :D . If I remember correctly we can see an older release of Prisms running of Crimson on one of the "movie magic" magazine. It was about a movie with some CGI effect on a black cat.

I always wanted to found some screenshot of TDI Explore 3.x and Vertigo 9 etc, very hard to find compared to classic Alias of Softimage product (newer version)
:PI: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Onyx2: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Fuel: :PrismDT:
a small easter gift, the PowerAnimator 8 games flyer as it was handed out back then :)
r-a-c.de
i just happened to read the intro on the page with the prisms pics and noticed what a n00b that guy is. typical ipad kiddy.
if it doesn't look like on the iphone it's automatically ancient and bad. not a single word about the actual operation of the program but instead just dumb and superficial phrases. i bet if you'd just switch the gui widgets to apple defaults but change nothing else his text would be very different :P

anyway don't get fooled by that article prisms is very good and unique. it's quite technical and doesn't follow the usual usage mechanisms. it's great for serious construction and well structured setups. not so suitable tho for the quick and dirty things like alias for example where pretty much everything is click & drag. and yes some parts are standalone programs which can be an advantage especially for big scenes so you don't have to load the big main app with the full big scene. also makes it more solid if one part should crash.
it's not for everyone and some people never liked it; not back then and not today but if used right it'll serve you well in many ways :)
r-a-c.de
foetz wrote: i just happened to read the intro on the page with the prisms pics and noticed what a n00b that guy is. typical ipad kiddy.

Same here, I also became uninterested in the ‘accompanying texts’ after reading into the first paragraphs (although I did amazingly finish reading through it, somehow). Only the screenshots were of value to me.

if it doesn't look like on the iphone it's automatically ancient and bad. not a single word about the actual operation of the program but instead just dumb and superficial phrases.

Notice that he did model his (if you ask me, bulky, bland and unimpressive) ‘render farm’ after Google's first ‘production servers’. I mean, that was roughly from the same time period, wasn't it? I don't see him knocking that for being old and unwieldy. Unlike PRISMS, a very well-made, excellently thought out and robust software package, it was rather ‘ghetto’ rigged. I guess he must have a good reason for his double standards, or my value judgment just happens to differ a bit .

I also noticed that he's from here, but didn't see an education listed. Reminds me of what almost happened to me, as it almost seems he didn't finish his study(?), when I was offered by C.O.R.E. DP to come work for them before I had finished my study (which I declined at the time). I guess, if my suspicion is correct, he'd prove once that not having an education isn't ‘the end’ in terms of job/career opportunities and especially in this line of work... (I later then also made the stupid mistake of pursuing an IT/ICT study, amongst a few things, to ‘diversify’ my curriculum vitae.)

i bet if you'd just switch the gui widgets to apple defaults but change nothing else his text would be very different :P

Please don't give him and his ilk any ideas...

anyway don't get fooled by that article prisms is very good and unique. it's quite technical and doesn't follow the usual usage mechanisms.

Actually, isn't Houdini even also missing a few features and functionalities, like the PRISMS morphing tools? I certainly don't remember seeing them in any Houdini, both old and new, ever since.

it's not for everyone and some people never liked it; not back then and not today but if used right it'll serve you well in many ways :)

It's too bad nobody can use it anymore, I for one would love to try it (especially a N32 release). I guess I've permanently missed my chance, years ago...
:Tezro: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2:

• Offering various remaining systems and parts, several interestingly compatible with both IRIX and OpenVMS ( AXP and I64 );
• Looking for an SGI O3000 IP59 1-GHz MIPS R16000 quad-processor node board (for a Tezro).
Winnili wrote: Actually, isn't Houdini even also missing a few features and functionalities, like the PRISMS morphing tools? I certainly don't remember seeing them in any Houdini, both old and new, ever since.

hmm good question. i never used that so i didn't miss it :P
if they did indeed scrap it maybe it was because they concentrated more on the 3d than the compositing part of the program(s).

however for someone who likes houdini sage might be instesting. it came with v6 and above iirc and is sort of a prototype of the modelling as houdini had it later. you could switch the gui to either a full 3d view (as you'd get when maximising the houdini perspective view) or have a split view with a large sop net area on the right and a smaller 3d view port with the sop options below on the left.
btw the font used for the prisms logo is Bookman-Demi which is part of x_eoe.sw.Xfonts. bevel it a bit and there you go :D
r-a-c.de
I did find composer 4.5. The interface is slightly different, more simple. There is i.e. no timeline like in version 5.5.

Since I do not have a license for it, it's only running in demo mode.

hhoffman wrote: Since I do not have a license for it, it's only running in demo mode.

You can get a license, just not from Autodesk. :mrgreen: Oh I did not just go there. Moderators! Moderators! Why isn't the "report to moderators" function enabled here at nekochan? Are we that trustworthy of a group? :shock:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
vishnu wrote: ...Why isn't the "report to moderators" function enabled here at nekochan? Are we that trustworthy of a group? :shock:

Vishnu,

If you are into self-reporting, the report button is to the left of the quote button on every nekochan message. :lol: The report button has a small triangle shaped icon with a red exclamation mark inside it. You can choose to report questionable links, advertising related posts, or off topic messages.

Cheers,
Andrew

Here is a screenshot that shows the report icon:
Andrew Hazelden, VFX Artist
Personal Blog: www.AndrewHazelden.com