Everything Else

I bought a thing and now my money is gone - Page 1

I never thought I would ever be able to own one of these. I ended up renting a car and making a 4 hour drive both ways to go pick it up. Looking back the day after Christmas may not have been the most calm time to be on the highway,quite hectic.

Meh looks cool. I guess the next order of business should be to get a keyboard.

Between this and the altix 350 the power meter spins like a top now.
:Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: :Indigo2: :Crimson: Image :Tezro: :Tezro:
Wow that thing is mint! :shock: Who'd ya get it from anyone we know? Can I have it? :lol:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
Very nice MrBill. Very nice.
Image Image
Allow me to contribute to the droolage.
:Indigo: R4000 :Indigo: R4000 :Indigo: R4000 :Indigo2: R4400 :Indigo2IMP: R4400 :Indigo2: R8000 :Indigo2IMP: R10000 :Indy: R4000PC :Indy: R4000SC :Indy: R4600 :Indy: R5000SC :O2: R5000 :O2: RM7000 :Octane: 2xR10000 :Octane: R12000 :O200: 2xR12000 :O200: - :O200: 2x2xR10000 :Fuel: R16000 :O3x0: 4xR16000 :A350:
among more than 150 machines : Apollo, Data General, Digital, HP, IBM, MIPS before SGI , Motorola, NeXT, SGI, Solbourne, Sun...
Wait, there's a machine that miod *doesn't* have an example of?!? ;)

Glad to see they included the remote control, MrBill. :lol:

Congrats though - nice score. It'd be easier to get the keyboard converter though link (I'm not affiliated).

EDIT: Also, what's that bit of DECish looking gear in the right foreground of your photo?
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube:
smj wrote: Congrats though - nice score. It'd be easier to get the keyboard converter though link (I'm not affiliated).
I'm not either, but for what it's worth I'll mention the keyboard converter in that link is made/sold by long-time forum member The Keeper (Chris). He's good people.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
smj wrote: Wait, there's a machine that miod *doesn't* have an example of?!? ;)

I'm staying away of the large iron those days. I mean, I'd love to get my hands on a Crimson or a Challenge, but I don't have room for such a machine and this wouldn't be a reasonable decision.
:Indigo: R4000 :Indigo: R4000 :Indigo: R4000 :Indigo2: R4400 :Indigo2IMP: R4400 :Indigo2: R8000 :Indigo2IMP: R10000 :Indy: R4000PC :Indy: R4000SC :Indy: R4600 :Indy: R5000SC :O2: R5000 :O2: RM7000 :Octane: 2xR10000 :Octane: R12000 :O200: 2xR12000 :O200: - :O200: 2x2xR10000 :Fuel: R16000 :O3x0: 4xR16000 :A350:
among more than 150 machines : Apollo, Data General, Digital, HP, IBM, MIPS before SGI , Motorola, NeXT, SGI, Solbourne, Sun...
miod wrote: I don't have room for such a machine and this wouldn't be a reasonable decision.

resources[]={ room, electricity, time, … }
so I prefer to be focused only on IP30 :D
I wish I could enter into the vegetable garden of William Gibson , on the right of a director, to decide how a film is ultimately released for public viewing, but I am not a nor Cyberpunk writer neither a dude in Hollywood , and my * flawless English * still looks like an old rusty trailer which needs a fix-up, so my personal wonderland begins with a pill ... tumbling down the rabbit hole , where the sky above the router port is the color of television, tuned to a dead channel and some gears still need a debugger there.
First of all: congrats with a very nice catch, MrBill!

miod wrote: I don't have room for such a machine and this wouldn't be a reasonable decision.

Buying a Crimson has nothing to do with reasonable decisions, it's a matter falling victim to incurable red fever .

Been there, done that , didn't regret it :mrgreen:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
jan-jaap wrote: Buying a Crimson has nothing to do with reasonable decisions, it's a matter falling victim to incurable red fever .

Yes, but I already have the unique Octane Crimson , remember? :lol:
miod wrote:
jan-jaap wrote: Buying a Crimson has nothing to do with reasonable decisions, it's a matter falling victim to incurable red fever .

Yes, but I already have the unique Octane Crimson , remember? :lol:

I think Dr. Dave's .sig applies here:
Dr. Dave wrote: Once you step up to the big iron, you learn all about physics, electrical standards, and first aid - usually all in the same day
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
ivelegacy wrote:

resources[]={ room, electricity, time, … }
so I prefer to be focused only on IP30 :D

Me too. I don't take in big iron systems only desktop sized ones. Though I completely respect anyone who decides to take on the heavy metal.
My rule is they have to be able to serve some useful purpose.
:O2: O2 - (Mantadoc) - R5K - 200MHZ - 128MB RAM - 6.5.30
:Octane: Octane - (Montrealais) - R12K - 2*360MHZ - 1024MB RAM - EMXI. - 6.5.30
Alphaserver DS10 - (Vandoc) - EV6 - 466MHZ - 256MB RAM
Sun Ultra 5 - (Quedoc) - UltraSparc II - 400MHZ - 512MB RAM
ASUS K55VD - (Mapleglen)- I5 - Dual Core 2.5GHZ - 8 GB RAM
Dell L502X - (Algorail) - I7 - Quad Core 2GHZ - 6 GB RAM
As jan-jaap says, been there done that...

-ks

:Onyx: :Onyx: :Crimson: :O2000: :Onyx2: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane2: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :320: :540: :O3x0: :1600SW: :1600SW: :hpserv:

See them all >here<
kshuff wrote: As jan-jaap says, been there done that...

Times three!

Yu're gonna shoot your eye out with that thing!
:Skywriter:

DECUS Member 368596
Krokodil wrote: I don't take in big iron systems only desktop sized ones

here I have only these machines

• Cerberus , which serves the whole local infranet, exporting NFS (Irix and linux filesharing), SMB/CIFS (Windows filesharing), SSHFS (RS/P, over FUSE), HTTP (personal wikipedia, personal blog), and RAID mirroring on a pool of 3 pairs of hard drives. It's located in the living room, it does makes no noise, it has a 7" LCD with touch screen on the front, and it's easy to control, so my girl friend is happy with its wikipedia and blog full of fashion things (OMG, I have reserved a pair of hard drive, a.k.a the whole pool0, to her needs)
  • Octane2 , aka the big iron in blue hulk skin, currently does not wear any plastic and it lives hidden in the attic, attached to a control box with a lot of thin cables and wire going in and out its front-plane. I was said that it looks like a troll in its cyberpunk cave out from a Gibson's story (o'really :lol: ? )
  • RiscPC/600 1 Slice, it lives in my little office standing vertically, looking for a second slice in order to hide an MC68332 inside, plus its equipment. I have hidden an embedded linux board inside with the purpose of providing a better file sharing (may be VNC) to RiscOS, which runs a true DOS box over gemini_II chip (486DX4@100Mhz). It's a very nice, quite, fast, and funny machine, especially if you install a DDE kit :D
  • RS/P plus its external harddrive, it is so tiny and smaller than hulk by several order of magnitudes, that it can live in the living room, hidden under the hifi box, like a dwarf in its cave. It's MIPS32-R2, it shares a part (compiled as MIPS1) of its rootfs with Octane2 (MIPS4), oh well, but it worked only with kernel 2.6.17, cause kernel 4.1.* does not work with binaries compiled for PAGESIZE=4Kbyte, it wants PAGESIZE=64Kbyte. I am distilling a new stage, which does work :D
  • XP217 Xterm , located in my little office, near RiscPC, no bigger than a toaster, it's tftp-bootstrapped by Cerberus, employed as console of everything, including Irix

my girl friend said
- chaos is not allowed, things must be in order!
- things here (especially things in the living room) must have a purpose

corollary: if she doesn't see, then it's ok
consequence: things must be hidden, like Transformers or dwarfs in their cave

so, can I use Lord Crimson as "wine refrigerator" :D :D :D ?
I wish I could enter into the vegetable garden of William Gibson , on the right of a director, to decide how a film is ultimately released for public viewing, but I am not a nor Cyberpunk writer neither a dude in Hollywood , and my * flawless English * still looks like an old rusty trailer which needs a fix-up, so my personal wonderland begins with a pill ... tumbling down the rabbit hole , where the sky above the router port is the color of television, tuned to a dead channel and some gears still need a debugger there.
ivelegacy wrote: my girl friend said
- chaos is not allowed, things must be in order!
- things here (especially things in the living room) must have a purpose

She is right, though I cannot imagine life with you is ever without chaos, even with all objects in their proper place ;)

ivelegacy wrote: so, can I use Lord Crimson as "wine refrigerator" :D :D :D ?

Yes .

Be warned that if you should choose to do this, I will come over, quarter you , and kill you. In that order :mrgreen:
miod wrote:
smj wrote: Wait, there's a machine that miod *doesn't* have an example of?!? ;)

I'm staying away of the large iron those days. I mean, I'd love to get my hands on a Crimson or a Challenge, but I don't have room for such a machine and this wouldn't be a reasonable decision.

I've sort of exhausted my big iron space allotment on the POWER6 (which isn't super large) and two Apple Network Servers (which aren't small). I have a PDP-11 in storage that currently has to stay in storage since I have no room for it. :(

I'd love a Crimson though, if nothing else for the history. And who doesn't like red computers?
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
Big Iron can get you laid ivalegacy.. Are you sure lady GaGa exists?

A busted Crimson would indeed make a super beer/wine chiller.. I'd love one... in a bigger house..
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
MyDungeon() << :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: MyLoft() << :540: :Octane: MyWork() << :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo:
skywriter wrote: Times three!

You need to update your sig some time :)
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen : R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium : R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other systems in storage: :O2: x 2, :Indy: x 2
Trippynet wrote:
skywriter wrote: Times three!

You need to update your sig some time :)

The SGI's I've owned would never fit the sig space
:Skywriter:

DECUS Member 368596