Everything Else

Android Phones - Page 1

what's considered a decent android phone rockers & gators?

other than fiddling for a few seconds w/ demo units in store, ive never really used any of them. i read online that each manufacturer bloats/tweeks the core android os for their product line and only the nexus series come w/ a lean+mean version of the OS.

what would you suggest to an older person w/ minimal needs (email, family video-calls). do android phones boogie with iPhones nicely?

(mod team: if you think that this should better be under "Misc OS/Hardware", please teleport accordingly )
fu wrote:

The Assist just got a Samsung for her mom. I believe that's an Android ? Back is rounded and has a rubberized covering like a wetsuit, feels nice and non-slip, front is plain and clean. If she hadn't already made such a big deal out of getting an iPhone she'd keep this one for herself. $200 complete. Costs us $15 a month to run. Man, is AT&T making a killing off the Americans who get a "free" phone :)

I'd look into it. Not sure what model it is but will check ... Ah.

GT-S5830i

--
This Colonel Sanders job is gettin' me down ...
hamei wrote:
Man, is AT&T making a killing off the Americans who get a "free" phone :)

Their making a killing PERIOD, as is all the other carriers, Verizon is the worst. Anyway, just picked up a ZTE Avail z990, nice phone, does what I want. It's an entry level Android phone, certainly not top of the line but I like it.

:Onyx: :Onyx: :Crimson: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane2: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :0300: :Indy: :Indy: :320: :540: :1600SW: :1600SW: :hpserv:

See them all >here<
fu wrote:

other than fiddling for a few seconds w/ demo units in store, ive never really used any of them. i read online that each manufacturer bloats/tweeks the core android os for their product line and only the nexus series come w/ a lean+mean version of the OS.

what would you suggest to an older person w/ minimal needs (email, family video-calls). do android phones boogie with iPhones nicely?

(mod team: if you think that this should better be under "Misc OS/Hardware", please teleport accordingly )

These days, pretty much any Android phone is nice and usable (v7 CPU over 1GHz). Long gone are the days of the A32 chugging along with a 528MHz ARMv6 and OpenGL ES 1.1.

What to look for is hardware capabilities, some have really nice screens, NFC and whatnot, while others do not.

The big hurdle these days is (in the US) operator bloatware and (in the US and everywhere else) OS updates which on non-nexus devices, the manufacturer incentive is to sell a new phone instead of producing updates on their proprietary driver blobs. Yes, they are required to release the kernel source, but this is far from the whole
package required, often custom ROMs[1] do not have complete camera support due to missing drivers.

Right now however, the Nexus 4 is out, which apparently is a brilliant device, cheap and capable (but without MicroSD card reader and LTE radio). And also out of stock. Apart from the Nexus series, I would look for a popular high-end device, perhaps last generation if the price is too much. This means that they will have good custom ROM support, and you can get something like CyanogenMod[2] for it which is a great ROM that I've been running
on my HTC phones since CM6.

But, I hear you cry, is it suitable for non-geeks?

Well, I don't know, being somewhat of one myself, but do I know of one decidedly non-geeky girl who suffered some odd, cheap Samsung, and my mom picked Android right up when she took my battered old HTC Hero (CM7.2) for a replacement phone, phoning, texting and facebooking after helping her remember her passwords. (I'll be trying to get her a Nexus 4 for Christmas. Don't tell)

As for boogying with iPhones, all the standard protocols should work, whatever else you might mean i do not know :-)

But what about all this rooting and stuff, I don't want to have to do that!

Well, don't then. These days, as of the generation of phones launched this year, the Android skinning has been stepped down a fair bit (apart from HTC who persist with their bloody Sense). Reports from the one news source I can be arsed to read[3] say that both motorola not-blur-anymore and samsung touchwiz have been significantly reduced. OS update support is still a problem of course, but beware of making this a bigger horse than it is. The key here is again, select a popular device. Sony have previously been very good at providing updates for older hardware, but lately seem to have been losing interest.

Anyway, Android still is a bit of a minefield if you want the edge devices and absolutely crave the bleeding edge software, as my brother who chose a HTC Desire HD knows well. He does have a Jellybean ROM though, courtesy of some weirdo at XDA[4].

Who knows, maybe the immense desire for the Nexus 4 will kick the other manufacturers in the butt (I hear the N4 sold out in 30 minutes in the UK) and we'll get the option of not using their skin.

END ramble.

[1] custom ROM meaning any firmware for a given phone made by a third party, either by hacking together binary bits or building from source (like CyanogenMod[2])
[2] http://www.cyanogenmod.org/
[3] http://theverge.com/
[4] http://forum.xda-developers.com/

hamei's assist & your mom's case sound encouraging as i'm looking for a phone for my father who has to spend some time in the hospital. all he needs is email and video calls w/ his family and a tablet/laptop won't do.

re. iphone<->android boogie: facetime is iphone only but skype is cross-platform so it should work ok. i read that i phones can only send/transmit files via bluetooth to/from iOS devices only and given the fact that iphones don't have removable storage (xD, etc) all file transfers will have to go through the net instead of device-to-device.
I think that it depends on the device with Bluetooth.

I'm personally getting my first mobile phone, a Galaxy Nexus, soon.
I have a Galaxy Nexus. It's a very good, though not perfect phone. It has no SD card, and its storage is accessed over aggravating MTP instead of something proper like USB Mass Storage, and I miss the charging light my Nexus One had. But the screen is nice, its battery life is not spectacular but certainly reasonable, I have an unlocked GSM version, the processor is more than up to the task of most jobs and I get updates as soon as the Mountain View Chocolate Factory poots them out. I'm sitting out the Nexus 4 and I'll get the one after that.

fu wrote:
thanks for your thoughts rockers, will pop in store spend 5 minutes on 2 or 3 of them and try to find out if they fly or not. much oblige for the lowdown fellow duck :)

hamei's assist & your mom's case sound encouraging as i'm looking for a phone for my father who has to spend some time in the hospital. all he needs is email and video calls w/ his family and a tablet/laptop won't do.

re. iphone<->android boogie: facetime is iphone only but skype is cross-platform so it should work ok. i read that i phones can only send/transmit files via bluetooth to/from iOS devices only and given the fact that iphones don't have removable storage (xD, etc) all file transfers will have to go through the net instead of device-to-device.

It depends on the app. I use Blue FiRe for recording with a tascam mike interface sometimes and it also has it's own ftp and webserver in addition to bluetooth and itunes sync et al. Works out of box.

Only thing I use bluetooth for is the car stereo and my electric shoes .. but it is definitely the future.

"InfiniteReality Graphics - Power Through Complexity"
The only Android phone I have is a HTC HD2 (Got it for free from my brother. Yes, I know, it came with WM6.5. I installed a CyanogenMod "port" on it). Initially, I installed CM7 on it, recently I upgraded to CM10. It works ok, but battery life isn't much.

i just grabbed a sony xperia (no nexus in stock). looked like the one with the cleanest ui in store. installing skype for video calls was a breeze and i'll check the file transfer apps later. duck is right, the kid in store warned me that most manufacturers don't update the android os for older devices in high hopes of selling new ones. hope all this works ok.

guardian452 wrote:
It depends on the app. I use Blue FiRe for recording with a tascam mike interface sometimes and it also has it's own ftp and webserver in addition to bluetooth and itunes sync et al. Works out of box.

thanks guard, gonna give that a try. all previous tests to transfer directly from one device to the other failed. i was thinkinkg of a simple scenario: you want to transfer a file from your iphone to your friend's android phone next to you. sure you can email/dropbox/doobeedoo it but wouldn't it be a heck simpler if you could just transfer it via irda/bluetooth/ladeeda, from one device to the next one?

guardian452 wrote:
Only thing I use bluetooth for is the car stereo and my electric shoes .. but it is definitely the future.

promise you're gonna mod a pair of red shoes (to shoes dance the blues to) for me, till then gather up your girl + friends and electrify something sleek to swing about :)

Attachment:
swing_shoes.jpg
swing_shoes.jpg [ 148.34 KiB | Viewed 255 times ]
Attachment:
burn_your_soles.png
burn_your_soles.png [ 243.38 KiB | Viewed 255 times ]
fu wrote:
... all previous tests to transfer directly from one device to the other failed. i was thinkinkg of a simple scenario: you want to transfer a file from your iphone to your friend's android phone next to you. sure you can email/dropbox/doobeedoo it but wouldn't it be a heck simpler if you could just transfer it via irda/bluetooth/ladeeda, from one device to the next one?

Look at geo's ipmsg thingy (thread in /development above). There's an Android version. There are probably plenty of applets for transferring files but the interesting thing about this one is that it is (in theory) cross-platform between phones and computers. Not just "Windows and Macintosh cross-platform", either. Could be handy ...
Phones used to transfer files over irda and bluetooth. That went away when phones got "smart" :( Back when you could transfer midi file ringtones and blurry VGA-resolution photos.

iOS struggles with apps like that. Not having a filesystem makes the machine simpler, but it also makes it a lot harder to transfer and manipulate files......

So, while FiRe works very well to transfer files, it only works with audio recordings made within fire.

"InfiniteReality Graphics - Power Through Complexity"
That's amazing. It hadn't even occurred to me that iOS might not even let you do bluetooth file transfers, but I guess it makes sense if you can't see files. Way back when I still had my Hero there used to be all kinds of software where you could pass files (or image objects or whatever) via the (mobile) network, I think one was even so that you had to wave your phone (accelerometer) and then it would fly off to the nearest (location) device... :-)

I'm fairly sure these existed for iOS as well, fuzzy memories seem to indicate that I tried it with my brothers ipod touch.

Over here, there's a lot of fuzz (hype?) regarding Samsung's Galaxy SIII and Galaxy Note II. As I don't own an Android device yet, I'm tempted to get me one or the other of these two. Any recommendations?

Only for the record - I peruse just an iPhone 4, and I like it. Of course, in terms of sold units Samsung is way ahead of Apple - but then again, Apple all the time had only one model [the iPhone in up to now in its 5th generation] whereas Samsung has myriads of different models, coming out on a monthly basis [check http://www.gsmarena.com ]. Also, while Android runs on a few other devices as well, iOS runs only on Apple. Which reminds me, while I do have friends who swear on Blackberry - next to dead by all accounts -, it's the same with Irix - not too many of us are really so seriously into it anymore, or are you [I am]?

And, a bit OT - would you think the recent marriage between Nokia and Windows will be a prosperous one?

Somehow I doubt it.

They may get some phones sold and it can work as a short term solution, but in the long run they have nothing to differentiate from the rest and will become just another Windows phone maker. I see no reason for anybody to buy their phone from Nokia if they can get similar phone with cheaper price from elsewhere.
Oskar45 wrote:
Over here, there's a lot of fuzz (hype?) regarding Samsung's Galaxy SIII and Galaxy Note II. As I don't own an Android device yet, I'm tempted to get me one or the other of these two. Any recommendations?

Only for the record - I peruse just an iPhone 4, and I like it. Of course, in terms of sold units Samsung is way ahead of Apple - but then again, Apple all the time had only one model [the iPhone in up to now in its 5th generation] whereas Samsung has myriads of different models, coming out on a monthly basis [check http://www.gsmarena.com ]. Also, while Android runs on a few other devices as well, iOS runs only on Apple. Which reminds me, while I do have friends who swear on Blackberry - next to dead by all accounts -, it's the same with Irix - not too many of us are really so seriously into it anymore, or are you [I am]?

And, a bit OT - would you think the recent marriage between Nokia and Windows will be a prosperous one?

Samsung Galaxy SIII and Galaxy Note II

Disclaimer - I used to work for Samsung teaching people how to write apps for Samsung's bada platform, I even wrote a book on it.

I don't like Java but a lot of people do, and Android I suspect is where most people are headed. Generally I like Samsung products, and inside the company there is one word I would describe the company: ernest. They don't always get things right, are not always best of category, but they put 100% behind everything they attempt.

recent marriage between Nokia and Windows..?

I have very grave misgivings about Windows Phone 8...

I am toying around with Visual Studio 12 Windows Phone 8. Its clunky, trying to port even just one of my simplest apps makes me pine for MFC at the best of times and want to take hostages at worst of times. The Nokia Lumia 820 and 920 have very very pretty cases (I'd like a yellow one), a certain amount of IT people are lemmings and thus I suspect some people will buy it just because it is Windows (and some people (especially Linux fanbois) won't buy it just because it is Windows). I just got a shinny new Samsung laptop and Windows8 Pro is almost unusable on it. Moving the mouse cursor on the trackpad too quickly and it interprets it as a swipe between applications and thus you get sick of accidentally switching between applications when you don't intend to do so.
The sample apps in the Windows Phone 8 look really ugly and the samples and SDK documentation is full of BS marketing spiel, I just want to know what parameters to pass to a method, not wade through a lot of BS about leveraging partnerships. The people at the Windows Phone 8 Seminar don't always strike me as the sharpest tools in the shed either....

There seems no built in support for social network stuff in Windows Phone 8. Sit in a cafe or on public transport and stop and watch people, they are all sending text messages, on Facebook, tweeting or whatever, to do that on Windows Phone 8, I'd have to pretend to be a web browser, send http requests to facebook or twitter, or weibo or whatever, you are talking probably thousands and thousands of lines of code to do that. By way of contrast, for a laugh, I did a Augmented Reality app(*) on iOS (iPad and iPhone), the wife suggested it on Tuesday after breakfast, I did the graphics in GIMP and Maya on Tuesday, coded camera stuff on Wednesday and Thursday, copied a selector (a Objective-C method) containing about 10 lines of code for the HUD picker for facebook, twitter, email, etc.. Friday took care of the child while Dr Wife went in to deal with students, Saturday debugging, Sunday released, Monday went into the app store. 6 days, I am now two days into porting an app to Windows Phone 8 and I am having to dig around in xaml and UriMapper just to switch between two forms in an app. Its convoluted, tedious, confusing...
The live tiles thing is kinda cutesy but generally working in the Windows Phone 8 platform on a daily basis would probably make people want to jump off a bridge or something... I talk to people in phone shops and when I mention Windows Phone 8, they tend to give me a "are you mad?" look and seem to want to sell an Android or Apple device..

R.

* InstaElf, ( https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/instael ... ?ls=1&mt=8 ) ( http://www.pymblesoftware.com/Apps/iOS/InstaElf/ ) you hold the iPhone or iPad up at someone, position their face under the overlaid Santa hat and push a big red button and a HUD display comes up with a choice of Facebook, Twitter, or email and their image plus a Santa hat over the top is ready to share on any of the social networks.

アレゲはアレゲ以上のなにものでもなさげ -- アレゲ研究家

:Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2R: :Onyx2RE: :Onyx2: :O3x04R: :O3x0: :O200: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :PI: :PI: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x Mac, 3 x SUN, Alpha DS20E, Alpha 800 5/550, 3 x RS/6000, Amiga 4000 VideoToaster, Amiga4000 -030, 733MHz Sam440 AmigaOS 4.1 update 1. Tandem Himalaya S-Series Nonstop S72000 ServerNet.

Sold: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo:

Cortex ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cortex-th ... 11?sk=info
Minnie ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Minnie-th ... 02?sk=info
Book ----> http://pymblesoftware.com/book/
Github ---> https://github.com/pymblesoftware
Visit http://www.pymblesoftware.com
Search for "Pymble", "InstaElf", "CryWhy" or "Cricket Score Sheet" in the iPad App store or search for "Pymble" or "CryWhy" in the iPhone App store.
Oskar45 wrote:
Over here, there's a lot of fuzz (hype?) regarding Samsung's Galaxy SIII and Galaxy Note II. As I don't own an Android device yet, I'm tempted to get me one or the other of these two.

I mentioned that the Assist got her mom a Samsung Something. It's one of the above, cost $200 cash, works the same as all of them.

It's nicely made and works fine. She hates it but then, she hates all of these stupid swipe-n-wipe phones but there really aren't any other choices now, everyone has gone to the ridiculous finger-poking paradigm. She only uses the phone for sms and talking, the rest of it is a one-time novelty. No, she's not old :)

Except for the crappy interface, the Samsung is pretty nice. And you can't get away from that awful interface today so you grin and bear it. It's $400 cheaper than an iPhone.
I have a 1st generation Galaxy Note.

The Note's slightly larger size makes it just big enough to be a capable/sensible ebook reader. The stylus thing is a tad gimmicky, but with its good battery life, great screen, ok camera and good wifi tethering options - there isn't much to complain about.

I think it's a good all-round piece of kit.
Oskar45 wrote:
...Any recommendations?

Only for the record - I peruse just an iPhone 4, and I like it.

if you're happy with the iPhone then you'd better stick to it oskar, i don't see any reason to switch to a similarly-priced android phone unless you get a kick out of the reasons that the fellow duckling mentions above.

2 weeks after, the sony xperia does what my father needs. it looks to me that anyone who doesn want (or cannot afford) to spend the iphoney-kind of 3 figures, can get anlong with an android just fine. the interface sucks (esp. if you're used to apple/ios) but i hear it's getting better (or it used to be worse). the android freedoom vs ios closed closet is a teenage joke (you're just gonna get lost in google's labyrinth instead of apple's).

i saw a couple of windows phones in store. there must be some curse in microsoft and their UIs as they all resemble some fisher-price toy. you get greeted with a bunch of tiled squares full of crowded streams of data. some are blinking, others are flashing and another one plays a slideshow of pics. yipeee!