Apple

April 3rd, Launch day! - Page 2

Quote:
$150 for just the iPad

holy shit. I have one of these:
Attachment:
planet-pack.jpg
planet-pack.jpg [ 11.01 KiB | Viewed 155 times ]

It was $12. Waterproof, lifetime warranty, made in USA, et al.

But seriously... for my zune I have a clear polycarbonate belkin case. It features a belt clip that can be rotated to form a movie-watching stand. With a little hot glue and electrical tape it is reasonably sweat proof.

I have also heard good things about the rubber skins for iphones and blackberrys that add a good amount of grip and protect the case from scratches (unfortunately not the screen!)

Sooooo... to combine leather, skins, and belkin, I believe we are left with this product: http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage. ... Id=510020# supposedly the ipad screen is glass and therefore doesn't scratch :roll:

Quote:
$150 for just the iPad

but, yours is huge, cumbersome, and ugly.

the expensive stuff is awesome.

Could you take note of the packaging, I am rather interested in the design :P .

I put some photos up here:

http://www.nekochan.net/gallery2/v/cels/album51/iPad/

Even the packaging resembles that of the iPhone.

Emachines PC 3.0GHz Dual Core (Intel)
Custom Built Ubuntu PC 1.207GHz (AMD)
Mac G4 1.25GHz
skywriter wrote:
sybrfreq wrote:
Quote:
$150 for just the iPad

but, yours is huge, cumbersome, and ugly.

As far as backpacks go it is pretty small, and IMO that black and green man-purse you posted is pretty ugly. I would never be caught out in public with it; for tastes there are colors.

Some of the gelaskins look pretty cool. I wonder what Gaia or Infinite Oz would look like on a silver psp 3000. (all the demo images have a black machine)

As far as backpacks go it is pretty small, and IMO that black and green man-purse you posted is pretty ugly. I would never be caught out in public with it; for tastes there are colors.

oh, admit it's just the green you can't stand. you can chose any color you want. their black leather is awesome.

Actually the color is fine, but given the choice I would go with black/red (school colors). I am assuming the whole bag is designed to fit an iPad in the main compartment. It's too small to wear. That same bag scaled up to fit a regular laptop and a few books would be not too bad. I'm just under the impression that the whole thing is at most 12 inches wide. Also, those outer pockets are rather distracting and make the whole thing look very busy.

Why not get one of their "ivolution Grip" cases (or something similar) for iPad and treat yourself to one of their real bags? Their grips are cool, much nicer than the belkin one and not even double the price... and it's leather. not just made-in-china leather, but handsewn argentinean leather . (oooh!)

BUT I'm not going to buy one of those fancy-pants bags; occasionaly exposing my bag to torrential downpours, hot sparks, corrosive chemicals, and everything in between, it's nice not having to worry about getting a spot or scratch on it.

i really love that bag, but even for me it's way too expensive. even the $150 for just the iPad is just too much.

It does look nice, but yeah - $280 is fairly steep!

All Rights Reserved.
Note sure if I want to know where recondas found that image. Out of the personal happy snaps was it? ;)

アレゲはアレゲ以上のなにものでもなさげ -- アレゲ研究家

:Onyx2R: :Onyx2RE: :0300: <-> :0300: <-> :0300: :O200: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo: :PI: :PI: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :O2000: :hpserv: J5600,
3 x SUN, 2 x Mac, Alpha DS20E, Alpha 800 5/550, 2 x RS/6000, Amiga 4000 VideoToaster, Amiga4000 -030, 733MHz Sam440 AmigaOS 4.1 update 1. Tandem Himalaya S-Series Nonstop S72000 ServerNet.
PymbleSoftware wrote:
personal happy snaps

I hadn't heard that term before. Thanks for the laugh!
I just picked one up (I had a software idea and couldn't resist - so far development is going quite well with the exception of the hackiness of my scheme to avoid paying Apple another $99 for a developer account). I just grabbed the $499 WiFi model - $629 + $20/month is definitely a lot more than I can spend on an iPad.

I must say it grows on me with every second I use it. I'm still not enamored with it, nor do I think it's a "magical revolution" (more an obvious evolution) or something everyone should have. But I've spent $500 in a lot of stupider ways, and it is without a doubt the best "laying around in bed checking out the web / watching movies / listening to music / reading books" device I've ever owned or seen.

The biggest minuses so far have been the packaging and what was (or rather wasn't) included, and its appeal to everyone around me. I was sorely disappointed by the packaging - my 2010 Macbook Pro had a lot less wasted space in the box and came with at least a cleaning cloth. Analysts have pegged the per-device margin for Apple at over $200 even for the lower-end iPads - at that rate, was $5 for a cleaning cloth and stand or something really too much? I know Apple love selling overpriced accessories, but there's a balance between what you force people to buy and making your consumer feel shafted when they unpack their new device, and I think Apple swung the balance a little too minimalist with the iPad.
And the iPad is *way* too attractive to people around me (even ones who have already used one, own one, or have decided never to buy one) - it's proven near-impossible to get anything done with it myself so far as I've been letting all my friends take it for a spin instead.

At any rate, my buyer's remorse is wearing off as my code gets better (I'm hoping to make at least the cost of the iPad back) so all is well :)

i'm still pleased as punch with it. my netbook, and imac have been sorely underutilized since the ipad came home. i'm disappointed in the turn-about by at&t on data plans, but i'm sticking with the unlimited plan as long as they allow me to keep it. i would have maintained a constant subscription regardless, but it's the [long laments found else where] of the thing.

i don't have a problem with people wanting to use my ipad, i suppose i've cultivated a air or discontent with sharing over time :)

-Mike
get a bluetooth to serial adapter. I assume the thing has bluetooth, right? Not sure how open the OS is (maybe bri3d can say how accessible the BT is) but a console shouldn't be too hard to build... it could exist already.

I got a pair of Arduino BT's for a project and considered repurposing them to do this until I realized they already make rs232 to bluetooth adapters.

i'm still pleased as punch with it. my netbook, and imac have been sorely underutilized since the ipad came home. i'm disappointed in the turn-about by at&t on data plans, but i'm sticking with the unlimited plan as long as they allow me to keep it. i would have maintained a constant subscription regardless, but it's the [long laments found else where] of the thing.

Much the same here. I also have the unlimited data plan and will keep it as long as I'm able. I didn't come close to using 2GB but I like having the option just in case.

Quote:
i don't have a problem with people wanting to use my ipad, i suppose i've cultivated a air or discontent with sharing over time :)

I brought my iPad to Fanime last week and used it extensively in public; nobody gawked or bothered me about it. A friend of mine had his there as well.

sybrfreq wrote:
... but a console shouldn't be too hard to build... it could exist already.

I use iSSH myself. Doesn't solve the direct connect to serial issue but it is a capable console app. I've done quite a bit of remote admin with it so far.

All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote:
sybrfreq wrote:
... but a console shouldn't be too hard to build... it could exist already.

I use iSSH myself. Doesn't solve the direct connect to serial issue but it is a capable console app. I've done quite a bit of remote admin with it so far.

i also use iSSH for shelling to unix systems. presently suprised it was available, as well as my favorite IRC app Colloquy. stuff works; its GREAT!

iSSH isn't perfect but it is really useful.

If you wanted a serial console, it'd probably be easier to use the dock serial port APIs, as Bluetooth is too locked down and your app wouldn't get approved.

All hail the glorious leader and let him bless our desires with his approval.
i hope you guys are alright, esp. your email accounts: AT&T Said to Expose iPad Users’ Addresses
Seriously, who cares? What does it mean to me that yet another person has my email address?

That was probably one of the dumbest and most overblown "hacks" ever, and I don't know why the FBI are even bothering with it. All that happened is some idiot ex-Bantown kids found a servlet AT+T forgot to require auth on that maps IMEI to email, and proceeded to write a script to make GET requests against the entire iPad IMEI range. Then, being idiot ex-Bantown kids, they went and spammed it everywhere and drummed up as much drama as possible, even sending weev and co. on the interview circuit. It exposes essentially no information and exposes users to exactly zero danger :roll: