Apple

iMac thoughts? - Page 1

All of this f**** iPod Touch, I am now addicted to apples.
Yes, I'm a newbie when it comes to Macs in general, but all this glass+aluminum goodness simply does it for me.

So... I'm aiming for the newest iMac and particularly the 27" model. (I love large desktops)
But, there's an option between the better and "best" gfxcards and ofcourse there's the dual-core "Core2 Duo" processor versus the quad-core "Core i5" processor.
For whatever reason I find it nearly too expensive to go for the i5-model, but upgrading the dual-core model with the better ATI-card leaves only a small money gap for going all-in to the i5.

Thoughts? Comments?
:O3200: :Fuel: :Indy: :O3x02L:
I have the last gen 2.66 20" iMac. It is pretty awesome.

I hear there are lots of issues with the 27" coming right out of the factory. You may do better to get a refurbished 24" with the ATi 4850 (same option as the 27"). The only downside is that you get 2 ram slots instead of 4.
Stuff.
Yes, I'm aware of the rescent "issues" regarding the 27" and so far it seems that Apples official statement is the gfx-cards to blame for all the flickering. The cracked screens is another issue not related to the ATI boards, of course. ;)
:O3200: :Fuel: :Indy: :O3x02L:
i'm waiting for early next year hoping the issues calm down. then i'll buy the awesomest one i can :)
:Skywriter:

DECUS Member 368596
I bought one for my parents for Christmas - it's in the spare bedroom waiting to be wrapped. I'm not going to mess with it until I give it to them though :)
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote: I bought one for my parents for Christmas - it's in the spare bedroom waiting to be wrapped. I'm not going to mess with it until I give it to them though :)

Hopefully they don't read your site before Christmas then.
死の神はりんごだけ食べる

開いた括弧は必ず閉じる -- あるプログラマー

:Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2R: :Onyx2RE: :Onyx2: :O3x04R: :O3x0: :O200: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :PI: :PI: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x Mac, 3 x SUN, Alpha DS20E, Alpha 800 5/550, 3 x RS/6000, Amiga 4000 VideoToaster, Amiga4000 -030, 733MHz Sam440 AmigaOS 4.1 update 1.

Sold: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: Tandem Himalaya S-Series Nonstop S72000 ServerNet.

Twitter @PymbleSoftware
Current Apps (iOS) -> https://itunes.apple.com/au/artist/pymb ... d553990081
(Android) https://play.google.com/store/apps/deve ... +Ltd&hl=en
(Onyx2) Cortex ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cortex-th ... 11?sk=info
(0300s) Minnie ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Minnie-th ... 02?sk=info
Github ---> https://github.com/pymblesoftware
Nope - this is completely out of their sphere.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
skywriter wrote: i'm waiting for early next year hoping the issues calm down. then i'll buy the awesomest one i can :)

well... i'm on the fence every time i go shopping. i expect the 'Refurbished iMac 21.5-inch 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo' model is going to be everything i need in a mac, but for an extra 500, i can max it out with quad core i5, and 27 inches. this is the only computer i'm going to use besides a netbook, so i would like 'go for broke'!

however, that would make my imac better than my wive's imac and she wouldn't appreciate that! she got the top of the line 24 inch one earlier this year. too bad there isn't a 21.5 inch i5.

DECUS Member 368596
They recently built new Apple store not far from me - I stopped in to kick the tires on a few of the new Macs right after it opened. I was primarily looking at the Mini, but got some seat time with an iMac. I was impressed. <tho I might like to run that 27" panel at a higher resolution>.

If I was gonna buy one I'd probably go with an extended apple care plan. I had a dual 1.42 MMD that ended up having just about everything in it replaced during the extended warranty period, so in that case the apple care plan was well worth it <tho the power supply did die a couple of months after apple care ran out>.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
for non-diy, over $600 stuff i get usually the extended plan, and i've almost always needed it.

recondas wrote: I was impressed. <tho I might like to run that 27" panel at a higher resolution>.

2560 x 1440 resolution not good enough? wowsa! 27inch is really big though!

DECUS Member 368596
recondas wrote: They recently built new Apple store not far from me - I stopped in to kick the tires on a few of the new Macs right after it opened. I was primarily looking at the Mini, but got some seat time with an iMac. I was impressed. <tho I might like to run that 27" panel at a higher resolution>.

If I was gonna buy one I'd probably go with an extended apple care plan. I had a dual 1.42 MMD that ended up having just about everything in it replaced during the extended warranty period, so in that case the apple care plan was well worth it <tho the power supply did die a couple of months after apple care ran out>.

Actually the new Mac Minis are very impressive with the dual display and 4GB RAM.. My girlfriend's Mini is the last generation with 2.0GHz cpu and 2GB RAM (same platform as the current, just slower cpu). It plays The Sims 2 very well at 1680x1050. I plan on getting the server version after christmas (for work purposes more then anything). They are definitely the most bang for your buck these days (coming from Apple anyways).
Stuff.
skywriter wrote: 2560 x 1440 resolution not good enough? wowsa! 27inch is really big though!
It didn't look that tight. They must have had it set at a lower resolution - and I never got the opportunity to change it. That new apple store is right next to a college - the staff mostly looked like the elite end of the college-hip spectrum <or is it hip-hop nowadays?>. I must have looked like I didn't fit in 'cause a couple of 'em hovered over me the entire time and gave me the do-you-understand-the-words-coming-out-of-my-mouth / don't-break-anything treatment. <though to be fair I had just got done helping a friend rebuild the tranny on a harley and rode through just enough rain to have accumulated some patina so I probably did look a little rough around the edges>.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
recondas wrote: I was primarily looking at the Mini

zmttoxics wrote: Actually the new Mac Minis are very impressive with the dual display and 4GB RAM…I plan on getting the server version after christmas (for work purposes more then anything). They are definitely the most bang for your buck these days (coming from Apple anyways).

If you have a compatible display kicking around (and what self-respecting Nekochanner doesn't?), I agree that the Mac Mini bundled with MacOS X Server looks like a pretty impressive package. I'm very tempted by it, but I'll probably get a 13" MBP first to replace my five year old 12" 1.5 GHz G4 PB.
recondas wrote: <though to be fair I had just got done helping a friend rebuild the tranny on a harley and rode through just enough rain to have accumulated some patina so I probably did look a little rough around the edges>.

hehe! silly sales people :) i hope you had a greasy wrench in your back pocket. my wife says i always get this look on my face when someone says 'can i help you?'. 'as if' it seems to say...

DECUS Member 368596
nekonoko wrote: Nope - this is completely out of their sphere.

You're lucky then.

Even my in-laws read everything I write, online or not, weather they understand it or not. That goes for academic publications too. Librarians and even people who drive tractors for a living are familiar with my writing on quantum mechanics and ray tracing, psychology software, and stereographics.
死の神はりんごだけ食べる

開いた括弧は必ず閉じる -- あるプログラマー

:Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2R: :Onyx2RE: :Onyx2: :O3x04R: :O3x0: :O200: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :PI: :PI: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x Mac, 3 x SUN, Alpha DS20E, Alpha 800 5/550, 3 x RS/6000, Amiga 4000 VideoToaster, Amiga4000 -030, 733MHz Sam440 AmigaOS 4.1 update 1.

Sold: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: Tandem Himalaya S-Series Nonstop S72000 ServerNet.

Twitter @PymbleSoftware
Current Apps (iOS) -> https://itunes.apple.com/au/artist/pymb ... d553990081
(Android) https://play.google.com/store/apps/deve ... +Ltd&hl=en
(Onyx2) Cortex ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cortex-th ... 11?sk=info
(0300s) Minnie ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Minnie-th ... 02?sk=info
Github ---> https://github.com/pymblesoftware
tomorrow will be my imac shopping day :)

my first choice is the 21.5 inch, 3.06ghz, ati 4670 model. instead of getting the top of the line imac, i'll spend the remainder on an iomega ix4 nas, and a cheap atom htpc nettop in january.

my first choice is the 21.5 inch, 3.06ghz, ati 4670 model. instead of getting the top of the line imac, i'll spend the remainder on an iomega ix4 nas, and a cheap atom htpc nettop in january.

Very cool. :)

I would wait.
My toy budget has been eliminated so I can't really say but..

アレゲはアレゲ以上のなにものでもなさげ -- アレゲ研究家

:Onyx2R: :Onyx2RE: :0300: <-> :0300: <-> :0300: :O200: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo: :PI: :PI: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :O2000: :hpserv: J5600,
3 x SUN, 2 x Mac, Alpha DS20E, Alpha 800 5/550, 2 x RS/6000, Amiga 4000 VideoToaster, Amiga4000 -030, 733MHz Sam440 AmigaOS 4.1 update 1. Tandem Himalaya S-Series Nonstop S72000 ServerNet.
PymbleSoftware wrote:
Isn't Apple releasing a new product within a month..?
A tablet or something...?

I would wait.

There is always something new though... :roll:

A tablet or something...?

I would wait.

yes the tablet rumor mill is at high speed now. however, i'm in the market for an imac first, then a tablet if/when they release one. i have had 5+ microsoft based tablets, none of them were more than marginally useful. if anyone can make an expensive tablet useful, i think apple can. for that reason i'll seriously entertain their tablet. but it's nothing i'm going to hold my breath over.

meanwhile i really want that imac! :)