Apple

Snow leopard is it worth the upgrade? - Page 2

NTFS 3g works nicely under Snow Leopard. I recently set up a Windows 7 x64 Boot Camp volume on my Mac Pro and use NTFS 3g on the Mac side and Paragon HFS on the Windows side. Technically Boot Camp 3.0 offers a Windows HFS driver of its own, but it frequently bluescreened Windows until I disabled it (and a web search revealed I was not alone in this).
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Did the upgrade. Still adjusting to the expose. Otherwise all seems well.

latest Xquartz yet and all my screensaver stop working.
what do you need screensavers for?
r-a-c.de
shadowless wrote: all my screensaver stop working.

Yeah, that's one of the issues that the Macintouch link mentions.
For $29.00 the 10.6 upgrade is absolutely worth it (of course, I has a seed key which gives me access to the builds regardless, hehe) - I've also tried to promote, help, and encourage people to make the switch. You'll get some disk space back, the Exchange support is fantastic, and overall 10.6 performs amazing well out of the box. The improved installer logic means, for the first time ever, I actually *encourage* people to upgrade rather then perform a clean load :)

For me personally, it's the stability and performance of 10.6 after extended desktop use - I never have reboot my MacBook pro, except for updates, and I leave it running for weeks with dozens of Applications running (Mail.app, Xcode, Safari and Firefox, CS4, etc). It goes from work, to home, to coffee shops, meetings, presentations, Air Plane rides, I let the battery run out and generally beat the living crap out it. It just keeps ticking. Same thing with my 13' Unibody MacBook. In 10.5, I rebooted on a regular basis, usually resulting from Finder hang ups and web browser crashes after extended use.

foetz wrote: the gfx performance is worse than 10.5, filesystem perf.

Interesting. How did you come to that conclusion? Generally speaking, 10.6 and the native apps now have a smaller CPU, memory, and disk-usage footprint, which translates into greater available system resources. Also, Apple engineers have added compression logic (Extended Attributes) and better block storage algorithms to HFS+ in 10.6, so disk performance, if anything should be faster in addition to video.

foetz wrote: as long as there're no apps with grand central and/or opencl support 10.5 is the better choice.

Finder? Mail? Most of the native Applications?

For reference, here are some quick bench marks: http://macperformanceguide.com/SnowLeop ... mance.html
configure complete, now type 'make' and pray.
I experience something strange after the snow leopard upgrade. My rc flight simulator on vm fusion XP image no longer work proper after the upgrade, seems to be a bug in vm fusion 3.01 graphic driver.

Nevertheless the os is working great but I do miss the old expose.
snow leopard is giving me grief - it doesn't deal well at all with removable media on my box, causing finder to hang and zombify all the time, only to be fixed by a reboot.

with leopard, i restarted the box only for system updates and such - approx. once every three months. with snow leopard, i am doing this several times a week easily - every time the finder locks up proper after using removable media for a bit. boot up/shut down time is noticeably slower now and i can't quite say that i noticed a lot of general speedup otherwise but the machine was fast under leopard anyway. the extra 20 - 30 free gigabytes on the systemdisk are well appreciated though.

unless 10.6.3 solves my problems with the finder (a seemingly common issue well documented on the apple forums), i'll do a clean reinstall - of 10.5, thank you very much. ;)

oh yeah, another thing that has changed for the worse - there are some graphical glitches on the desktop, causing black boxes to pop up on the screen occasionally. like a screen area that's not being refreshed properly. not so in 10.5 (macbook, newer-style intel onboard gfx).
semi-fly wrote:
foetz wrote: the gfx performance is worse than 10.5, filesystem perf.

Interesting. How did you come to that conclusion?

that's not a secret. apple admitted it on their own. :P
and regarding filesystem speed it's just the usage. opening folders e.g. takes twice as long compared to 10.5. same disk.

Generally speaking, 10.6 and the native apps now have a smaller CPU, memory, and disk-usage footprint, which translates into greater available system resources. Also, Apple engineers have added compression logic (Extended Attributes) and better block storage algorithms to HFS+ in 10.6, so disk performance, if anything should be faster in addition to video.

sounds good but doesn't match the reality. at least in my case.

foetz wrote: as long as there're no apps with grand central and/or opencl support 10.5 is the better choice.

Finder? Mail? Most of the native Applications?

don't care about finder or apple's mail or the native apps.
i want the os to be a secure and solid platform for my apps. not more, not less. and 10.5 is doing a better job there so far.
r-a-c.de
I must say that SL is quicker, on laptop it wakes up rather quick I think I had a problem with handbrake in the beginning not 100% sure.

Just get on the SL train :)

BTW, just installed Chrome the other night on my iMac, really nice and clean I wish I had that on Solaris aswell feels like Opera when it comes to responsness

/michael
--
No Microsoft product was used in any way to write or send this text.
If you use a Microsoft product to read it, you're doing so at your own
risk.
mila wrote: I must say that SL is quicker, on laptop it wakes up rather quick

and is it quicker anywhere else?
no offence but that's not exactly a major factor.
r-a-c.de