Apple

Snow leopard is it worth the upgrade? - Page 1

Have been putting off the upgrade for a while now. For those who did the upgrade, are there any performance benefits after the upgrade?

Any software compatibility issues for those software that you are using?

Hope someone can share your experience. Is it time for the snowing leopard?
shadowless wrote: Have been putting off the upgrade for a while now. For those who did the upgrade, are there any performance benefits after the upgrade?

I went and bought it a few days after it came out..
It did seem slightly faster on x86 but that might have been the effects of hype.
Pity I didn't run a benchmark or something.
I have no compatibility problems with it, but I do have some PPC machines on an older release.

When did the old MacOS emulation die out was it this release or earlier.. ?
死の神はりんごだけ食べる

開いた括弧は必ず閉じる -- あるプログラマー

:Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2R: :Onyx2RE: :Onyx2: :O3x04R: :O3x0: :O200: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :PI: :PI: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x Mac, 3 x SUN, Alpha DS20E, Alpha 800 5/550, 3 x RS/6000, Amiga 4000 VideoToaster, Amiga4000 -030, 733MHz Sam440 AmigaOS 4.1 update 1.

Sold: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: Tandem Himalaya S-Series Nonstop S72000 ServerNet.

Twitter @PymbleSoftware
Current Apps (iOS) -> https://itunes.apple.com/au/artist/pymb ... d553990081
(Android) https://play.google.com/store/apps/deve ... +Ltd&hl=en
(Onyx2) Cortex ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cortex-th ... 11?sk=info
(0300s) Minnie ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Minnie-th ... 02?sk=info
Github ---> https://github.com/pymblesoftware
Think they too out the ppc support in the snow leopard version to save space and optimise codes.
PymbleSoftware wrote: When did the old MacOS emulation die out was it this release or earlier.. ?

Tiger was the last release to support the Classic environment on PowerPC machines. FWIW, Classic runs very nicely on my PowerBook under MacOS 10.4.11. I like to fire up the old Bungie Marathon games (forerunners of today's Halo series) under Classic every now and then, and there are a handful of utilities on Classic that I still like to use.

Indeed, maintaining access to Classic is the only reason I never updated that PowerBook to MacOS 10.5 (Leopard).

As an aside, I've been tinkering with mini vMac , SheepShaver , and Basilisk II in order to run older versions of MacOS on modern hardware. It's fun to see how fast System 6 runs on 1.5 GHz cpu! :D
shadowless wrote: Have been putting off the upgrade for a while now. For those who did the upgrade, are there any performance benefits after the upgrade?

I've been quite happy with Snow Leopard on a MacBook Pro. Like Pymble, I wish that I had done some proper benchmarks to verify that the improvements were physical, rather than psychological, but I did think think that the system felt a little snappier after the upgrade.

I haven't run into any problems, aside from needing to reinstall a third party scanner driver and needing to upgrade my copies of Parallels and VMware. Also, the first reboot after the upgrade took a surprisingly long time, but that was a one-time occurrence.

Before upgrading, you should take a glance at Macintouch's Snow Leopard Compatibility Guide and its Reader Reports Page to see if anything important to you has glitches under Snow Leopard.
Well, one thing i know is that somehow, Snow leopard seems to hate Windows 7

I have windows shares on my network coming from a windows 7 Ultimate box, and under 10.5 i had no problems accessing them, they even listed themselves automatically. Now that im with 10.6... no more shares and im too lazy to try to find out. Also, im not totally certain about that one, but it looks like my battery life dropped with 10.6 . I can no longer do 6 and + hours on it. And it seems to be running hotter than before. Even though i keep it dust free.
:Octane: 270Mhz SI 384Mb ram :Octane2: 2x360Mhz V6 1.5Gb ram
:O2000: Death by flooding... :(
Amiga A3000D / Full ECS, Kickstart 3.1, 2Mb CHIP/24Mb FAST with 2+18Gb SCSI HD
Amiga A1200 starting to work on this one.
josehill wrote: I like to fire up the old Bungie Marathon games (forerunners of today's Halo series) under Classic every now and then, and there are a handful of utilities on Classic that I still like to use.

The Marathon engine has been open-sourced: http://marathon.sourceforge.net/ , along with the content :)
Years ago, I compiled it with gcc and it ran nicely on the 175MHz R10k O2 I had back then.

Haven't upgraded to 10.6 yet, I usually wait until the .3 or .4 release when they get most of the bugs fixed (and most third-party apps tend to add support by then).
i have used SL since the 10a380 but so far there's nothing that would make me wanna switch. quite the contrary frankly.

the gfx performance is worse than 10.5, filesystem perf. also and i have problems with the color profiles. don't like the new default gamma etc. at all. also booting takes much longer although the 10.6 disk is much faster than the 10.5 disk :D

as long as there're no apps with grand central and/or opencl support 10.5 is the better choice. let alone the ppc support and the age what makes it quite mature.
r-a-c.de
Seems like i have to put it off for later still. My experience with 10.5 upgrade 2 years ago was not good so i kind of learn the lesson and wait for a more stable SL. It is also a pain when all the software are not compatible till after a while.

Well the trackpad text input is something interesting. Tried that in 10a380 and was keen to find out if it got better.
foetz wrote: the gfx performance is worse than 10.5, filesystem perf. also and i have problems with the color profiles. don't like the new default gamma etc. at all. also booting takes much longer although the 10.6 disk is much faster than the 10.5 disk :D

What hardware are you running on? Booting is now quite fast on my MBP.

It is true that the new PC-style default gamma takes some getting used to. I haven't bothered to reset it to match the more traditional Mac gamma.
i'm not using a real mac. but the boot time doesn't bother me. just wanted to mention it.

it's not just the gamma. even after adjusting that it still looks somewhat bleached. really nasty on the eyes. just like when someone is playing with the levels in photoshop and doesn't know what he's doing :D

anyway that aside i just see no reason for making 10.6 my main osx. as i said unless grand central and opencl apps are released ...
r-a-c.de
PymbleSoftware wrote:

I went and bought it a few days after it came out..
It did seem slightly faster on x86 but that might have been the effects of hype.
Pity I didn't run a benchmark or something.
I have no compatibility problems with it, but I do have some PPC machines on an older release.

When did the old MacOS emulation die out was it this release or earlier.. ?

If I recall correctly they moved rosetta to the optional installs on the DVD.

@OP: I run 10.6 client and server, it is definitely an improvement over 10.5. I don't regret making the switch (especially since I got rid of my G4/5 towers).
Stuff.
zmttoxics wrote: If I recall correctly they moved rosetta to the optional installs on the DVD.

Yes, it's not installed by default, but the system is smart enough to download Rosetta from Apple the first time you run a PPC-only app.
ShadeOfBlue wrote:
zmttoxics wrote: If I recall correctly they moved rosetta to the optional installs on the DVD.

Yes, it's not installed by default, but the system is smart enough to download Rosetta from Apple the first time you run a PPC-only app.

Oh, yes. I remember now. :) I don't have any PPC specific apps anymore so I have yet to be prompted.
Stuff.
I installed 10.6 on my old mini (1.66 Core Duo) and MacPro. They both seem fine, except, the Mini studders while playing video in the hulu Player. This is big deal for us since the Mini is connected to our TV and without cable, we use hulu to watch a couple television programs. So far we have been able to watch video from the network websites (cbs.com, fox.com). Certainly a US problem with those sites, but could be indicative of performance or video issues that could affect others. I don't have the hulu player on my MacPro.

I have a hard time finding a must have reason to switch. It's nice having the current version and the price is good. I didn't notice anything particularly faster or slower. I wouldn't switch back, I'll probably do a clean install on the mini when I have some time, and if we still have problems with video I'd switch back to 10.5.

There are some nice changes to "stacks" (scroll bars) and I want to say the context menus are better on docked apps. I haven't noticed the new Exposé Dock feature, but it seems useful.
japes wrote: context menus are better on docked apps.

i hate them :D
on 10.5 i had all entries in one list at a glance. now i have to go through (sometimes) several lists to the right. takes me twice the time to use it. no improvement at all :?
r-a-c.de
Was initially bug-tastic for me - beachballs all the time, even after deleting caches etc. (clean install), lots of inconsistencies (especially with third-party and dev software).

After the last few point releases seems to have gotten better.

So basically like any other Mac OS X release.

I think it's pretty much ready for prime-time now - haven't had any issue for a few weeks. My roommate has had sketchy network experiences (lots of random connection droppage and latency) though - probably related to that he roams between networks a lot, but definitely a bug nonetheless.
japes wrote: I installed 10.6 on my old mini (1.66 Core Duo) and MacPro. They both seem fine, except, the Mini studders while playing video in the hulu Player. This is big deal for us since the Mini is connected to our TV and without cable, we use hulu to watch a couple television programs. So far we have been able to watch video from the network websites (cbs.com, fox.com). Certainly a US problem with those sites, but could be indicative of performance or video issues that could affect others. I don't have the hulu player on my MacPro.

For your Hulu problem, have you tried the latest Flash 10.1 beta? It seems to have lower CPU requirements.
:Octane: R12K/300x2, MXE
:1600SW: :ChallengeL:
One quick question. Is NTFS 3g required for ntfs r/w ? Is snow leopard suppose to support ntfs r/w on its own.
shadowless wrote: Is snow leopard suppose to support ntfs r/w on its own.

yes. but you have to mount it by hand with the rw option.
r-a-c.de