Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware

War on CPU, why do we need logic? - Page 1

You know it never stop intel vs amd here. This war been going on for like 30 years now and I really want to end it now and I will.

People might ask me what I like most and I say AMD, but seem like every one else say it just clone of a Intel cpu. So what is a clone of a Intel? Of course it's a Mips, and if Intel is a clone Mips? What is a Mips.. Clone of a Human Head :P :P

Fox

So that must make me Mips then, I like my floating point, don't you?

FoxRunner Pc and WolfFang Audio
Hum.... just a quick question: Can I get the phone of your supplier?

at you?"
R-ten-K wrote:
Hum.... just a quick question: Can I get the phone of your supplier?

I LOLd!

Favorite drink of 2008: Purple Ass In My Face ("Haggard" ref)
1 shot Poison Wild Berry Schnapps
1 can lemon-lime soda or Fresca
...doesn't .... compute ....

:lol: :lol: :lol:
And if thats not enough, they will get retinal burn of the MXI kind
The only differencd between the two is like 10 or 12 transistors and a differently named operation command that sounds uber complex (eg, MMX technology and 3D now)

The only differencd between the two is like 10 or 12 transistors and a differently named operation command that sounds uber complex (eg, MMX technology and 3D now)

Wow! Blanket statement from a 5-year-old!

You might want to catch up on the last 12 years of x86 development... There are reasons they kick so much ass these days. Or STFU, your choice.

Either you were trying to be funny, or got a hold of whatever it was the original poster in this thread is/was smoking.

Because if either of those statements isn't true, that means that

a) you have never taken a computer architecture class
b) you wouldn't know what a transistor is if it kicked you in the pants
c) your computer knowledge is limited to succesfuly compile helloworld.c

at you?"
R-ten-K wrote:
a) you have never taken a computer architecture class
c) your computer knowledge is limited to succesfuly compile helloworld.c

Ooo! Me wants to play.

a: I's learned from taking apart drills. Teh hand crank kind.
b: That happened once!
c: I tried it, but the Speak n Spell crasheded

/Transistor leads stuck in my assmeat, but I count it as kicked cuz otherwise it would be ass penetration.

Favorite drink of 2008: Purple Ass In My Face ("Haggard" ref)
1 shot Poison Wild Berry Schnapps
1 can lemon-lime soda or Fresca
I fully withdraw my comment and post and take all blame for my bad, half-awake statement. :oops:

I must of misunderstood what was going on in this thread and now I look like an idiot.

R-ten-K wrote:

b: That happened once!

/Transistor leads stuck in my assmeat, but I count it as kicked cuz otherwise it would be ass penetration.

I managed to seperate the flash device from a disposable camera in junior high. Gave it to a friend in shop class, he literally shit his pants when he shorted a capacitor with his bare hand.

Hey r-ten-k! a capacitor is exactly like a transistor, amirite?!?! :P
VenomousPinecone wrote:

I managed to seperate the flash device from a disposable camera in junior high. Gave it to a friend in shop class, he literally shit his pants when he shorted a capacitor with his bare hand.

What's with American youth and their desire to do these things... :-)

I have seen a big f*ck off transistor melt a monkey wrench when it shorted its leads. It was from a power distribution system for an old mainframe... that was fun, but nothing matches the show and awe of an electric pickle!!!

at you?"
I got zapped by a camera capacitor once when I was a kid but it wasn't as bad as that :?

A posting on the internet that a reader thinks is intended to provoke an indignant response because the reader can't fathom someone disagreeing with him without an ulterior motive.

See also: Cognitive dissonance
Pure joke, that all it was, because Mips is the most successful core around I think.

Fox :P

FoxRunner Pc and WolfFang Audio
I've been testing out a new [home, not work] fileserver that has been put together from spare parts and after a couple of weeks of constant battering it's passed burn-in and is running nicely. It's nothing special - just a basic x86 with an Adaptec 2400 raid card and 4 x 250Gb disks in raid 5. The XFS filesystem was built with a basic 'mkfs.xfs /dev/whatever' command and although performance is already better than the LVM/ext3 system it's replacing I'd like to optimize it before this box is promoted from testing to production and I start migrating all my data to it.

The man pages, SGI site, google, etc have got loads of information which I've been wading through: sunit/su, swidth/sw, log and inode options, etc for the filesystem and the raid card obviously supports various different stripe width, block sizes, etc as well. To save me spending the rest of my life rebuilding arrays and doing I/O benchmarks any advice would be really appreciated - I already spend far too much time doing stuff to computers rather than with them.

The machine runs debian and is a general purpose file server which makes things awkward - it will handle everything from rotating rsync backups of other machines to storing mp3s and getting 200Gb+ forensic disk images dumped on it so I can't really optimize in favour of small or large files but it doesn't have to do anything clever like real-time. None the less, I'm sure that I can get better performance than just using the default options.

So, can any XFS experts point me in the right direction? What values should I be setting the physical raid stripe/block and XFS filesystem variables to? Should I align the values on the hardware and filesystem exactly - I'm more used to ext2/3 filesystems and '-R stride= x '. Although I'm already happy with the default configuration it would be nice to squeeze whatever extra overhead I can out of it before I build it once and leave it to run for a couple of years.

So, can any XFS experts point me in the right direction? What values should I be setting the physical raid stripe/block and XFS filesystem variables to? Should I align the values on the hardware and filesystem exactly - I'm more used to ext2/3 filesystems and '-R stride= x '.

The defaults are the defaults for a reason. I'd just leave it the heck alone.
pipeline wrote:
badapple wrote:
So, can any XFS experts point me in the right direction? What values should I be setting the physical raid stripe/block and XFS filesystem variables to? Should I align the values on the hardware and filesystem exactly - I'm more used to ext2/3 filesystems and '-R stride= x '.

The defaults are the defaults for a reason. I'd just leave it the heck alone.

pipeline's probably right on this one. If you're already happy with performance, then you're probably already done. You didn't mention how the RAID will be used (consecutive reads or writes vs random; large files vs small files; databases, etc.), so the real answer is, "It depends."

If it's really critical to you, no amount of advice beats benchmarking under the type of load you anticipate experiencing...
not to mention fun, giving you the opportunity to play with your SGI gear.

- Bjarne Stroustrup, inventor of the C++ programming language
Okay - decidedly not the answer I was expecting! There is a lot of wisdom there though, I suppose, and it's not like I really have the time to spend doing non-essential stuff.

I did specify what it will be doing though - pretty much everything from fast sequential writes of small files to copying huge images. It won't be hosting any databases (PA-RISC and Power machines do that).

Maybe I'll start on replacing the XBow in my Octane with the 1.4 version that just arrived instead :]