Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware

War on CPU, why do we need logic? - Page 2

I'm trying to connect my Debian server between a Windows box and a O2 workstation. It's supposed to work as an print and file server Forthe Windows machine I've to a home-directory on the linux server. I can access and read files but the catalog is write protected. I've set all the group permissions on the map to Read-write, including setting both home-directories and shared files to read/write in the smb configuration file. Still I can't get permission to move in and out the server. For the O2 it's worser, it doesn't find the server. If I write the servers name when I mount the Remote Directory it doesn't find it, while writing an IP address shows a small computer in the dropslot, but it doesn't find any files.

I know that the server both launches the NFS and Samba server. I've edited /etc/exports with the right directories to Share. Is there anything more I can try?
You need to map your windows user names into your local debian's user database. You can also make the samba machine the controller of the domain if you are going to have many users sharing files betweend the debian server and windows clients to make administration easier. Basically the unix machine freaks out because it sees requests from users that do not have any sort of id that it knows of.

Probably the same problem is going on between the nfs connections. Basically your server knows about the machines it is being connected from, it does not however know anything about the users in those machines.

Try some of the millions of webpages about debian and samba :-)

at you?"