IRIX and Software

Open Office -newest version...? - Page 1

Hi there,

what is the newest version of OpenOffice ?????????????????

TIA

R
For IRIX? 1.0.3.1a.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
so nothing's changed since... :( ((
nicte wrote: so nothing's changed since... :( ((

see here: viewtopic.php?t=7644&highlight=openoffice
r-a-c.de
They say OO is a pain to compile.
A pain ain't the half of it. I takes nearly a day for on mac OS X and it has to have its hand held the whole time.
zizban wrote: A pain ain't the half of it. I takes nearly a day for on mac OS X and it has to have its hand held the whole time.

Probably an urban myth but I remember hearing something about a full day on an 8 processor Origin in Irix .... yuck !
hamei wrote:
zizban wrote: A pain ain't the half of it. I takes nearly a day for on mac OS X and it has to have its hand held the whole time.

Probably an urban myth but I remember hearing something about a full day on an 8 processor Origin in Irix .... yuck !

true but because as i said the bad smp features.
anyhow the current version on nt or even linux is far from prod. quality anyway :D
r-a-c.de
I disagree. I've written a 30min sitcom script on the Irix version and am using the current stable version (1.1.5) on XP for all my office tasks. No need for any MS products so I have replaced all of them. Have yet to find a standard office task that OO cannot do compared to MSO.
assyrix wrote: I disagree. I've written a 30min sitcom script on the Irix version and am using the current stable version (1.1.5) on XP for all my office tasks. No need for any MS products so I have replaced all of them. Have yet to find a standard office task that OO cannot do compared to MSO.

depends on what you do. just for basic text it's okay but as soon as it gets bigger...
anyway sometimes i was under the impression that the irix version is more stable than others :D
r-a-c.de
I like OO.o but I use FrameMaker on Irix. Curse Adobe for not makign a Mac OS X version!
I went from Word to Framemaker (IRIX v5.5) about five years ago and it was like a breath of fresh air. However, it still lacked a few features and Adobe's support was lacking. I was without a real word processing "home" until I learned LaTeX, now I'll never go back!

OO is a neccessity however, since I'm constantly sent M$ Office documents by co-workers (ack PowerPoint!). Getting a better (i.e. better importing) version on IRIX is a priority with me, although I doubt I'll every author anything in it.
LaTeX is God!!!

And I've never been able to enjoy a stable OO.o installation. Not on Linux, not on Windows, not on FreeBSD, not on IRIX. Always seems to crap out on me in some way. :(
Shall I describe it to you? Or do you want me to get you a box?
OO on IRIX works for me, no crashes. I use it to write papers, grant applications, assignments with formulas even the midterm & final questions... :twisted:

I really like that it is OK (sort of) reading/writing MS Office formats (sometimes it reformats them but hey, it is not boring!!!)

However, an new(er) IRIX version would be an excellent idea..
open office seems to do the job for me. but yes, for heavy usage it's probably as crappy as ms office. still, people manage to write books or their thesis in that - i never understood how they do this. but i also never could wrap my brain around how people manage to model in a modeler as crappy as maya :D

framemaker would get my vote, but it's inconvenient for writing a letter or something. same with latex. both only shine when you're doing a larger project with more complex layouts.
I dunno; I do everything in Framemaker; books, letters, reports. But OO.0 2.0 would be schweet.
hamei wrote:

I wonder if they were building with -j8 ?

I'd hate to think that make was running serial jobs rather than parallel on an 8-way system.
- Stonent -
The preceding post has been brought to you in Infinite Reality!
Stonent wrote:
I wonder if they were building with -j8 ?

I'd hate to think that make was running serial jobs rather than parallel on an 8-way system.

AFAIK, OO can't be built with parallel make, maybe it's changed for 2.0. That would be sweet - distcc, here I come ;-)
Such bugs and goblins in my life!
(Taken from Hamlet)
Last time I checked into compiling OO, that was version 1.1.x, and you had to build it on x86 with, I believe, gcc 3.2.3, and no other version would work.
I thought I built OO.O Ximian from source on my gentoo drive. Using gcc 3.3.4
- Stonent -

The preceding post has been brought to you in Infinite Reality!