IRIX and Software

Neko_fixpath as tardist - Page 1

Hi all,

So I downloaded all of the nekoware and installed ... really great stuff.

I was curious if anyone had any problems with xscreensaver-getimage?

When I run it, it dies.

Like so:
Code:
X error in xscreensaver-getimage:
X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
Major opcode of failed request:  72 (X_PutImage)
Serial number of failed request:  28
Current serial number in output stream:  36

This matters because it makes the webcollage screen saver die.

I have a plain-jane install of irix 6.5.20m on my Octane. I have some freeware installed, all the nekoware, I have fixed all my paths for both distributions - Nekoware is first in the path environment variable...

I figure this must work for other folks, since it has not been mentioned in the forums.

-Nick
BadMatch errors are usually attributed to SGI Freeware FAQ4.3:

http://freeware.sgi.com/faq.html#Q4.3

All Rights Reserved.
Not all of the Xscreensaver hacks are operational for me -- I'd be interested on what excatly you are doing that generates the Bad Match error. Maybe I can peek at the source code and come up with a work-around.

BTW I get following results when I run webcollage directly

Code:
/usr/nekoware/lib/xscreensaver/webcollage
Can't locate bytes.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/share/lib/perl5/irix-n32/5.00405 /usr/share/lib/perl5 /usr/share/lib/perl5/site_perl/irix-n32 /usr/share/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/share/lib/perl5/sgi_perl .) at /usr/nekoware/lib/xscreensaver/webcollage line 57.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/nekoware/lib/xscreensaver/webcollage line 57.

I assume it's because I haven't set it up correctly.
squeen wrote:
Not all of the Xscreensaver hacks are operational for me -- I'd be interested on what excatly you are doing that generates the Bad Match error. Maybe I can peek at the source code and come up with a work-around.

BTW I get following results when I run webcollage directly

Code:
/usr/nekoware/lib/xscreensaver/webcollage
Can't locate bytes.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/share/lib/perl5/irix-n32/5.00405 /usr/share/lib/perl5 /usr/share/lib/perl5/site_perl/irix-n32 /usr/share/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/share/lib/perl5/sgi_perl .) at /usr/nekoware/lib/xscreensaver/webcollage line 57.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/nekoware/lib/xscreensaver/webcollage line 57.

I assume it's because I haven't set it up correctly.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "what I am doing" to get the BadMatch error, but when I get a chance I'll try to describe the environment. Given the previous reply, I did try setting my Xsgi settings differently - then I messed with some other stuff, decided to reboot (I had been using chkconfigs as well), and on reboot, it won't get to the login screen. The point is, since I am already busy with other stuff, fixing my SGI isn't top priority (even though I know how) this moment. I'll post back here when I get the time (in a day or two).

As for the perl, I decided that since Freeware and Nekoware include newer perls I would try uninstalling the IRIX perl. After uninstall, I made sure paths were set, and the missing "bytes.pm" error dissappeared (presumably becuase Perl could now find it in the nekoware/lib/perl directory).
Hmm. I'll have to go back and make sure xscreensaver was finding the nekoware Perl during configure. Also, I tried running the xscreensaver-getimage command directly, giving it the root window id as an argument. Although I didn't know what to expect for results, it seemed to work, but if you could describe the steps for your trial image grab, I'd be happy to reproduce them to see if I get the BadMatch X error.
ZoontF wrote:
Given the previous reply, I did try setting my Xsgi settings differently - then I messed with some other stuff, decided to reboot (I had been using chkconfigs as well), and on reboot, it won't get to the login screen.

This generally happens if the Xservers entry contains a carriage return someplace in the middle of the line - it needs to be one line only with "-depth 24 -class TrueColor" added to the end of the existing line.

BadMatch errors are visual depth/colordepth mismatch errors - so I'd check that out first.

Quote:
BadMatch errors occur when only specific values are acceptable, but another value is provided. The valid values may be a small set of enumerated integers or they may be a relation between other arguments, e.g., a graphics context in a drawing request must have the same depth as the drawing window. There is rarely more than one possible BadMatch error for any particular request type, so identifying the problem is usually straight forward. In my experience, most BadMatch errors are related to drawable depths. Make sure your windows, pixmaps, visual types, colormaps, etc. have the correct depths in your X requests.

http://www.rahul.net/kenton/perrors.html

All Rights Reserved.
I know this has been discussed but I have contacted the participants and gotten no response. Does anyone have a current BOINC client running on an Octane? I want to process some units with mine when I am not actively using it.

Thanks in advance! :)
What is BOINC?
Sorry, I should have said:

BOINC is a software platform for distributed computing using volunteered computer resources.

I use it to process SETI@home data on my other machines when they are not otherwise occupied.

You can find out more at:

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/intro.php
Hi Dawnview,

Firstly apologies for not replying to your PM.

Secondly, I'm not running it any more on my SGI machines because the performance is not so good.

THe binaries that I have are out of date and will not work. I received these from erikDOTtrauschkeATfreenetDOTde.

If you email him, he may be able to supply you with updated binaries.

Regards

Steve
Thanks sincil,

What hardware were you running it on? I have an Octane with dual 300s, but I won't bother if its not going to be worth the effort!

I emailed erik but haven't heard back from him.

Regards,

dawnview
dawnview wrote: Thanks sincil,

What hardware were you running it on? I have an Octane with dual 300s, but I won't bother if its not going to be worth the effort!

I emailed erik but haven't heard back from him.

Regards,

dawnview

Dual 315MHz, 1MB.
If your box is on doing nothing else, you might as well give it something to do.

When I say the performance is not so good.... well.... for dual 315's, performance was good. However when I saw how fast my Pentium 4 box was at crunching units, it kinda extinguished my enthusiasm.

Coupled with the fact that you have to update BOINC and the seti client every now and then, it was just more hassle that it was worth to me.
sincil, et al

I heard back from Erik with the latest binary but it does not execute. Does anyone have a list of dependencies for IRIX?

Thanks in advance!
I'm still using the old SETI@Home 3.08 mips4 client here and have no problems getting fresh work units (I just processed one from 24th Dec 2004 for example). No reason to use BOINC until they drop support for the old client which just hasn't happened yet.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko,

Thanks, that's an excellent suggestion, I think I will wait and worry about BOINC when they flip the switch!

Regards,

dawnview :oops:
Take a look there. I've done the installation and it seems to work correctly:

http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/forum_t ... hp?id=7660

How can we make the Software public available on the seti@home-server ? Is it possible to upload the files to a nekochan-server with permission of the programmers ?

I am using boinc4.58. In order to change the rights for the boinc-/seti-files I used "chmod +x * " in contrast to the installation advice in that thread.
ulenz wrote: Is it possible to upload the files to a nekochan-server with permission of the programmers ?

Absolutely. In fact, this is one package that could really benefit from a tardist install - the setup process is kind of a pain. It's all detailed in the thread you linked, but requires moving files around plus a special XML file (which specifies an 'anonymous' platform). All of the listed steps could be automated via a tardist.
All Rights Reserved.
OK call me stupid but I am having no luck getting BOINC/SETI to run on ANY MIPS box. I did get it set up on the 320, but I was hopeing to get it running on the Octane or Onyx.

I downloaded the files indicated on nekochan's front page but when I run bzip2 on it it is an empty file (a 12 Meg empty file) but unusable.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,
James
Okay, here's a step by step.

1. Download the following files:

SGI_Irix6.5 BOINC V4.58 (2.99 MB) :
http://www.falconfly.de/boinc/boinc_4.5 ... rix6.5.bz2

SGI_Irix6.5 SETI V4.30 (2.59 MB) :
http://www.falconfly.de/boinc/setiathom ... gi_irix6.5

SGI_Irix6.5 app_info.xml (right-click in Browser to 'save as')
http://www.falconfly.de/boinc/app_info.xml

2. Remove bzip2 compression from boinc_4.58_mips-sgi-irix6.5.bz2:

Code: Select all

bzip2 -d boinc_4.58_mips-sgi-irix6.5.bz2

3. Set execute bit on setiathome and boinc:

chmod +x boinc_4.58_mips-sgi-irix6.5
chmod +x setiathome_4.30_mips_sgi_irix6.5

4. Create 'boinc' directory:

mkdir boinc

5. Move boinc_4.58_mips-sgi-irix6.5 executable into 'boinc' directory:

mv boinc_4.58_mips-sgi-irix6.5 boinc/boinc

6. Enter boinc directory and run boinc executable:

cd /boinc
./boinc

- The following should occur at this point:

- BOINC will ask for Project URL and Account Key - enter both

- BOINC will then suspend network and computing activity to run benchmark. Interrupt (CTRL-C) while benchmarking to avoid BOINC not finding Berkeley server and automatically detaching project (this is important).

7. Move seti binary and app_info.xml to their final location:

mv ../setiathome_4.30_mips_sgi_irix6.5 projects/setiathome.berkeley.edu/
mv ../app_info.xml projects/setiathome.berkeley.edu/

8. Run BOINC again and let it complete benchmarks. Installation should now be complete.

./boinc

Once everything's up and running, your directory structure should look like this:

[Megumi:~] neko 1% ls -laR boinc/
boinc/:
total 2068
drwxr-xr-x    4 neko     staff        4096 Jun  3 01:56 ./
drwxr-xr-x  116 neko     staff       12288 Jun  3 01:53 ../
-rw-------    1 neko     staff         239 Jun  2 11:58 account_setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu.xml
-rwxr-xr-x    1 neko     staff     2045476 Jun  2 11:49 boinc*
-rw-r--r--    1 neko     staff        8683 Jun  3 01:56 client_state.xml
-rw-r--r--    1 neko     staff        8683 Jun  3 01:55 client_state_prev.xml
-rw-r--r--    1 neko     staff           0 Jun  2 11:56 lockfile
-rw-r--r--    1 neko     staff       12277 Jun  2 11:58 master.html
drwxr-xr-x    3 neko     staff          37 Jun  2 11:56 projects/
-rw-r--r--    1 neko     staff        2250 Jun  2 23:25 sched_reply_setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu.xml
-rw-r--r--    1 neko     staff        3004 Jun  2 23:25 sched_request_setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu.xml
drwxr-xr-x    3 neko     staff          14 Jun  2 11:58 slots/

boinc/projects:
total 8
drwxr-xr-x    3 neko     staff          37 Jun  2 11:56 ./
drwxr-xr-x    4 neko     staff        4096 Jun  3 01:56 ../
drwxr-xr-x    2 neko     staff        4096 Jun  2 23:25 setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/

boinc/projects/setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu:
total 3448
drwxr-xr-x    2 neko     staff        4096 Jun  2 23:25 ./
drwxr-xr-x    3 neko     staff          37 Jun  2 11:56 ../
-rw-------    1 neko     staff      361977 Jun  2 13:32 03dc03ab.22340.16593.523582.253
-rw-r--r--    1 neko     staff        7658 Jun  3 00:38 03dc03ab.22340.16593.523582.253_3_0
-rw-------    1 neko     staff      361965 Jun  2 23:25 03dc03ab.22340.19490.286082.71
-rw-r--r--    1 neko     staff         414 Dec 31 17:46 app_info.xml
-rwxr-xr-x    1 neko     staff     2725300 Jun  2 11:59 setiathome_4.30_mips_sgi_irix6.5*

boinc/slots:
total 4
drwxr-xr-x    3 neko     staff          14 Jun  2 11:58 ./
drwxr-xr-x    4 neko     staff        4096 Jun  3 01:56 ../
drwxr-xr-x    2 neko     staff         156 Jun  2 23:26 0/

boinc/slots/0:
total 20
drwxr-xr-x    2 neko     staff         156 Jun  2 23:26 ./
drwxr-xr-x    3 neko     staff          14 Jun  2 11:58 ../
-rw-r--r--    1 neko     staff           0 Jun  2 23:25 boinc_lockfile
-rw-r--r--    1 neko     staff        2809 Jun  2 23:25 init_data.xml
-rw-r--r--    1 neko     staff          99 Jun  2 23:25 result.sah
-rw-r--r--    1 neko     staff          96 Jun  2 23:25 setiathome_4.30_mips_sgi_irix6.5
-rw-r--r--    1 neko     staff        1567 Jun  3 01:56 state.sah
-rw-r--r--    1 neko     staff           0 Jun  2 23:25 stderr.txt
-rw-r--r--    1 neko     staff          95 Jun  2 23:25 work_unit.sah

My 'boinc' binary is a tad smaller since I ran 'strip' on it.
All Rights Reserved.
How can one look at the status of their work units (for loss of a better term) under IRIX? On the 320 I can open the Boinc manager and see what is going on, how can I do this on IRIX? Right now I am getting a "No Schedulers response' but it is requesting more work to get this error. According to the Seti site and my account the machine was sent some work units. Where do I look on the machine to see how many and the status of them.

Thanks,
James