IRIX and Software

Neko_fixpath as tardist - Page 4

Actually, you do it on the Seti website, you assign 'classifications' for your different machines once registered, and define operating profiles. The next time the client connects, it will update preferences automatically.

http://www.setiathome.com

(though this will fall through to the Boinc site proper)

You can also turn off the 'Suspend if not idle' behaviour this way too.
thanx for the great help, dr.(how fitting ;) ) dave

I found out how to change it just a few seconds before you postet, but your advice definitely made the difference. now everything works :)

at first - since the origin didn't update the global_prefs.xml - I thought I had to update it by hand (that's why I wrote that first, but editet my post after I noticed it DID update the file after a while).

thanx again :)
Hello all...

I am e very newbie in the SGI-scene. I installed the KDE base and libs.

As needed by the SGI Freeware to make it running, I also downloaded the neko_fixpath. The question is, how old it is, and if there is a possibilty to offer it as a tardistfile. When I start the actual neko_fixpath, it appears an error-message that says: No tty in line 24. I started it as root...

I am looking forward to your answers....

Greetings from Switzerland

Stephan König

PS: Sorry about my bad english...
Hello Stephan and welcome to the forums!

Wenn's einfacher ist, das Ganze auf Deutsch: fixpath ist eigentlich nur eine Textdatei die einige Dateipfade setzt. Die Sache ist die, dass die neko_* Programme nur ausgefuehrt werden koennen, ohne den ganze absoluten Pfad einzugeben, wenn Du vorher die noetigen Pfade (fuer PATH: /usr/nekoware/bin, fuer LD_LIBRARY_PATH: /usr/nekoware/lib) als Umgebungsvariablen exportierst.

Unter csh (C shell) geht das mit: setenv VALUE_NAME VALUE
Unter bash (Bourne Again shell): export VALUE_NAME VALUE

Vergiss aber nicht, wenn Du z.B. setenv PATH /usr/nekoware/bin setzt, dass alle Deine anderen (System)Programme dann nicht mehr im Suchpfad sind, daher solltest Du vorher folgendes tun:

env | grep PATH

Dann notier den PATH und setz vorn heran /usr/nekoware/bin: (mit Doppelpunkt hinten), dann hast Du Deinen neuen Pfad fuer VALUE.

Verschiedene shells haben verschiedene Dateien die sie beim Starten laden, z.B. kannst Du in bash diese obigen Befehle in die Datei .profile setzen, dann werden sie jedes mal geladen (insofern Dein Benutzer auch bash als loginshell gesetzt hat, siehe User Manager im Toolchest, wenn Du Dich als root anmeldest).

Es kommt wirklich darauf an, welche shell Du benutzt, wenn Du dich als Benutzer anmeldest.

Sag' Bescheid wenn Du mehr Info oder Hilfe brauchts.

Könntest du vielleicht ein kleines Beispiel erstellen für die Befehle die ich der Reihe nach
durcharbeiten kann? Im speziellen meine ich einen für meine Maschine praktisch anwendbaren Befehl für "setenv VALUE_NAME VALUE"

Bin wie gesagt totaler Newbie und bin halt noch nicht so versiert. Aber macht ansonsten mächtig Spass mit der Octane :D :D :D ....

Grüsse Stephan

PS: Vielen Dank für die rasche Antwort.
Stephan,

klar doch, hab Dir eine PM geschickt, schau da bitte rein, dann koennen wir das Ganze privat weiterfuehren, normalerweise sollten die "Fremdsprachenbeitraege" minimal bleiben. ;-)

setenv PATH ${PATH}:/usr/nekoware/kde/bin
and same way for the other vars. It would be wise to append the new pathes to the end of the already existing.

And btw. bash uses
export FOO=BAR

regards
Joerg

regards
Joerg
go to your settings page:

setiathome.berkeley.edu

Change the "General Preferences".

The somewhat misleading preference "Connect to network about every" has to be changed to ten. This does not mean that your machine will connect every ten days, but it will influence the caching behaviour, thus your machines will fill their cache with ten days worth of work units.

I also changed the settings to even work when there is user activity.

Now, you can either wait until your boinc client downloads the updated settings, or you can shut down the client and restart it with -update_prefs to get the on program startup.

After I changed this value, all my machines filled up their work unit cache to the max, and are crunching 24/7 since 2.5 days.
For the other Vpro users out there I have a theory I'm testing. I think only the Really Slick Screensavers (neko_rss) hacks are causing the Xserver crash. I've set the screensaver to flurry and been up 2 days so far. Here's hoping!

[b]Edit[\b]: It's been more than a week, which is *much* longer than the mean-time between crashes I was experiencing. Looks like the GL in the Really Slick Screensaver may be throwing V12 cards for a loop.