IRIX and Software

No more MATLAB for IRIX? - Page 1

It is stated at Mathworks site that MATLAB release13 was the last one for IRIX. The one offered now is r14 and is not supported for IRIX. I work with MATLAB almost 50% of time on pc and just when I was thinking of getting new sgi workstation now I read this!!! Awful! Does anyone have more info on the subject? Will they make future MATLAB for IRIX? Did anyone maby try if Linux r14 version works on IRIX? If not, then will they still have r13 for purchase or is r13 history?

thanks
Looks like r13 is it. I would see if they will sell you a copy before it goes away.

No, the Linux version wont work on Irix.
seems like they phased out many traditional unices... :cry:
r-a-c.de
foetz wrote: seems like they phased out many traditional unices... :cry:

With the rise of Linux and Mac OS X, they seem to be. Adobe managed (again) to insult the Mac community by dropping Framemaker for the Mac but keeping the Solaris version.
Univesity of Texas website says (I quote): http://www.utexas.edu/its/sds/products/matlab.html

''The current distribution release of MATLAB for all available platforms is Release 14 (aka MATLAB 7).

Supported Hardware

Compaq Alpha
Hewlett Packard 9000
IBM RS/6000
Silicon Graphics
Sun SPARC
Intel-based PC or equivalent (running Windows or Linux)
Power PC G3 or higher (running Mac OS X)''

...and Mathworks site says (I quote):
http://www.mathworks.com/support/sysreq ... /unix.html

''For Release 14, the next major release, IBM/AIX, Alpha/TRU64, and SGI/IRIX platforms will no longer be available.''

Now I do not know am I crazy here or what, but what is the truth here? Texas university website says SGI is supported for r14 (that is MATLAB 7)and Mathworks says it is not...

Now what the hell is happening here? :?

Thanks for all the info and if maby anyone has MATLAB r13 for IRIX for sale please replay...

[/b]
Framemaker is available on Solaris? I wouldn't have known that. How odd, especially since the discontinued the Mac version. (Along with the Mac version of Premeire, and along with putting less emphasis on Acrobat for OSX (wonderful-wonderful screen-PDF)

Of curiosity, would Mathematica 5 possibly meet your needs? That's (luckily!) still available on IRIX.
u can use SGI Altix for MatLab R14 :razz:
Mathematica cannot match performance of matlab in almost any segment. I'm also too tied to tons of scripts I wrote in the past years in Matlab as part of a research study. I was prepearing to get something better for 3d visualisation and numerical methods, a sgi workstation for team presentation with rear screen projectors (geophysics and geology models) and now this...! No more Matlab for Irix... This just ruined my day today totally! I see only two options now:

Option 1:
Mathworks will come to sanity and will have next release for IRIX or will continue to sell r13

Option 2:
I will have to figure out how to transfer or even remake tons of my PC Matlab data and models to some other SGI visualisation program. Do you guys maby know something for SGI that could generate something like ''fog of particles'', dots or pixel size objects in various colors and transparencies in 3d from set of HUGE arrays and matrices (and would not take too long to learn)?

thanks
u can use SGI Altix for MatLab R14

...well..thanks but...If I had that much money I'd probably be on some yacht with a helicopter pad and swimming pool on top, sailing somewhere in Micronesia and not on internet forum 8)
This was discussed on the usenet and in a Matlab mailing list. Release 13 for IRIX almost didn't happen due to sales figures and limiations in the IRIX implemenation of Java. To meet the needs of a few major customers, Mathworks agreed to work with SGI to make release 13 possible. I believe they made it very clear that release 13 would be the last for IRIX.

Have you worked with a recent unix version of Matlab? The GUI is a mess and it's Java everywhere. You're better off with Windows for Matlab anyway. Even the Mac OS X version is a mess.

The last "good" version of Matlab was release 11 (version 5.3). Everything since then has been a cross platform, java, not-really-native-anywhere heap of crap. Maple is heading down the exact same path on all of its supported platforms, but that's another rant...
Mathworks definately have the "Microsoft" syndrome -- a near monopoly in their sector.
I am 100% certain that r14 and up will not be available under IRIX.
Hold on to to your r13!!

If you remember, Mathworks dropped (pre OS X) mac support at one time also.

Since December, we have been working on an in-house, native IRIX MATLAB replacement written from scratch in C (of course) as the front-end to our simulator. So far it's only has a fraction of the functionality, but a core lex/yacc based command parser is there. It reads M-scripts and writes MAT files. The plotting tool kicks-ass. I don't know if a public release is ever feasable, but maybe someday...

Meanwhile, there is Octave for which nekonoko built an IRIX binary back in the days of old.

http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/downloads/index ... Fnekonoko/

Meanwhile I plan to switch to Mathematica where possible.
Mathworks can go suck it for all I care - they drop IRIX, I drop them.
(They've gone all java/C++==Microsoft anyways!)
Arguing that Java is better than C++ is like arguing that grasshoppers taste better than tree bark.
- Thant Tessman

I invented the term Object-Oriented, and I can tell you I did not have C++ in mind. - Alan Kay
Thank you all for info..

Hold on to to your r13!!

I would if I knew where to get it (for irix). They have only r14 now.

Since December, we have been working on an in-house, native IRIX MATLAB replacement written from scratch in C (of course) as the front-end to our simulator. So far it's only has a fraction of the functionality, but a core lex/yacc based command parser is there. It reads M-scripts and writes MAT files. The plotting tool kicks-ass. I don't know if a public release is ever feasable, but maybe someday...

It sounds excellent... keep up the good work! I wish I could somehow help but C/openGL visualisation programming is my weak point and that is why I'm stuck with matlab :(
If it will be ever possible to get it for private or public use, free or for purchase please inform that on this forum. I would make my geological models in C/openGL long time ago but when I first tried there were so many compiling errors, all kinds of missing libraries that I could search for years, so I did work in matlab 5.
colin wrote: Maple is heading down the exact same path on all of its supported platforms, but that's another rant...

Ok, I guess I can safely upgrade from Maple 6!

Maple 9.5 (latest version) is still available for IRIX, and when launched with "xmaple -cw", it loads the classic GUI, rather than the slow Java mess!

Do any IRIX Mathematica users have screenshots of recent versions? I have only used the Mac OS X version of that app, haven't even seen the IRIX version.
Here's a screenshot of Mathematica 5.0
[url=http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/albums/album36/mathematica.jpg]
[/url]
click to enlarge
Cory5412 wrote: Framemaker is available on Solaris? I wouldn't have known that. How odd, especially since the discontinued the Mac version. (Along with the Mac version of Premeire, and along with putting less emphasis on Acrobat for OSX (wonderful-wonderful screen-PDF)

I suspect that DisplayPDF and FCP really pissed off Adobe.
Display PDF was Adobe's invention, just liek Display Postscript, no? If Adobe didnt like it, they wouldn't have given it the blessing anyway.

Also, FCP really isn't meant to compete with Premeire, Maybe Adobe just realized that premeire was a joke? Or maybe porting premeire would've been too much a hassle, so let's jack up the price on the windows version, call it premeire pro, and still be a joke compared to final cut, avid, and everything else.

(I'd suspect though that it was FC*E* that really made adobe mad, if anything from apple at all, because FCE and iMovie are really what bites into the market that Premeire would've had.) (So I guess adobe's best strategy would've been to turn Premeire into the iMovie/FCP of the Windows platform, instead of trying to compete with free, and SEVERELY less expensive options on the mac.)

Though... whatever, that's just my wild guess ;)

*goes on to ramble about nothingness*
squeen wrote: Here's a screenshot of Mathematica 5.0

WOW!... did I ever suffer a case of brainfade. I looked at your screenshot and thought, "hmm, that sure looks familar"... then my brain finally found first gear, "oh yeah, I guess I played with the demo about a month ago!".
jdboyd wrote: I suspect that DisplayPDF and FCP really pissed off Adobe.

Mac OS X uses Apple's own Quartz, it's not "Display PDF". Its primitives can easily be exported as PDF (or PS, or SVG, or...). Search the Usenet for posts by Mike Paquette, a NeXT/Apple engineer.

As for Adobe, they seem to get "pissed off" by anything other than steadily increasing sales and licence agreements.
Cory5412 wrote: (I'd suspect though that it was FC*E* that really made adobe mad, if anything from apple at all, because FCE and iMovie are really what bites into the market that Premeire would've had.) (So I guess adobe's best strategy would've been to turn Premeire into the iMovie/FCP of the Windows platform, instead of trying to compete with free, and SEVERELY less expensive options on the mac.)

Have you used Microsoft's free Windows Movie Maker 2.0? It's far better than the original 1.0 release and is pretty much has everything found in the original release of iMovie.

I'm amazed at how much "mindshare" Adobe Premeire has. It seems like the average semi-pro computer user assumes that Premeire is the gold standard of video apps... despite better products for the same price range (Final Cut, Sony Vegas, Avid DV, etc).
Yeah, I guess that the premeire 'mindshare' thing is true, though, having used final cut before premeire... I can't see how people would want to use premeire, even avid FreeDV was more powerful and lightly more consistent and easier in certain places. (Despite the fact though, that I would loathe having to use FreeDV for anything real.) In the demo that I tried of Premeire, it really wasn't the worst thing ever, it was a simple-looking app that happens to work in OS9 on my G3, so it does have at least that in it's merits.

Hmm... MovieMaker is a joke and has been a joke IMHO. I took a look at it on my brother's PC, I had to use it in order to create a video for a school project. It lacks a titler and it doesn't *seem* to have much of an editing interface in any way. I looked at it at school recently, it's easy like iMovie, but like the earliest releases of iMovie (that i can tell) it's a joke too. It's just the same as pasting clips into an empty quicktime player window. (Something which I have done.)

Humm, Quartz. Was that not based upon, or a variant of "Display PDF" (IE: Quartz = display PDF) Or something like that? (Either way, there's alot of PDF influence in OSX, the bootpanel as an example, is saved as a PDF file.) (Which oddly enough you *can* edit in photoshop.)