IRIX and Software

Cosmo Code 2.5 for 95/NT trial - Page 1

Does anyone have the installer for the trial version of Cosmo Code 2.5 for 95/NT? Since I'm a Java programmer I'm interested how Java development looked like in 97. I searched for this release of Cosmo Code, but it seems it's gone.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Fuel: :540: Image
I looked on the IRIX 6.5 Applications CD dated February 2002 (product code 812-0877-015), which I think is the oldest one I have, and it's got Cosmo Player and Cosmo Create but no Cosmo Code. Someone here must have an older applications CD that's got it, anyone? Anyone? Bueller? :?:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
Any interest in CosmoCode 1.0.2 for Irix?
GL1zdA wrote: Does anyone have the installer for the trial version of Cosmo Code 2.5 for 95/NT? Since I'm a Java programmer I'm interested how Java development looked like in 97. I searched for this release of Cosmo Code, but it seems it's gone.

I still have a MSFT ``Site Builder Workshop'' cd-rom from this timeframe, with many demonstration/trial version of commercial software. When I'm back home I'll have a look in what's in it, if it's still readable.
:Indigo: R4000 :Indigo: R4000 :Indigo: R4000 :Indigo2: R4400 :Indigo2IMP: R4400 :Indigo2: R8000 :Indigo2IMP: R10000 :Indy: R4000PC :Indy: R4000SC :Indy: R4600 :Indy: R5000SC :O2: R5000 :O2: RM7000 :Octane: 2xR10000 :Octane: R12000 :O200: 2xR12000 :O200: - :O200: 2x2xR10000 :Fuel: R16000 :O3x0: 4xR16000 :A350:
among more than 150 machines : Apollo, Data General, Digital, HP, IBM, MIPS before SGI , Motorola, NeXT, SGI, Solbourne, Sun...
vishnu wrote: it's got Cosmo Player and Cosmo Create but no Cosmo Code.

Cosmo Code on IRIX was a paid and (FLEXlm) licensed product, IIRC it wasn't part of the normal apps/overlay discs.

You can find it on some other CDs though. Here's my IRIX discs which contain some version of CosmoCode for IRIX:

Code: Select all

812-0650-001 Cosmo March 1997
812-0544-004 Hot Mix 15
812-0544-005 Hot Mix 16
812-0544-006 Hot Mix 17
812-0802-001 ITC Products (1 of 2) July 1998
812-0512-005 WebForce September 1996

The last version I have appears to be v2.3 on the ITC disc.

None of these discs contain Windows media. The HotMix discs contain some download links to long forgotten beta versions of Cosmo Player for Windows, but don't mention Cosmo Code.
Now this is a deep dark secret, so everybody keep it quiet :)
It turns out that when reset, the WD33C93 defaults to a SCSI ID of 0, and it was simpler to leave it that way... -- Dave Olson, in comp.sys.sgi

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
nongrato wrote: Any interest in CosmoCode 1.0.2 for Irix?

;) Thanks

miod wrote:
GL1zdA wrote: Does anyone have the installer for the trial version of Cosmo Code 2.5 for 95/NT? Since I'm a Java programmer I'm interested how Java development looked like in 97. I searched for this release of Cosmo Code, but it seems it's gone.

I still have a MSFT ``Site Builder Workshop'' cd-rom from this timeframe, with many demonstration/trial version of commercial software. When I'm back home I'll have a look in what's in it, if it's still readable.

I'm interested in an image of this CD even if it does not contain Cosmo.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Fuel: :540: Image
GL1zdA wrote: I'm interested in an image of this CD even if it does not contain Cosmo.

It's been a while so we'll go over this one more time with a polite reminder of the Forum Rule on Commercial Software.
nekonoko wrote: Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Since most Microsoft products are Commercial with a capital C (or, if you prefer, $), please avoid crossing that line unless MS made it freely available for public download.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
I don't recall what the terms were for Windows, but, as an fyi, SGI offered the IRIX version of Cosmo Code at no cost with free downloads. See this thread for info about the IRIX version. viewtopic.php?t=16723134
recondas wrote:
GL1zdA wrote: I'm interested in an image of this CD even if it does not contain Cosmo.

It's been a while so we'll go over this one more time with a polite reminder of the Forum Rule on Commercial Software.
nekonoko wrote: Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Since most Microsoft products are Commercial with a capital C (or, if you prefer, $), please avoid crossing that line unless MS made it freely available for public download.

But the CD was "with many demonstration/trial version of commercial software" - does this also violate the rule? I assumed it's the same as sharing a CD full of shareware, without cracks or serials (I collect magazine cover cds with shareware - they are a great way to preserve software without piracy).

josehill wrote: I don't recall what the terms were for Windows, but, as an fyi, SGI offered the IRIX version of Cosmo Code at no cost with free downloads. See this thread for info about the IRIX version. viewtopic.php?t=16723134

There was a free 30-day trial (this what I'm asking for), unfortunately not archived: https://web.archive.org/web/19990417230 ... /code.html
cosmo code was free at some point. sgi themselves provided an unlimited license on their site so no legal issues in this case :-)
r-a-c.de
josehill wrote: I don't recall what the terms were for Windows, but, as an fyi, SGI offered the IRIX version of Cosmo Code at no cost with free downloads. See this thread for info about the IRIX version. viewtopic.php?t=16723134
foetz wrote: cosmo code was free at some point. sgi themselves provided an unlimited license on their site so no legal issues in this case :-)

No disagreements with respect to SGI's Cosmo Code, but my reminder was in response to the request for an image of one of Microsoft's MSFT Site Builder CDs. While that CD is reported to include a number of demo/trail applications, knowing MS I wouldn't be surprised to find the EUA/license specifically forbids third-party distribution of the contents.

If you think I' over the top on this issue, let me ask if anyone here would willing risk being the recipient of cease-and-desist legal action from Microsoft? It isn't fair to put Pete in that position either.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
GL1zdA wrote: There was a free 30-day trial (this what I'm asking for), unfortunately not archived: https://web.archive.org/web/19990417230 ... /code.html

A quick search for "cc25demo.exe" turned this up: ftp://ftp.uniovi.es/pub/java/cosmocode/
Now this is a deep dark secret, so everybody keep it quiet :)
It turns out that when reset, the WD33C93 defaults to a SCSI ID of 0, and it was simpler to leave it that way... -- Dave Olson, in comp.sys.sgi

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
No worries, recondas. You were absolutely correct to shut down the Site Builder CD discussion, imho. My comment was strictly in the context of the IRIX Cosmo Code.
recondas wrote:
foetz wrote: cosmo code was free at some point. sgi themselves provided an unlimited license on their site so no legal issues in this case :-)

No disagreements with respect to SGI's Cosmo Code, but my reminder was in response to the request for an image of one of Microsoft's MSFT Site Builder CDs. While that CD is reported to include a number of demo/trail applications, knowing MS I wouldn't be surprised to find the EUA/license specifically forbids third-party distribution of the contents.

If you think I' over the top on this issue, let me ask if anyone here would willing risk being the recipient of cease-and-desist legal action from Microsoft? It isn't fair to put Pete in that position either.
Microsoft Site Builder is a long since defunct free service that was actually very popular at one time:

http://news.microsoft.com/1997/03/03/microsoft-site-builder-network-launches-integrated-web-site-webzine-for-web-professionals/

The Site Builder Workshop CDROMs (it was a two CD set) were given away for free:

Code: Select all

Site Builder Workshop CD-ROM. All WorldWide Live! attendees will receive two CD-ROMs containing all the tools and information they need to begin building compelling, interactive ActiveX sites immediately, including the Site Builder Workshop. This comprehensive CD-ROM includes the ActiveX Controls Gallery, a collection of third-party ActiveX Controls including technologies from Adobe, Macromedia, Progressive Networks and VDOnet as well as other tools and technologies.
See here.

I don't know what Microsoft's policy on redistribution of those CDROMs was, my guess, since they were trying to reach as large an audience as possible, would be that they didn't care. Perhaps miod would be so kind as to look at the terms and conditions if he can still read the disk, and report back... :D
Project:
Plan:
jan-jaap wrote:
GL1zdA wrote: There was a free 30-day trial (this what I'm asking for), unfortunately not archived: https://web.archive.org/web/19990417230 ... /code.html

A quick search for "cc25demo.exe" turned this up: ftp://ftp.uniovi.es/pub/java/cosmocode/

:oops: Must have been blind, I've seen the page but haven't read the filename. Thank you. It seems this is what I'm looking for, now I have to deal with the "16-bit installer" thing ;)
vishnu wrote: I don't know what Microsoft's policy on redistribution of those CDROMs was, my guess, since they were trying to reach as large an audience as possible, would be that they didn't care. Perhaps miod would be so kind as to look at the terms and conditions if he can still read the disk, and report back... :D

Part of the reason that we draw a pretty hard line is that we really don't have the time or inclination to referee software licenses or to make guesses about the thoughts of corporate attorneys.
josehill wrote:
vishnu wrote: I don't know what Microsoft's policy on redistribution of those CDROMs was, my guess, since they were trying to reach as large an audience as possible, would be that they didn't care. Perhaps miod would be so kind as to look at the terms and conditions if he can still read the disk, and report back... :D

Part of the reason that we draw a pretty hard line is that we really don't have the time or inclination to referee software licenses or to make guesses about the thoughts of corporate attorneys.

Perfectly understandable, that's why (to paraphrase jwz ) "I don't use any Microsoft products and neither should you!" :mrgreen:
Project:
Plan:
It works ;)
Looks like a pretty nice IDE, wonder why the abandoned it... :shock:
Project:
Plan:
vishnu wrote: Looks like a pretty nice IDE, wonder why the abandoned it... :shock:

Does it? eek
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:O2: :1600SW: :O2: :1600SW: :Octane2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: :540: