IRIX and Software

irssi 0.8.13 n32 - Page 1

Seems like it's been a while since anyone bothered to port irssi, so here's my attempt that sits in /opt/irssi-0.8.13 so as not to conflict with the 0.8.10a nekoware version. Left the build tree+source below so who ever the maintainer is (zero clue) might want to use it as a guide to go roll some .idb,.sw,.opt,.man and plonk it in /usr/nekoware.

http://deviate.fi/~uridium/irssi-0.8.13 ... ee.tar.bz2
http://deviate.fi/~uridium/irssi-0.8.13 ... sl.tar.bz2
http://deviate.fi/~uridium/irssi-0.8.13 ... 32.tar.bz2 (no SSL/IPV6)

Thanks to the #sgi guys (oz.org) for testing + constructive abuse.

build env:
IP32 R5k @180Mhz
RAM: 128mb
Nekoware: -CURRENT as @12-JUL-2009
Al Boyanich
adb -w -P "world> " -k /dev/meta/galaxy/ksyms /dev/god/brain
Very cool. I don't know that anyone maintains irssi in Nekoware anymore, but if anyone would like it updated I can do it.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Hi. irssi 0.8.14 came out. Let champagne fall from the heavens .. etc. Soo.. same deal as before, here's my binaries. They sit in /opt/irssi-0.8.14 so they don't fudge-pack anything in the hallowed /usr/nekoware (as it should be! O.o!). Builds. here's the n32 binaries with ssl and ipv6 support. Seems to work for me. Took my 180mhz R5k O2 with 128MiB RAM ~2.5hrs to build clean once I un-boned the config scripts. Regan, if your reading, is there a .au mirror of nekochan or something local? Heck..I'll stick up on deviate.fi again and let ifreq cop the bandwidth :> *hugs ifreq* Again, thanks to oz.org #sgi guys for testing.

build env:
IP32 R5k @180Mhz
Nekoware: -CURRENT as @16-SEP-2009

http://deviate.fi/~uridium/irssi-0.8.14 ... sl.tar.bz2
http://deviate.fi/~uridium/irssi-0.8.14 ... ee.tar.bz2
Al Boyanich
* Sound of crickets

So is anyone else actually trying this? Working? problems?
Al Boyanich
Well, I can give it a whirl when I get back to the States in mid-November - but with the timing, that's at best mildly useful...
uridium wrote: * Sound of crickets

So is anyone else actually trying this? Working? problems?

I am! I am!

O2 RM7k/6.5.30. I have not setup lib paths and crap so maybe that's why it's dying on me with this err:

Code: Select all

eris 11% ../bin/irssi
8977:../bin/irssi: rld: Error: unresolvable symbol in ../bin/irssi: PL_curpad
8977:../bin/irssi: rld: Error: unresolvable symbol in ../bin/irssi: PL_sv_yes
8977:../bin/irssi: rld: Error: unresolvable symbol in ../bin/irssi: PL_op
8977:../bin/irssi: rld: Error: unresolvable symbol in ../bin/irssi: PL_tmps_floor
8977:../bin/irssi: rld: Error: unresolvable symbol in ../bin/irssi: PL_tmps_ix
8977:../bin/irssi: rld: Error: unresolvable symbol in ../bin/irssi: PL_stack_sp
8977:../bin/irssi: rld: Error: unresolvable symbol in ../bin/irssi: PL_markstack_ptr
8977:../bin/irssi: rld: Error: unresolvable symbol in ../bin/irssi: Perl_get_sv
8977:../bin/irssi: rld: Error: unresolvable symbol in ../bin/irssi: PL_perl_destruct_level
8977:../bin/irssi: rld: Error: unresolvable symbol in ../bin/irssi: PL_sigfpe_saved
8977:../bin/irssi: rld: Error: unresolvable symbol in ../bin/irssi: PL_sv_undef
8977:../bin/irssi: rld: Error: unresolvable symbol in ../bin/irssi: PL_errgv
8977:../bin/irssi: rld: Error: unresolvable symbol in ../bin/irssi: PL_stack_max
8977:../bin/irssi: rld: Error: unresolvable symbol in ../bin/irssi: PL_stack_base
8977:../bin/irssi: rld: Error: unresolvable symbol in ../bin/irssi: PL_markstack_max
8977:../bin/irssi: rld: Error: unresolvable symbol in ../bin/irssi: PL_na
8977:../bin/irssi: rld: Error: unresolvable symbol in ../bin/irssi: Perl_sv_2pv_flags
8977:../bin/irssi: rld: Fatal Error: this executable has unresolvable symbols

--

editnote:
Pulled the source, installed glib to satisfy prereqs, and am now kicking off a build. Will report in. Mind you if anything goes wrong I'm pretty much screwed since I never really got past chapter 1 of K&R :P
:Indigo2IMP: :O2: :Fuel: Image 8/E Image 8/M (1973) Image 8/M (1975)
theodric wrote: editnote:
Pulled the source, installed glib to satisfy prereqs, and am now kicking off a build. Will report in. Mind you if anything goes wrong I'm pretty much screwed since I never really got past chapter 1 of K&R :P

K&R is a little overrated these days. I learned C in college and K&R was definitely the standard, and I bought the book, but I never read it. The only book I read was a C pocket reference book published by Que in the 80s. Any time I got stuck, I just pulled out the pocket book. I still carry it with me everywhere. :)
Stuff.
Hi Journeyman, looks like the only dependencies it's linked against is:

Code: Select all

jazz:/opt/irssi-0.8.14[4075]%find . -print | xargs file | grep MIPS | cut -f1 -d\: | xargs ldd
libperl.so  =>   /usr/nekoware/lib/perl5/5.8.8/irix-n32/CORE/libperl.so
libm.so  =>      /usr/lib32/libm.so
libgmodule-2.0.so.1  =>  /usr/nekoware/lib/libgmodule-2.0.so.1
libglib-2.0.so.1  =>     /usr/nekoware/lib/libglib-2.0.so.1
libintl.so.4  =>         /usr/nekoware/lib/libintl.so.4
libiconv.so.3  =>        /usr/nekoware/lib/libiconv.so.3
libc.so.1  =>    /usr/lib32/libc.so.1
libssl.so.0.9.8  =>      /usr/nekoware/lib/libssl.so.0.9.8
libcrypto.so.0.9.8  =>   /usr/nekoware/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8
libcurses.so  =>         /usr/lib32/libcurses.so
jazz:/opt/irssi-0.8.14[4076]%

So, quickly guessing from that the dep's would be perl 5.8.x, libgcrypt, ssl, iconv and libintl, gmodule/glib (annoyingly).

You shouldn't need any LD_LIBRARY32_PATH set. I certainly don't. I just set a path to /opt/bin:/usr/nekoware/bin and have a link
in /opt/bin to /opt/irssi-0.8.14/bin/irssi there. Tell me how that goes. :D Happy mircNETting.
Al Boyanich
zmttoxics, K&R I always found dry but not bad. The one I get all misty-eyed over is by David Spueler or some such. I got it in TAFE/College around 1993 as my text for Programming Concepts 105. Geeze that was a good book for the era when faced with a Unisys-5000/5085 for the first time :)
Al Boyanich
Uber-fail. No idea what's going on here, but I can't use this build.
theodric: Hi, looks like your perl 5.8.{8.9} dist is broken or an rqsall bombed. Hmm. Most of those symbols are in nekoware's libperl.so if you run elfdump -cC libperl.so | pg<return> you should see that there's symbols for PL_curpad, PL_sv_yes, PL_op ... are there. Perhaps one of your perl deps is missing? Good place to start :)
Al Boyanich
uridium wrote: theodric: Hi, looks like your perl 5.8.{8.9} dist is broken or an rqsall bombed. Hmm. Most of those symbols are in nekoware's libperl.so if you run elfdump -cC libperl.so | pg<return> you should see that there's symbols for PL_curpad, PL_sv_yes, PL_op ... are there. Perhaps one of your perl deps is missing? Good place to start :)

Thanks for the pointer. I did update to the Perl build sitting in /beta but it didn't seem to make a load of difference. I'm on the wrong side of the (relatively small) country today but I'll be back nearer my machines tomorrow and will have another poke at this.
thanks it work fine on my octane.. great for using bitlbee
Your welcome. Is bitlbee working under irix these days is it? Hmm, that'd be useful and worth looking into. :)
Al Boyanich
I've been looking for this version cause it's the last that works with sgi java jdk 3.1.1 or newer but i haven't found anything yet ...
if it's right i would ask someone who has it to share it ... and maybe "plant" it on the nekochan ftp ... with many thanks from me and probably others

pertinent pages follows:

webarchive ...
http://web.archive.org/web/200312060737 ... valuation/

and not the last ...
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16718850&p=7283354&hilit=cosmocode#p7283354

maybe "dc_v01" user in the post above can share the 2.3.1 version of CosmoCode

The are numerous articles on the net that states ... the CosmoCode from sgi was one of the most powerful java development software ever written ...
Later a group took the software into custody but beside the 2.5 windows version nothing is to be found out there

it's getting more and more difficult to find old pages on the search machines these day's ... but not impossible ... thanks for that :)

I also tried lately the bxpro software, the 30 days trial with an extended month thanks to th ics guys and i was wondering if someone knows what is the differences from 1.2 version to the 1.2.1 ot the sgi rapidapp package version cause the doc database on sgi have manuals only for those versions ...
I think that the 6.2 bxpro evaluation version for irix is just up on ics.com ... i used 6.1.4 version ... and i'm impressed ... till the price ... :) ...

thank you

I updated the link to the webarchive site

It very clearly stated ... "free license"
So the 2.3.1 version was given for free ... with a free license ...
This is also the last version ...
The procedure was like that ... subscribe for free on the silicon surf account and then simply download the package and the free license
It can also be seen that the cosmo create 1.0.3, cosmo worlds 1.0.3 and cosmo player 2.1.5 were too free at that time so i guess the whole package cosmosuite the last 1.0.3 was given free ...
After that .. we're talking 2004 ... they remove a lot of softwares from their site .. and cosmo was one of them ...
The specific 1.0.3 suite however is free .. and it will remain that way cause sgi had all ownership privilege at that time ...
I understand that people are somehow reluctant to proprietary software .. but this was and is free software .. and more .. abandoned ... so it's safe

To be crystal clear .. here it is what sgi themselves said about free license software .. and the link too :
Defining Free License Downloads

"Free Lic.
Products designated as Free Lic. may be downloaded and installed at no cost and used indefinitely. However, they do require that a free license be installed on the system before the software may be used."

http://web.archive.org/web/200312041028 ... cense.html
Huzzah! Alexander Færøy hath blessed the internets with a new release of irssi, v0.8.15! \e/

It also builds on the blessed IRIX.

Get some:

http://deviate.fi/~uridium/irssi-0.8.15 ... 32.tar.bz2
http://deviate.fi/~uridium/irssi-0.8.15 ... ee.tar.bz2

Build env; Usual suspects ..

IP32 R5k @180Mhz
Nekoware: -CURRENT as @8-APR-2010
format: mips4, n32

Usual deal, sits in /opt/irssi-0.8.15 so as not to clutter up nekoware. Uses nekoware libs and other
crimes though.

Build time was faster, shade under 2hrs. Might've been quicker if the clown on ip:202.143.133.69 was
n't trying to log into my box as "root" 4x a second and brute force my ssh passwd and flog all my cy
cles! :evil: O.o! Also have a HP-UX version available for hppa1.1 in SOM format, for those that don't think
an IRIX /CTCP version informations is 'cool' enough. Give me a bell if it works or your system expl
odes.
Al Boyanich
Out of curiosity what's the hppa build built on? Any chance on a 2.0 version?

Simon
G'day Simon,

The HP-UX flavour I've rolled is actually messier than the IRIX one in so much as there's no nekoware there so I maintain all the dep software myself. So, to answer your question, yes, I could do a 64bit version because I do have a Allegro/c3750 lurking, but haven't. It's built on a little Staccato/A180C ( http://www.openpa.net/systems/hp_a180.html ). ldd for irssi looks like:
Code:
% ldd /opt/irssi-0.8.15/bin/irssi;uname -a;model
/usr/lib/libc.2 => /usr/lib/libc.2
/usr/lib/libdld.2 => /usr/lib/libdld.2
/usr/lib/libpthread.1 => /usr/lib/libpthread.1
/usr/lib/libxcurses.1 => /usr/lib/libxcurses.1
/usr/contrib/lib/libintl.sl.8 => /opt/gettext-0.17/lib/libintl.sl.8
/opt/hp-gcc-4.4.3/lib/libgcc_s.4 => /opt/hp-gcc-4.4.3/lib/libgcc_s.4
/opt/glib-2.24.0/lib/libglib-2.0.sl.2400 => /opt/glib-2.24.0/lib/libglib-2.0.sl.2400
/opt/glib-2.24.0/lib/libgmodule-2.0.sl.2400 =>  /opt/glib-2.24.0/lib/libgmodule-2.0.sl.2400
/opt/glib-2.24.0/lib/libglib-2.0.sl.2400 => /opt/glib-2.24.0/lib/libglib-2.0.sl.2400
HP-UX springer B.11.11 U 9000/800 HP-UX
9000/800/A180c
%

Usually the A180C is on because it eats around 1/3rd the juice of the c3750, is quieter and doesn't turn my room into a Pripyat Summer. Also it's more than enough horse power to run screen, mircnet, compiler, etc. I'm not currently using any package managment (depot, deb, rpm, rah rah), other than simple/unique version numbers for software in /opt. I used to roll .depots and have an /opt/skunkware and mirror it when I was at uni built and run off an old G40 (inferno) but gave up supporting it and the skunkware on 10.20 and 10.30 (yes there was a 10.30) years ago. Maybe worth while reviving it for 11i v1 for hobbyists given that HP is making rumblings about moth-balling it soonish.

Welcome to a tarball if you wish.

Take it easy.

Simon
Yep. v2 should be for itanic anyway. The supplimentary v2 update for 11i I've seen go tits up a few times.

Yes, HP dropped support for *ALL* 700 series machines.. which means "All Workstations" .. so no more graphics.. ever! That was around v2 time so your FX10pro won't work out of the box. You can get them running on 11iv3 with a lot of hack-fu from the v1 modules + libs, but seriously, unless your good with a hex editor and PA-Risc Asm, give it up.

FX10pro's actually quite a nice card. I have two of them. They'll Quake3 without breaking a sweat.

11iv3 they dropped support for anything 700 completely.. so you can't even install 11iv3 on a 700 class machine (and just get disabled fb). You have to find an 800 that can install it then brain-swap the disk over and change the boot order. I did it off an old rp4400 at my old work. You also need to replace some of the scsi drivers or it won't claim the controller and boot (which is an odd one because the older rp3410's are still supported and have the same scsi controller chip.. topic for another time).

Suffice to say, that if you want an "out of the box" PHUX experience on an Allegro, you want 11iv1. Feel free to send Carly Fiorina hate mail. I don't think Bob Hurd cares much either :~(

Regards,
Al.