SGI: Discussion

Bye-bye O350, O3900, Fuel and Tezro...

July 1, 2006

Dear Valued Customer:

With this letter, SGI is informing customers that the “general availability” period for new Origin® 350 and 3900, Silicon Graphics Fuel® and Silicon Graphics® Tezro®, including Spare Parts for self-maintainers, is ending as of December 29, 2006. All customer purchase orders will need to be received by December 29, 2006, and deliveries completed by March 30, 2007. It is highly recommended that if you have last time purchase needs for these products, please communicate them to your SGI Sales Representative at your earliest convenience and place a purchase order prior to the December 29, 2006 deadline.

https://support.sgi.com/content_request ... index.html
unixmuseum wrote:
July 1, 2006

Dear Valued Customer:

With this letter, SGI is informing customers that the “general availability” period for new Origin® 350 and 3900, Silicon Graphics Fuel® and Silicon Graphics® Tezro®, including Spare Parts for self-maintainers, is ending as of December 29, 2006. All customer purchase orders will need to be received by December 29, 2006, and deliveries completed by March 30, 2007. It is highly recommended that if you have last time purchase needs for these products, please communicate them to your SGI Sales Representative at your earliest convenience and place a purchase order prior to the December 29, 2006 deadline.

https://support.sgi.com/content_request ... index.html

Final nail in the coffin...guess its just tux and insmell now
-ks

:Onyx: :Onyx: :Crimson: :O2000: :Onyx2: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane2: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :320: :540: :O3x0: :1600SW: :1600SW: :hpserv:

See them all >here<
:cry: :cry: :cry:

That was it for IRIX?
Noooooo!!!! :cry:
Stupid stupid stupid decision!

Guess i'll be pampering my SGI's even more from now on...
-= I reject reality, and substitute my own =-

1 Indigo R3k-33 32MB XS24-Z;
1 Indy R5k-180 256MB XZ;
1 Indy R4k-175 64MB XL;
2 Indigo2 R10k-195 512MB MaxImpact;
2 Indigo2 R4k-200 256MB (XL+Extreme);
2 Octane Dual R12K-300 1024MB (MXI+V6).
Thomas W. wrote: :cry: :cry: :cry:

That was it for IRIX?

That was "it" for manufacturing current IRIX hardware , though it's a pretty safe bet that there won't ever be any new IRIX hardware, either.

As for IRIX itself, the announcement goes on to state that
The earliest projected end-of-support date for new Origin 350 and 3900, Fuel and Tezro is currently December 2013.

...so there will probably be at least one lonely IRIX engineer left until then.
:(
"EV-ERY-ONE!" --Stansfield
josehill wrote: ...so there will probably be at least one lonely IRIX engineer left until then.

he'll probably be outsourced though.
I am now officialy sad :cry:
Who have been SGI's major IRIX customers since the Linux/Intel sedition?
hmmm....not so bad, since my learning curve will drop cause only solaris, aix and of course linux are left for production use.
yetanother**ixuser wrote: hmmm....not so bad, since my learning curve will drop cause only solaris, aix and of course linux are left for production use.
Hey, there's still HP-UX! :wink:
josehill wrote:
yetanother**ixuser wrote: hmmm....not so bad, since my learning curve will drop cause only solaris, aix and of course linux are left for production use.

HP/UX on Titanicum is a sorry hack and the PA-RISC cpus are killed as we speak. :x
psergiu wrote:
josehill wrote:

HP/UX on Titanicum is a sorry hack and the PA-RISC cpus are killed as we speak. :x

Okay, okay! I take it back! I never said anything! :lol: :lol: :lol:
josehill wrote:
The earliest projected end-of-support date for new Origin 350 and 3900, Fuel and Tezro is currently December 2013.

Ok, 20 years of SGI producing workstations are history, but nevertheless I seem to have noticed that one or the other on Nekochan still happily hacks away on boxes for which the end-of-support date has long passed but none of them really complains much about lacking support - so why lamenting now? I myself am reasonably sure I'll get support for my Fuel for the next 10 years or so as well [since my local SGI support still maintains boxes from 1994, I'm confident I'll manage a support contract beyond 2013 as well].

And - I already have this crazy idea to get me a remarketed Tezro next year - I've no idea what do to with it yet, but it would sure be cool to own one :D

Besides - noone of us can really tell what the *nix landscape will look like in, say, 10 years from now - perhaps then there will be none anyway and everything is just a nightmare, eh Windows :)
About 40% of Americans deny evolution. Sad.
Oskar45 wrote: Ok, 20 years of SGI producing workstations are history, but nevertheless I seem to have noticed that one or the other on Nekochan still happily hacks away on boxes for which the end-of-support date has long passed but none of them really complains much about lacking support - so why lamenting now? I myself am reasonably sure I'll get support for my Fuel for the next 10 years or so as well [since my local SGI support still maintains boxes from 1994, I'm confident I'll manage a support contract beyond 2013 as well].

I tend to agree with you, but it does mean that Nekochan will become even more important to the community than it is now! :D

Oskar45 wrote: And - I already have this crazy idea to get me a remarketed Tezro next year - I've no idea what do to with it yet, but it would sure be cool to own one :D

Yeah - me too!

Oskar45 wrote: Besides - noone of us can really tell what the *nix landscape will look like in, say, 10 years from now - perhaps then there will be none anyway and everything is just a nightmare, eh Windows :)

Nah, we'll have direct neural implants running embedded BorgOS by then. :lol: