Hardware Wanted

WTB: SGI Prism - Page 1

I'm looking for an SGI Prism, if you have one for a decent price, so long as the case is in good shape and the system is working, I'd be interested. I have ZERO idea what these go for.
SGI:
:Fuel: R16000A@900MHz 3GB V10
L2 Controller
Non-SGI:
HP C8000
HP EliteBook 8560p [email protected] 16GB Youmu FreeBSD 10.1/Windows 8.1
IBM IntelliStation 265 Dual POWER3-II@450MHz Jigoku-Karasu ( Hell Raven )

Incoming/On bench for repair/not in service:
2x :O3x0: Origin 300
:A3502L:
For Sale: O2 DIMMS, Octane and O2 caddies, Octane2 maxed out.
They do popup on eBay from time to time, I paid $600 for mine a few years back in not the greatest of condition, though it works great and is considerably quieter than a Tezro.
:Indigo: 33mhz R3k/48mb/XS24 :Indy: 150mhz R4400/256mb/XL24 :Fuel: 600mhz R14kA/2gb/V10 Image 8x1.4ghz Itanium 2/8GB :O3x08R: 32x600mhz R14kA/24GB :Tezro: 4x700mhz R16k/8GB/V12/DCD/SAS/FC/DM5 (2x) :O3x0: 4x700mhz R16k/4GB :PrismDT: 2x1.6ghz 8mb/12gb/SAS/2xFGL
You need to be patient to find a very good condition system (due to size and weigh and full metal skin, scuff are common...). They are harder to find now than two or three years ago.
:PI: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Onyx2: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Fuel: :PrismDT:
Oh I know guys. I want one for the coolness factor, mostly.
SGI:
:Fuel: R16000A@900MHz 3GB V10
L2 Controller
Non-SGI:
HP C8000
HP EliteBook 8560p [email protected] 16GB Youmu FreeBSD 10.1/Windows 8.1
IBM IntelliStation 265 Dual POWER3-II@450MHz Jigoku-Karasu ( Hell Raven )

Incoming/On bench for repair/not in service:
2x :O3x0: Origin 300
:A3502L:
For Sale: O2 DIMMS, Octane and O2 caddies, Octane2 maxed out.
You're right, they have the style :D

Full metal chassis, great color and front panel, sgi cube logo, not so loud when idle.... Side panel are heavy like hell...
:PI: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Onyx2: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Fuel: :PrismDT:
Still interested in one.
Entire collection up for sale :(
edit:
this is a good lecture, other answers come from the wiky .
Some prowling the streets, looking for sweets from their Candyman , I'm Looking for a new fun with IP30/Octane2
IP30 purposes : linux (kernel development), Irix Scientific Apps { Ansys, Catia, Pro/E, FiberSIM, AutoDYNþ }
Other Projects : { Cerberus , Woody Box , 68K-board, SWI_DBG }, discontinued Console hacks { GB , PSX1 }
Wanted Equipments : { U1732C LCR meter by Keysight, alternatives are the welcome }
Yo man, 100Gbyte of ram is not enough, U wanna be hacker?cracker?, You think a Commodore 64 is really neato -
ivelegacy wrote: It's Itanium inside, and I do not like the Itanium architecture, also, what about Applications ?
IRIS has interesting Apps, absolutely
HPUX may have interesting Apps, hard to find, and … reduced set (Catia is existing, btw, so I may be fine)
but what about Itanium ?

Also, It has EFI in its firmware: it gets no love from me, definitively :lol:

Your opinions aren't welcomed in my want to buy threads - that's not polite.

HP-UX runs on Itanium. Haven't you heard of the ZX2000 and ZX6000?

EFI is fine, UEFI is the problem.
Entire collection up for sale :(
TeamBlackFox wrote: Your opinions

like that , it sounds <Happy>
Some prowling the streets, looking for sweets from their Candyman , I'm Looking for a new fun with IP30/Octane2
IP30 purposes : linux (kernel development), Irix Scientific Apps { Ansys, Catia, Pro/E, FiberSIM, AutoDYNþ }
Other Projects : { Cerberus , Woody Box , 68K-board, SWI_DBG }, discontinued Console hacks { GB , PSX1 }
Wanted Equipments : { U1732C LCR meter by Keysight, alternatives are the welcome }
Yo man, 100Gbyte of ram is not enough, U wanna be hacker?cracker?, You think a Commodore 64 is really neato -
TeamBlackFox wrote: Your opinions aren't welcomed in my want to buy threads - that's not polite.

To be blunt, instead of bitching you could have just answered the question, or said nothing at all. This is a discussion forum after all. People should be welcome to discuss things. Whether you answer them of course is up to you.

However, I'm probably not the only one tired of seeing snappy responses when someone simply asks you a question. Who knows, maybe you have a really good reason for wanting such a system and others can see your response and think "hey, what a good idea!". Or maybe you just want one because they look neat. Either way, please cut out the moaning.
Systems in use:
:Fuel: - Lithium : R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen : R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
Other systems in storage: :O2: x 2, :Indy: x 2
Trippynet wrote:
TeamBlackFox wrote: Your opinions aren't welcomed in my want to buy threads - that's not polite.

To be blunt, instead of bitching you could have just answered the question, or said nothing at all. This is a discussion forum after all. People should be welcome to discuss things. Whether you answer them of course is up to you.

However, I'm probably not the only one tired of seeing snappy responses when someone simply asks you a question. Who knows, maybe you have a really good reason for wanting such a system and others can see your response and think "hey, what a good idea!". Or maybe you just want one because they look neat. Either way, please cut out the moaning.

Um...what question? I seriously cannot find a question in any of ivelegacy's posts in this thread. Though to be fair, his writing is so incoherent I can't say with any confidence whether he intended to pose a question and just failed miserably at it.

BlackFox tends to get on my nerves, but I really fail to see what he did wrong here. Even if there were a question, how is a WTB thread an appropriate venue to start criticizing someone's interests? Also, last time I checked, you don't need a "justifcation" for wanting something. I don't think BlackFox has to "prove" to you, or to anyone that he is worthy of owning a computer .
krfkeith wrote: what question?

above I asked which applications you could eventually find and run on Prism machines, and how good/bad is having to deal with *EFI.
ivelegacy wrote: above, I asked which applications you could eventually find and run on Prism machines, and how good/bad is having to deal with *EFI.

Since you're clearly teetering on the edge of functional illiteracy, I will try and put this simply: no, you didn't. Making snide comments doesnt constitute, in my opinion, asking a question. And as I said in my last post, why on earth would you think this is the right place to discuss your personal opinions on EFI and the supposed paucity of Itanium software?
ivelegacy no doubt has a problem with English and coming across in the right way to get humour or his point across. He and I have had a few erm.. slightly harsh discussions, but I've learnt that no matter what, his humour is utter crap, nothing he says is intentionally awful and he never means any harm.

If TeamBalckFox wants a Phillips G700 to run iOS on it, then that's what he wants, and the problem stems from to many people stating you should do it this way or you don't need this etc, when the guy has decided what he wants and wants to give it a bash full stop. Nothing wrong with advice, but sometimes people want to just do things.

Some people on here have little sense of humour and seem to take this outdated hobby we all have far to seriously.

Team.. relax and chill.. ivealeg.. going to Oxford is not going to help.. I suggest you put your comments in some form of <happyTag> </happyTag> so people know how to take you.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :Octane2: :O2: :Indy: loft => :Indigo: :540: :Octane: :Octane: :Indy:
uunix wrote: no doubt has a problem with English and …. his humour is utter crap

Ironically we get along for this reason, because your humor is different light years ahead than mine while my English course is really a utter crap, so we get along because you are the One I trust when you appreciate any progress :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Forum posts are a lot like texts in the way they can get taken out of context. I do think a little patience with the language barrier goes a long way.

Despite getting my a$$ kicked by my A350 I also would love a Prism just for the adventure (or suffering) of owning one. There have been a few in my area but they are usually hammered or missing parts.
If the thing isn't on fire it's a software problem.

:Tezro: :Octane2: :O2+: :Fuel: :O3x0: :A350: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo:
mopar5150 wrote: ...they are usually hammered or missing parts.

It's a never ending source of amazement to me how bad of shape these things are in, given what their original owner's must have paid for them you'd think they would have cautioned their users against mishandling, if not deliberate abuse.
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
Most of the SGI gear I get are from Silicon valley and are usually just piled on a pallet. I believe most of these high dollar systems were used in large corporations and are no more than a used up asset. On the rare occasion I find one from a private owner they tend to be nearly perfect, and costly.
I have been lucky to find a few scrappers who call me when they get SGIs in and have saved several pallets from getting scrapped.

The hard part is that any of the salvage yards within 10 hours of me think that a smashed O2 is worth $300.
If the thing isn't on fire it's a software problem.

:Tezro: :Octane2: :O2+: :Fuel: :O3x0: :A350: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo:
vishnu wrote:
mopar5150 wrote: ...they are usually hammered or missing parts.

It's a never ending source of amazement to me how bad of shape these things are in, given what their original owner's must have paid for them you'd think they would have cautioned their users against mishandling, if not deliberate abuse.

It is with great difficulty that I have restrained myself from kicking the crap out of my O350. I can easily imagine a time when restraint will break down .....
I never thought that a fat man's face would ever look so sweet ...
krfkeith wrote: Since you're clearly teetering on the edge of functional illiteracy, I will try and put this simply: no, you didn't.

Relax. He posed some "devils advocate" questions and talking points, which in some circles might have led to some intelligent or interesting debate. Not many of us have Prisms, so at worst any properly thought out answer by TeamBlackFox or any Prism owners was likely to have informed us all a little more about these systems. That is the reason I opened and read this thread - like most other posters, I don't have any Prism to sell.

Since you are the expert on literacy, the question mark at the end of this text should have been your first clue he posed a question.
ivelegacy wrote: but it's Itanium inside, what about Applications ?

Not everyone here is a native English speaker you know.