Hardware Wanted

Radius VideoVision Break-Out Box - Page 1

I'm in the proccess of maxing out my Quadra 950 so I have given it the PowerPC upgrade, 64mb parity ram, the Radius PhotoEngine, and the Radius VideoVision.
Unfortunately I'm missing the break-out box for the VideoVision. Would anyone have a spare handy?

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
I don't have an extra one, but this one seems reasonably priced.
Okay, I'll bum him about shipping and see where that goes.

Edit: I'm assuming you already know that the NuBus and PCI versions of the VideoVision for some off reason use different BOB cable pinouts, right?

I had no idea - is the BOB on eBay compatible with your boards?
No idea. Nobody ever bothered to document which model BOB worked with which card so I'll find out anyhow since I got both the NuBus and PCI versions of the board without their BOB's.

I MAY have one of those monster cables that go to the VV Telecast around here somewhere, just looked but didn't find it. Radius didn't change the cable for the PCI version, just added another smaller cable to act as adapter to make the Nubus cable usable with the PCI board. If I can find it that should tell you which is which. I've got some VV stuff I don't need, an original hardbacked manual for the Telecast with box for shelving it (not too big so its not heavy), spiral bound manual for the SP (the name for the PCI version) and a VHS guide to the Telecast. If you want I can check the price for media mail and you can have them for shipping.

BTW I did not forget about checking that Targa 2000 Mac CD. Trying to get a G3 iMac up and running now.
The documentation set sounds interesting. I'll keep it in mond and consider it after I finish moving so I don't get stuff ending up at the wrong house.

Speaking of the Targa, I managed to get all the original cables for it. They are really nice I must say.

The ebay guy got back to me.
"Sorry, no International shipping."

God damn.....

I'd be happy to relay it to you if you like.

EDIT: On a side note, I can't understand eBay sellers who refuse to ship internationally. It's not like they've got to carry the package any further. As long as the buyer is willing to pay the cost, why not? If anything, such sellers deprive themselves of potential customers and thus hurt their own business.
No luck on the Telecast cable, sorry. I thought for sure I kept it.
Well if they appear quite often I'll hold off for now then I guess. I got a lot of stuff on the go right now with moving so I'll try again after I am settled down again (I can't even find my cell phone charger).

ajerimez wrote:
On a side note, I can't understand eBay sellers who refuse to ship internationally. It's not like they've got to carry the package any further. As long as the buyer is willing to pay the cost, why not? If anything, such sellers deprive themselves of potential customers and thus hurt their own business.

True, and I agree, but there is more paperwork when you ship internationally out of the U.S. The last time I did it, I had to fill out a longish-form to satisfy export requirements, and it's a pain. You have to look up ECCNs on a federal website. Even if it's no money out of the pocket of the seller, it is time.

What I don't understand is why our government requires all of this red tape for small shipments by individuals or small businesses.

True, and I agree, but there is more paperwork when you ship internationally out of the U.S. The last time I did it, I had to fill out a longish-form to satisfy export requirements, and it's a pain. You have to look up ECCNs on a federal website. Even if it's no money out of the pocket of the seller, it is time.

If you use the post office, that's not true. There's a little green card with the address and contents and value. "Joe Sixpack, $50, circuit board." That's it.

I can understand some uneasiness about packages getting lost halfway around the world or being grafted by some Argentine Customs crooks or trashed by the Italian post office but Canada ? Silly.

Quote:
What I don't understand is why our government requires all of this red tape for small shipments by individuals or small businesses.

In the case of China, the United States' largest trading "partner", they should demand that you have the package individually inspected by the Inspection Bureau, have a long list of items that can't be shipped, charge 50% duty and tax, and a long long looong list of other bullcrap. China does.

You people are such tools. There is absolutely no reason to "re-evaluate the yuan." Just impose exacttly the same restrictions on Chinese imports that they impose on American ones. But no. You don't want a middle class. You don't want the average person to have a decent life. You all want to swivel around in overstuffed $1500 chairs and play bigshot Manager. That ain't gonna work, Bunky. Look around.
hamei wrote:
If you use the post office, that's not true. There's a little green card with the address and contents and value. "Joe Sixpack, $50, circuit board." That's it.

Not the last time I shipped internationally, which was a few months ago. My local post office made me fill out a complete export declaration. I don't recall now where I was shipping to, but I think it was in Europe.

Not the last time I shipped internationally, which was a few months ago. My local post office made me fill out a complete export declaration. I don't recall now where I was shipping to, but I think it was in Europe.

Hmm. We should research this. I don't get stuff all that often but it's been simple. I wonder if there's a declared value setting or something that kicks the process into pita ? The Assist has been getting stuff fairly often from overseas, since it's cheaper to buy clothes in the US or France than in China. Export declarations haven't been an issue.
hamei wrote:
Hmm. We should research this. I don't get stuff all that often but it's been simple. I wonder if there's a declared value setting or something that kicks the process into pita ?
I think it's just the PO's interpretation of international treaties regulating imports. I just sent a package to an American APO address in Europe - even though APO addresses get domestic postal rates, a long-form customs declaration is required <regardless of the value of the contents>.

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
There are two different US Mail customs forms, depending (I think) on the value of the item. The forms are mildly annoying, but they really don't demand any extensive information - sender & receiver's addresses, brief description of contents, and value. I've found that offering international shipping is well worth the trouble, as half my buyers have been from Europe and Asia, even for large items. I recently shipped a $150 Indy to someone in China who paid $120 for shipping!
ajerimez wrote:
I recently shipped a $150 Indy to someone in China who paid $120 for shipping!

Good thing you didn't tell me or I'd have sold them my spare Fuel for just a little more :shock:
hamei wrote:
I can understand some uneasiness about packages getting lost halfway around the world or being grafted by some Argentine Customs crooks or trashed by the Italian post office but Canada ? Silly.

Hey there!
...well, just for the record, and given the opposite situation, I have to say that shipping internationally from Argentine is slightly more complex than shipping locally inside the country. The reason is: you can ship locally from any post office around your town; but you only can ship internationally from the main post office.

For my own case this is not too far (5 Kmts.) and considering that there is only one main post office for each city, I guess things can be a lot worst for other people. I know from people at 100 Kmts. from it or more. On the other hand, there is a standard post office at less than 500 Mts. from here... so, as you can see... at least in this case there is a real difference between both cases. Add to this, you need to fill a form which will need your own signature.

So, if you ask... I can understand people refusing to take those extra cares to ship one package. Anyway, and despite of this fact... I've never refused myself any international shipping! :)

hamei wrote:
Hmm. We should research this. I don't get stuff all that often but it's been simple. I wonder if there's a declared value setting or something that kicks the process into pita ?
I think it's just the PO's interpretation of international treaties regulating imports. I just sent a package to an American APO address in Europe - even though APO addresses get domestic postal rates, a long-form customs declaration is required <regardless of the value of the contents>.

Must depend a bit on the physical size of the package? I just sent a small package to a DPO (same thing as APO) and they didn't ask for anything. The recipient was adamant that I not put the destination country anywhere on the address or package or the PO would screw it up. Were the customs forms country specific?