Hardware For Sale/Trade

Free: 4 racks of Onyx2 in Sweden

Not mine. I spotted this on a list I subscribe to and didn't see it on the first several pages of Hardware For Sale/Trade so I'm passing it along. Curse my not having a garage to put this in! e-mail address inline, obscured, below.

Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 21:12:36 +0100
From: Pontus Pihlgren <pontus at Up(remove.me)date dot UU dot SE>
Subject: Free SGI Onyx2 in Link?ping Sweden
To: [email protected]
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1

Hi

This is a longshot, if you can make it to Linköping with a truck within
two weeks, I can probably hook you up with 4 racks worth of SGI Onyx2.

/Pontus.
:Indigo2IMP: :O2: :Fuel: Image 8/E Image 8/M (1973) Image 8/M (1975)
Ah yes, That would be me :)

I've announced this to a few swedish nekochan members before, but interest was low.

On rack _might_ be spoken for and I _might_ take one, but it looks like I will be taking parts(if I can) and letting the rest go to the dumpster. It is mostly 300 MHz CPU:s and I'm not sure what graphics it is.

/P
:Onyx2R: :IRIS3130: :Onyx2: :O2000: :O200: :PI: :Fuel: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy: :1600SW: :pdp8e:
:BA213: <- MicroVAX 3500 :BA213: <- DECsystem 5500 :BA215: <- MicroVAX 3300
Pictures of my collection: www.pdp8.se
great offer
r-a-c.de
Pontus wrote: I've announced this to a few swedish nekochan members before, but interest was low.

That's too bad, but I suppose that racks require space many people (like me) don't have! I'd love to have a couple of racks of Onyx2 to play with, regardless of spec...

Best of luck finding a home for as much as possible!
:Indigo2IMP: :O2: :Fuel: Image 8/E Image 8/M (1973) Image 8/M (1975)
If it were bit closer... :(
:O2: R7000/600 576MB Ram CDRW 18+9Gb HDD
http://www.tomosgi.co.cc
Pontus wrote: I've announced this to a few swedish nekochan members before, but interest was low.
/P

Well, it's not a matter of low interest. Me and Bjornl are very eager to get these racks but there is the slight problem of bringing them home. As I've been up to lysator and brought home two O2k racks (with car and trailer) I know that it isn't a walk in the park. Also, it's a 700km roundtrip from where we live.

As it is cold and unfriendly right now it would be very nice if we could get the chance to get them when the weather has changed toward more spring-like.

So, the interest very much exists.

/Matt
If I can't fix it I can fix it so it can't be fixed.
:O2000: :O2000: +MXE/IO6G :Onyx: [RE2] :Fuel: :O200: :Octane: x3 :Octane2: :O2: x2 :1600SW: x3 :Indigo2IMP: x2 :Indigo2: x2 :Indigo: :Indy: x5 :320: x2, 2xSparcStation 20 and a horde of PC's
tesla wrote:
/P

Well, it's not a matter of low interest. Me and Bjornl are very eager to get these racks but there is the slight problem of bringing them home. As I've been up to lysator and brought home two O2k racks (with car and trailer) I know that it isn't a walk in the park. Also, it's a 700km roundtrip from where we live.

As it is cold and unfriendly right now it would be very nice if we could get the chance to get them when the weather has changed toward more spring-like.

So, the interest very much exists.

/Matt

I see, I misinterpreted. Unfortunately there really is no time :( These racks are living on overtime already. But now it looks like Bjornl will get one rack, a fellow in Växjö will get one and I will try to rescue the other two.

/P
:Onyx2R: :IRIS3130: :Onyx2: :O2000: :O200: :PI: :Fuel: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy: :1600SW: :pdp8e:
Wow, two racks? Impressive.
Anyone got any specs whatsoever out of these old workhorses?
:O3200: :Fuel: :Indy: :O3x02L:
ramq wrote: Wow, two racks? Impressive.
Anyone got any specs whatsoever out of these old workhorses?

They will go to storage :( But I hate to see these machines going into the dumpster. I don't know the details, but it is two systems:

First system: 1 rack with on CPU module and one Graphics module
Second system: 2 racks with four CPU modules and 1 rack with graphics modules.

The CPU:s are not that powerful, I've been told it is the medium speed R10k. The machines have been off line for a while and I have not seen a hinv. The graphics are unknown.

Bjornl will get the first system(which, I'm told, is a bit more powerful CPU-wise). And I will split the other system into one rack with CPU and graphics and the rest.
As defined as two seperate systems, you'd need another MMSC to make a complete third machine. However, I'm not sure you need one if you only have one compute module in one chassis.
:O3200: :Fuel: :Indy: :O3x02L:
ramq wrote: As defined as two seperate systems, you'd need another MMSC to make a complete third machine. However, I'm not sure you need one if you only have one compute module in one chassis.

I was under the impression that each rack will have an MMSC module (even if there is only one display). I also think you can run the racks with only the MSC in each module. But if I'm wrong.. well, maybe someone will be on the hunt for another MMSC :)
I have a spare MMSC..
Also you can run an Onyx2 without an MMSC: Flick all the keys within a few seconds of each other..

I would help if I could, but I could not be any further away from you and still be on the same planet..
死の神はりんごだけ食べる

開いた括弧は必ず閉じる -- あるプログラマー

:Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2R: :Onyx2RE: :Onyx2: :O3x04R: :O3x0: :O200: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :PI: :PI: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x Mac, 3 x SUN, Alpha DS20E, Alpha 800 5/550, 3 x RS/6000, Amiga 4000 VideoToaster, Amiga4000 -030, 733MHz Sam440 AmigaOS 4.1 update 1.

Sold: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: Tandem Himalaya S-Series Nonstop S72000 ServerNet.

Twitter @PymbleSoftware
Current Apps (iOS) -> https://itunes.apple.com/au/artist/pymb ... d553990081
(Android) https://play.google.com/store/apps/deve ... +Ltd&hl=en
(Onyx2) Cortex ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cortex-th ... 11?sk=info
(0300s) Minnie ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Minnie-th ... 02?sk=info
Github ---> https://github.com/pymblesoftware