IBM

IBM RS/6000 Thinkpad Laptop "Model 860" - Page 2

GL1zdA wrote: OS/2 for PowerPC might also work on the 860.

If screenshots are proof, yes, it does.

But then you run into the BeOS effect - it installs, looks good, runs great, but there's nothing you can do with it :shock:
vwarez wrote:
geo wrote: hehehe that's the same answer i got from the seller :) but hmm i wonder how about vwarez? does your battery pack still got juice? you mention only issue is password so i thought everything works as is including battery right?

I’m still looking for the AIX CDs, so laptop status is unknown. On the other hand, the battery takes full charge!!

hi vwarez, hows your laptop? wow! that battery really was taken care well :)

btw i got another seller here but its an 850 and he doesn't know how to operate it, he only knows when powered up it stucks on this screen:

is this still repairable? i don't have experience with AIX, but this screen, in what state is this? PROM/BIOS?
:Octane: (Sakura) :O2: (Sasuke) :1600SW: (Naruto) ... lil Jesse! (O2 laptop)
“Imagination is more important than knowledge.“ – A. Einstein
My guess: dead / not working hard drive.
Perhaps the serial port on these can be used as a serial console?
More info here:
install Linux on a 860: http://users.cis.fiu.edu/~ayanic01/rs6k/
Torfinn
geo wrote: is this still repairable? i don't have experience with AIX, but this screen, in what state is this? PROM/BIOS?

That is the power-on self-test screen. If you press one or the other of the F-keys (F2? F4? I always have to check) when that screen is on, you can get into the various self-test/configuration modes.

I forget what happens if no boot device is found, but it may very well just sit there at that screen forever when that happens. It could be a bad sign, or it could just be an unformatted drive. Check that there's one even installed, by lifting up the keyboard. It just snaps in place at the front, with a hinge at the back. The hard drive will be clearly visible underneath, at the left (battery on the right, removable media bay in the middle; memory cards underneath all of that).

If it's missing, you might have some difficulty finding a replacement, since it uses a 2.5" SCSI drive in a special carrier. But you could make it work with a "normal" SCSI drive connected to the port on the rear.
:OnyxR: :IRIS3130: :IRIS2400: :Onyx: :ChallengeL: :4D220VGX: :Indigo: :Octane: :Cube: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy:
I actually have one of these, though mine's currently offline until I get a CF card for it. Will be trying out installation with an Artmix PowerMonster adapter when I get it all back together. I've been running NT 4.0 PPC on it, it will install from the stock CDROM, but you need a 2 floppies, one to get the ARC loader for the platform installed and another to load the machine-specific HAL. The nice thing about NT is it has wider PCMCIA support. However, if I could ever get AIX 4.1 media, I would love to play with the video input on the 860 - all the documentation I have found implies it is only supported there. Linux is another possibility for it, though I have not tried that since the 2.2 kernel or so. I know platform support for PReP is getting rusty there.

If you don't have a floppy drive you can build a custom NT4 install CD that includes the ARC loader and HAL for it - I have instructions for making that somewhere.
:Cube: :O2: :Indigo2: :Octane:
tingo wrote: My guess: dead / not working hard drive.
Perhaps the serial port on these can be used as a serial console?
More info here:
install Linux on a 860: http://users.cis.fiu.edu/~ayanic01/rs6k/

hi tingo, i see hmm maybe, coz i can see the hard drive from another picture
anyway i just give up and looking forward to that other seller maybe i can convince him to drop the price a lil bit.. 5000RMB still a bit painful :)

kjaer wrote: That is the power-on self-test screen. If you press one or the other of the F-keys (F2? F4? I always have to check) when that screen is on, you can get into the various self-test/configuration modes.

I forget what happens if no boot device is found, but it may very well just sit there at that screen forever when that happens. It could be a bad sign, or it could just be an unformatted drive. Check that there's one even installed, by lifting up the keyboard. It just snaps in place at the front, with a hinge at the back. The hard drive will be clearly visible underneath, at the left (battery on the right, removable media bay in the middle; memory cards underneath all of that).

If it's missing, you might have some difficulty finding a replacement, since it uses a 2.5" SCSI drive in a special carrier. But you could make it work with a "normal" SCSI drive connected to the port on the rear.

hi kjaer, thanks for the details but i think i wont buy it anymore, just waist if ever the hd is dead :( yes there was a drive inside, saw it from his other picture. but yeah, bad sign, i think no need to waist time and money right? and as what you said, its difficult to find a replacement, so no thanks, if really want to, ill just buy that working one with high price :) but neh.. just wait til he decide to drop the price :)

rjb wrote: I actually have one of these, though mine's currently offline until I get a CF card for it. Will be trying out installation with an Artmix PowerMonster adapter when I get it all back together. I've been running NT 4.0 PPC on it, it will install from the stock CDROM, but you need a 2 floppies, one to get the ARC loader for the platform installed and another to load the machine-specific HAL. The nice thing about NT is it has wider PCMCIA support. However, if I could ever get AIX 4.1 media, I would love to play with the video input on the 860 - all the documentation I have found implies it is only supported there. Linux is another possibility for it, though I have not tried that since the 2.2 kernel or so. I know platform support for PReP is getting rusty there.

If you don't have a floppy drive you can build a custom NT4 install CD that includes the ARC loader and HAL for it - I have instructions for making that somewhere.

hi rjb, wow! good to hear your's still running and even put something new :) i see, so video just works with AIX.. are those two In and Out right? thanks will keep that in mind ;) but first need to get one first :)

btw i wonder which is more nice to have, this IBM Thinkpad POWER or the Alphabook 1?
geo wrote: anyway i just give up and looking forward to that other seller maybe i can convince him to drop the price a lil bit.. 5000RMB still a bit painful :)

Don't even consider it, geo. If you buy something from Japan they say "It's junk and bad !" if it even has a tiny scratch. If you look at anything unusual (aka anything that's not a cheapo peecee) in China, it's been drop-kicked through the goal posts of life about three hundred times but they want a million five for it. And they won't bargain. They have no idea what it is and can't even turn it on but by god, they know it's worth san shi wan rmb.

They are idiots. They can keep their beloved crap forever. You will see gloriously overpriced trash that's been on taobao for years. Literally years. Things like a 195 mhz pimm for an Octane for $800 ...
hamei wrote:
geo wrote: anyway i just give up and looking forward to that other seller maybe i can convince him to drop the price a lil bit.. 5000RMB still a bit painful :)

Don't even consider it, geo. If you buy something from Japan they say "It's junk and bad !" if it even has a tiny scratch. If you look at anything unusual (aka anything that's not a cheapo peecee) in China, it's been drop-kicked through the goal posts of life about three hundred times but they want a million five for it. And they won't bargain. They have no idea what it is and can't even turn it on but by god, they know it's worth san shi wan rmb.

They are idiots. They can keep their beloved crap forever. You will see gloriously overpriced trash that's been on taobao for years. Literally years. Things like a 195 mhz pimm for an Octane for $800 ...

haha thanks hamei, ok will totally give up then, lost my appetite ;) yeah, no wonder my O2 laptop has a broken LCD when arrive :( that's why my recent purchase i let it post to our HK office, i think much safer there ;) hahahah indeed!! the seller said he doesn't know how to operate it but only knows he can sell it for that price geeez very annoying..

hahaha that's what i told my self, just let them have it until it rot! :) my God.. yeah also notice those horrible prices.. there's a good sgi seller from gz area, i think will try to check it out in person someday ;)
geo wrote: ... no wonder my O2 laptop has a broken LCD when arrive :(

Yuan tong and shen feng are okay. The rest are shit, total shit. Kick it across the floor, down the steps, throw it out the window ... sometimes I hate peasants. We'd be better off if the shipping companies hired chimpanzees.
hamei wrote: Yuan tong and shen feng are okay.

ok noted thanks! but hmm yuan tong they said has not a good reputation on punctuality? so we always us SF if local :)

hamei wrote: The rest are shit, total shit. Kick it across the floor, down the steps, throw it out the window ... sometimes I hate peasants. We'd be better off if the shipping companies hired chimpanzees.

my GOD! even if it got fragile stickers? geezz wahahaahah then planet of the apes will happen hehe
geo wrote: ... even if it got fragile stickers?

Fragile stickers translate to "kick me" in Chinese. Have you ever seen that Samsonite advertisement with the gorilla ? It should be on youtube (if you have a vpn.)

I'm serious. If you could carry a package three feet then set it down, they will drop it on the floor and kick it the three feet instead. Sometimes they back up and drop it from ten feet away so they can get in more kicks. Even the cans in the grocery store - look at them some time. They are all dented to hell.

Peasants :(
Not a funny subject I know but that last post made me :D
Image , VAXstation 4000/90 x2, VAXstation 4000/60, VAXstation 4000/VLC x2, AlphaServer 1000A, DEC AXP 3000/600 (desktop), DEC AXP 3000/600 x2 (rackmount), DEC AXP 3000/800 (rackmount), AlphaServer 300 4/266, DEC GIGI, Sun Ultra 5, LA75, PP404, Juki 6100, Brother HR10
hamei wrote:
geo wrote: ... even if it got fragile stickers?

Fragile stickers translate to "kick me" in Chinese. Have you ever seen that Samsonite advertisement with the gorilla ? It should be on youtube (if you have a vpn.)

I'm serious. If you could carry a package three feet then set it down, they will drop it on the floor and kick it the three feet instead. Sometimes they back up and drop it from ten feet away so they can get in more kicks. Even the cans in the grocery store - look at them some time. They are all dented to hell.

Peasants :(

Oh you have dealt with TNT in Australia then..?

R.
死の神はりんごだけ食べる

開いた括弧は必ず閉じる -- あるプログラマー

:Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2R: :Onyx2RE: :Onyx2: :O3x04R: :O3x0: :O200: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :PI: :PI: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x Mac, 3 x SUN, Alpha DS20E, Alpha 800 5/550, 3 x RS/6000, Amiga 4000 VideoToaster, Amiga4000 -030, 733MHz Sam440 AmigaOS 4.1 update 1.

Sold: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: Tandem Himalaya S-Series Nonstop S72000 ServerNet.

Twitter @PymbleSoftware
Current Apps (iOS) -> https://itunes.apple.com/au/artist/pymb ... d553990081
(Android) https://play.google.com/store/apps/deve ... +Ltd&hl=en
(Onyx2) Cortex ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cortex-th ... 11?sk=info
(0300s) Minnie ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Minnie-th ... 02?sk=info
Github ---> https://github.com/pymblesoftware
There is an IBM ThinkPad PowerPC Series 850 on Ebay right now.

I'm not the owner.......good luck..
Time left: 8h 3m 33s (Dec 30, 201223:20:19 PST)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-ThinkPad-PowerPC-Power-Series-850-/290834960768?pt=US_Vintage_Computers_Mainframes&hash=item43b71d5180
:Onyx2: :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane2: :O2+: :O2: :1600SW: :O2: :Indigo2IMP:
Image Image Image Image Image Image
vwarez wrote: There is an IBM ThinkPad PowerPC Series 850 on Ebay right now.

I'm not the owner.......good luck..
Time left: 8h 3m 33s (Dec 30, 201223:20:19 PST)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-ThinkPad-PowerPC-Power-Series-850-/290834960768?pt=US_Vintage_Computers_Mainframes&hash=item43b71d5180

I keep feeling like I'm the last person on earth to have one that's both complete AND pretty minty inside and out. They always show up with one of the two missing.
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
More than I was willing to pay for an untested unit with no media or power supply.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
vwarez wrote: But what is this one? The elusive and the prototype Model 800…. :shock:
wtftpppc.jpg
AINT NO EIGHT HUNDRET

So gravedigging, since I spotted this. That is not the 800. My 800 says "Power Series 800" on the front, but otherwise looks almost the same as an 850. And, according to some IBM internal stuff I was leaked, that's not a coincidence; the "800" was the original incarnation of the 850, called Woodfield, and then IBM decided to bump the clock speed and make some other minor changes to create the GA-released 850, which was Woodfield Prime. In fact, IBM never called it an 800 in any documentation, just a Type 6020.

Here are some pics of another 800, courtesy of the OS/2 Museum. My 800 is the same, except it has "TP850" stickers on it (now you know why), and it has the camera. http://www.os2museum.com/wp/ibm-power-series-exotica/

I really have no idea what model that is. I didn't think any of them had a built in floppy drive.
smit happens.

probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
There was a type 7007 model N40 manufactured for IBM by Tadpole, with a 50 MHz 601 in it. I think the pictured unit is this model.
:OnyxR: :IRIS3130: :IRIS2400: :Onyx: :ChallengeL: :4D220VGX: :Indigo: :Octane: :Cube: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy:
That seems likely. Always wondered how the N40 was related to the Acer Hillcrest.
smit happens.

Probably not very. This is the most information on the Hillcrest I was able to find, which strongly suggests the Acer was built around the 7011-220 logic board, which uses an RSC processor (apparently a reduced-capability, single-chip implementation of POWER1) at 33 MHz. The article mentions only the US BLM as committed customer (to implement an automated cadaster system).

http://www.channelpartner.de/a/tadpole- ... -2,1129506