HP/DEC/Compaq

What HP/DEC/Compaq do we have. - Page 2

I have a DEC Personal Workstation 500au running OpenVMS 8.3 and a HP zx6000 (dual Itanium2) that's currently sitting idle wing to being very power hungry and hot running.
HP visualize C160
HP 700 RX
Both with appropriate keyboard, monitor etc.. in working condition with HPUX10.20.

HP C8000, I paid +/- 150 €, but still looking for HPUX11.11

Mark
vaxstation 3000 x 2
decstation 5000
ds10l
alphastation 200 4/233
multia x 2

HP 700/60

HP J-6000 2x552MHz, 8gb RAM, 2x36gb
HP C3000 400MHz, 512mb RAM, 36gb
HP C360 367MHz, 1gb RAM, 9gb

I also have Digital 433 and a multia. Will post when done with their reinstalls.

Image Image
Thanks to a colleague, who was getting rid of them, I am the proud owner of a C360 and soon will become an owner of AS1200 (most probably).

So that makes:
Envizex a Series (24 MB RAM),
B132L (FXE, 1GB RAM, 9 GB HDD, HP/UX 11.00),
C360 (FX4, possibly 2GB RAM, 16 GB HDD, TBD),
C3600 x2 (one needing LCD/switch assembly, 32 GB HDD, FX10pro/headless, 1GB/512MB RAM, HP/UX 11i),
A180 (bad I/O board).

DECpc AXP/150 (Qvision 1024, 128 MB RAM, 9GB HDD, additional SCSI and LAN board, OpenVMS 7.1-3),
Alphastation 600 5/333 (Powerstorm 4D60, 1 GB RAM, 4,5+9 GB HDD, 3x DEC Tulip, 2x SE SCSI, Tru64 5.1B4+OpenVMS 7.1-3)
Alphaserver 1200 (TBD).

Trying to get the PDP-11/23+ to boot off the RX50 in the below photo.
Attachment:
100_2522.JPG
100_2522.JPG [ 938.52 KiB | Viewed 471 times ]

PDP-11/23+ (with DELQA and SCSI)
Cipher Drive
Cipher Drive
PDP-11/84 (nothing really special in here besides SCSI, but below it...)
Custom Qbus/Unibus expansion backplanes with Unibus framebuffer
RA82 Disk Drive

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
those Cipher tape units are neat, I've always been impressed by half-inch tape machines.

pentium wrote:
Managed to get a rack and am no longer humiliated to show off what I got.
Trying to get the PDP-11/23+ to boot off the RX50 in the below photo.
Attachment:
100_2522.JPG

PDP-11/23+ (with DELQA and SCSI)
Cipher Drive
Cipher Drive
PDP-11/84 (nothing really special in here besides SCSI, but below it...)
Custom Qbus/Unibus expansion backplanes with Unibus framebuffer
RA82 Disk Drive
Currently I have an Alpha PC164 400Mhz 128Mb that was my personal server/firewall for many years. For that it ran NetBSD but I also toyed with OpenVMS and Tru64. It ran everything like a champ except for earlier builds of OpenBSD that would always freeze after a day or so. Later ones didn't seem to do this.

I bought a VAXstation 3100 M38 for $40 on ebay and later sold it for like $120.

Brought home a MicroVAX II one time complete with a QBUS SCSI card. Got bored and eventually scrapped it. Now I realize how big a mistake that was.

Pick up an HP box at a hamfest and didn't realize it ran MPE/IX. Scrapped it too because the guys on the forum were dicks about me not having a license for getting the system/root/whatever password.

Bought a PDP-11/23 not realizing my limits for operating systems. Donated it to a fellow collector.
astouffer wrote:

Brought home a MicroVAX II one time complete with a QBUS SCSI card. Got bored and eventually scrapped it. Now I realize how big a mistake that was.

Pick up an HP box at a hamfest and didn't realize it ran MPE/IX. Scrapped it too because the guys on the forum were dicks about me not having a license for getting the system/root/whatever password.

Bought a PDP-11/23 not realizing my limits for operating systems. Donated it to a fellow collector.

We've all been there. Well some of us have anyway. Can't worry about what you have had before just what you find tomorrow and what you do with it then.

The MPE/iX thing is nothing to worry about. Even if you have a box to run it you'll have an impossible time getting the OS and if you do it probably wont run on your machine. I have never met such paranoid people as those in possession of mpe/ix tapes.

I don't know what sort of smack HP laid down but, they still live in fear. I am pretty sure they had an actual hit squad that would take you out if you so much as stuck a mpe/ix tape in an unauthorized tape drive.
leaknoil wrote:

The MPE/iX thing is nothing to worry about. Even if you have a box to run it you'll have an impossible time getting the OS and if you do it probably wont run on your machine. I have never met such paranoid people as those in possession of mpe/ix tapes.

I don't know what sort of smack HP laid down but, they still live in fear. I am pretty sure they had an actual hit squad that would take you out if you so much as stuck a mpe/ix tape in an unauthorized tape drive.

Never even heard of the OS until that point. Your post did make me :lol:
Apart from that, MPE/iX isn't really the system you would *want* to run at home, I think... I honestly can't think of a single proper use for it :) if someone does, do tell.

Running an international drug smuggling ring from your basement ?
Alver wrote:
Apart from that, MPE/iX isn't really the system you would *want* to run at home, I think... I honestly can't think of a single proper use for it :) if someone does, do tell.

Database stuff. MPE was in the same league as OS/400/ System "i"

Systems available for remote access on request.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O200: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
4000-M300, 4000-M90, 4000-VLC, 3100-m76, 3100-m10/20(e) (few ..they seem to breed), uVAX-II (3).
Alpha ES45, ES40, DS20 *2, DS10
pdp-11/23Plus,11/70, 11/84
DECServer 5400 (non-living).

I recently scored a nicely equipeed HP C8000 for my collection. One dual-core 1.1GHz PA-8900 CPU (w/64MB L2 cache), 16GB RAM (8x2GB DIMMs), 146GB HDD, FireGL T2 graphics. Not a bad "starter system" for an introduction to the world of HP-UX, which I'd never used until about 2 weeks ago.

Of course, it's not quite as "vintage" as the rest of my collection. Maybe that'll be my excuse to go searching for some older HP gear....

With regard to this thread, well, largely this:
Code:
View of Cluster from system ID 1029  node: GUDRUN          17-SEP-2012 23:11:38
+------------------------------------------------------------------+
¦                         SYSTEMS                        ¦ MEMBERS ¦
+--------------------------------------------------------+---------¦
¦  NODE  ¦             HW_TYPE            ¦   SOFTWARE   ¦  STATUS ¦
+--------+--------------------------------+--------------+---------¦
¦ ALBOIN ¦ HP rx2620  (1.40GHz/6.0MB)     ¦ VMS V8.4     ¦ MEMBER  ¦
¦ AUDOIN ¦ HP rx2620  (1.40GHz/6.0MB)     ¦ VMS V8.4     ¦ MEMBER  ¦
¦ ALAHIS ¦ AlphaServer DS15               ¦ VMS V8.4     ¦ MEMBER  ¦
¦ LETHUC ¦ AlphaServer DS10 466 MHz       ¦ VMS V8.4     ¦ MEMBER  ¦
¦ GISULF ¦ AlphaServer DS10 466 MHz       ¦ VMS V8.4     ¦ MEMBER  ¦
¦ GUDRUN ¦ Digital Personal WorkStation   ¦ VMS V8.4     ¦ MEMBER  ¦
¦ ULRIKA ¦ Digital Personal WorkStation   ¦ VMS V8.4     ¦ MEMBER  ¦
+------------------------------------------------------------------+

The HP rx2620s have dual “Montecito” hyperthreading/dual-core SL9PCs in them and 24 Gbytes RAM each, also 10GbE and a bunch of other additions. HPVM works nicely, too.

The HP DS15 is a 1000 MHz EV68CB, with 4 Gbytes RAM, has an original (read: costly) HP/Compaq ATI Radeon 7500, with active cooling (thus no noise, no artifacts and great picture quality) and runs SRM V7.3-2 (2008). Various additions, such as dual-ported GbE “DEGX2” (Broadcom BCM5704 via the fairly well-known PCI ID modification trick). The Compaq DS10s have a (as is mentioned above) 466 MHz EV6, with 2 Gbytes RAM each and various 3.3 and 5 V add-ons, whilst running SRM V7.3-1 (2007). To my pleasant surprise, the DS15 ― thanks to the improved bus and bandwidth, with PCI-X, compared to the DS10 ― also runs fine with a 10GbE adapter, which I installed recently; while the DS10s, not surprisingly, couldn't handle it at all.

The DEC, “Digital” or even “[d|i|g|i|t|a|l]”, Personal Workstation 500au systems have the stock 500 MHz EV56 and I increased the RAM to the theoretical 1½ Gbytes in each of them, although I'm not sure how good the memory will eventually prove to work. They run a version of SRM that doesn't sound too old, but definitely feels so (V7.2-1, 2000). I've heard and read that there are issues involved, so I'll see. It's too bad that pre-EV6 systems, like these, don't support Radeon 7500 cards.

Besides the above, I also have a DEC Multia/UDB VX40B, with 166 MHz LCA4, 256 Mbytes RAM and the AXPpci233 “MT Common Console” X4.5-819 (1996). The 340 Mbyte 2½" (old, non-SCA... obviously) SCSI disk died a while back. Before it died, I ran NetBSD/alpha V5.1.1 and also briefly VMS V7.3 with the DEC employees' initiative “midnight hack” kit. I've since been trying to get a so-called PowerMonster II SCSI<=>CF adapter to work, where the manufacturer (“Stratos Technologies”, via the “Art-Mix” company from Japan) told me to be looking into getting it to work for Alpha systems, so I'll await it.

I used to also have a bunch of maxed out HP rx2600s (only a System Board, SL6XF, memory and various ― mostly spare parts ― still left) and a DEC AlphaServer 1000, but I got rid of those over time. Well, that's about it...

• Offering various remaining (system) parts, many compatible with IRIX and OpenVMS AXP / I64 ;
• Looking for an SGI O3000 IP59 1 GHz MIPS R16000 quad-processor node board (for a Tezro).
@Winilli
Heya. This is not really related to the newer gear, but your Multia should be narrow SE in a 40-pin scsi arrangement much like the tadpole sparcbook3's and some early 68k mac laptops (520?). Anyway. I have a couple of narrow SE stratos cards, the Aztec Monster. This:

http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=18378

Really not sure why it says "UltraSCSI-3" ..given the wire's just a standard 50-pin job. Was highly suspicious of this when I first spotted it.

Works Ok in the Amiga with a bit of fiddling for transfers with more modern 4/8gb cards. The second one is in the VS4000-m90A, technically it's in a BA350 on the side as there's no internal disks in the machine. It "just works" with a 2gb CF flash card I had laying about. Very snappy for file reading. Writing feels like a few meg/sec. Planning to see if the pdp-11/70 likes it with the 128mb cards hopefully this weekend if I can.

Al.

[Y]our Multia should be narrow SE in a 40-pin scsi arrangement much like the tadpole sparcbook3's and some early 68k mac laptops (520?).

That's correct.

Quote:
Anyway. I have a couple of narrow SE stratos cards, the Aztec Monster. This:

http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=18378

Can you confirm that this one does actually work in a Multia/UDB? (If so, I'll notify Stratos Technologies/Art-Mix about it.)

• Offering various remaining (system) parts, many compatible with IRIX and OpenVMS AXP / I64 ;
• Looking for an SGI O3000 IP59 1 GHz MIPS R16000 quad-processor node board (for a Tezro).