Sun

New Sun

I'm not sure I ever thought I would be able to make this happen.

Attachment:
File comment: Sun 100U, 150U, etc.
100u-med.jpeg
100u-med.jpeg [ 102.07 KiB | Viewed 326 times ]

Celebrate with me.

Currently in commercial service: Image :Octane2: :Onyx2: (2x) :0300:
In the museum: almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Oh, wow, that's some early sun gear right there! Tell us more!

Congratulations.

They came from the estate of a former Sun employee in Atlanta. The 100U is complete and will probably run. I am not in so much of a hurry to switch things on that I won't do a thorough checkout first. The 150U is currently an empty chassis, but all the parts are accounted for and so there's every indication it can be returned to working condition as well. I think the 8" SMD drives and 4-track QIC11 are the biggest unknowns at this point.

Did that come in the shipment with your LispM?

Just out of curiosity, is it an upgraded Sun-1, a Sun-2, or a prototype in-between model? The 100U was the Multibus -010 CPU board, right?

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O200: :ChallengeL:
No, the 3650 was totally separate.

I'm not sure what the deal is with the "U". Conventional wisdom seems to have it that the "U" is a sort of post hoc designator for a 100 or 150 that had been upgraded with a Sun-2 (68010) CPU at some point during its life. However, both of mine are clearly designated "U" on the model tag, without any indication this was added later. They're proper Sun-1 models (with Sun-2 processors); not prototypes. The distinguishing characteristic is the bwone framebuffer, which---unlike the Sun-2's bwtwo---lacks the Sun-2 serial keyboard and mouse interfaces, and does not attach to the P2 bus (no DVMA).

The 150U has the cgone color framebuffer and skyFFP, even.

-Mike
Now we're talking quailty ! That thing is cool, kjaer. Nice find !
If you post enough photos, you might be able to appease the rabid collectors and wannabees that will otherwise be drawn into a torch wielding mob surrounding your home... ;)

smj wrote:
If you post enough photos, you might be able to appease the rabid collectors and wannabees that will otherwise be drawn into a torch wielding mob surrounding your home... ;)

That would only be people who don't know what he does with the stuff. He's probably second only to Al Kossow in ancient computer help sainthood.

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O200: :ChallengeL:
That looks great and very clean indeed! (More pictures would be greatly appreciated.) The Sun mice haven't changed much over the years, that mouse looks almost identical to the one that I use with my SPARCstation 5 (is it one of those early optical ones like mine?)

That looks great and very clean indeed! (More pictures would be greatly appreciated.) The Sun mice haven't changed much over the years, that mouse looks almost identical to the one that I use with my SPARCstation 5 (is it one of those early optical ones like mine?)

More pictures will come eventually. I have a lot of pictures of a lot of equipment I owe a lot of people.

The mouse is optical, but actually bears little more than an outward resemblance to the newer mice. The Sun-1 mouse actually attaches to the same 16-bit parallel port as the keyboard. It didn't become a serial mouse (and thus like all the later mice) until the Sun-2. The pad is also different, though I'm not sure yet if the differences are meaningful.

Poor choice of metaphor - the idea was that they'd be clamoring for access/information, not trying to punish him. Thus the logical consistency with posting photos to preven... ah, nevermind. If you have to explain it, you shot wide.

What a find! Would love to see this in action, if possible ^^ Perhaps a wiki page should be created on this.

:Indigo2: SGI Indigo 2 R8K75 TEAL Extreme 256MB,
:Indigo2IMP: SGI Indigo 2 R10K 195 Solid Impact 256MB, MAX Impact Pending
Apple G5 Quad, NV Quadro 4500 + 7800GT, 12GB RAM
Sun Blade 1000 Dual 900 XVR 1000