SGI: Development

my first port: gXipmsg - Page 3

jirka wrote: That's nice, thanks! I will try to find a Windows box for testing...

Thanks too jirka!! looking forward to hear your comments and suggestions ;)
tomorrow i will continue with folder downloading, coz in Windows, you can drag folders and send it :)
keep in touch, ciao!
:Octane: (Sakura) :O2: (Sasuke) :1600SW: (Naruto) ... lil Jesse! (O2 laptop)
“Imagination is more important than knowledge.“ – A. Einstein
I can't compile it in IRIX 6.5.30, I'd guess that my Motif headers are too old, because XmCHARSET_TEXT isn't defined anywhere in /usr/include or its subdirectories, including Xm. Which packages from what CD do I have to install to compile gXipmsg?

It appears I get the same compilation error even though it appears I'm using the 2.1 build environment.

Code: Select all

$ ls -ld /usr/include/Xm
lrwxr-xr-x    1 root     sys           23 Sep 17 16:18 /usr/include/Xm -> ../Motif-2.1/include/Xm

What am I missing?
oh! based from this site: http://hal.chem.uwm.edu/WhatsNew/install/cd.products.html#2of3

overlay 2:
motif_dev_6530m: IRIX IM Development Software, 6.5 (based on OSF/Motif 1.2.4)
motif_eoe_6530m: IRIX IM Execution Software (Motif 1.2 and 2.1 Combined) for 6.5.30

overlay 3:
motif21_dev: IRIX IM 2.1 Development Software, 6.5.30 (based on OSF/Motif 2.1.32)
motif_books: OSF Motif developer books, 1.2.3

hope this helps and hope you can try my app too :)
overlay 3:
motif21_dev: IRIX IM 2.1 Development Software, 6.5.30 (based on OSF/Motif 2.1.32)
motif_books: OSF Motif developer books, 1.2.3

Thank you. I was indeed missing the Motif 2.1 software. Not sure how I missed that in the overlay but it compiled w/o issue.
Okay le. Using the Octane binary I can send files from Irix to Windows. In the other direction I see the file name but clicking on the button only depresses the button (and me.) No other discernible action.

Using the O2 binary, same thing. I can see the file name in the attachments button but can't do anything beyond pushing it.

Messaging works predictably both ways now tho. It was a little flaky coming from the Windows side before.

Using the dropbox on the Irix 'send' window would be hot. Who cares about the Windows users, let them hunt through file listings :P

Here's what the main window looks like when you put the grafix in /etc where it belongs ...

gX.jpg
gX.jpg (5.42 KiB) Viewed 642 times

Could I make a suggestion ? How about not using the main window frame, and making the graphic the same size as minimized applications ? Or better yet, putting the title at the bottom of a window that's the same size as minimized apps. Then it would fit in better with the rest of the desktop. Something like :
minimized_icon.jpg
minimized_icon.jpg (8.96 KiB) Viewed 642 times

One other thing :) What ports are you using ? In theory, if you open a hole in the firewall this would transmit across the internet as well ? Nekochanners could message each other :shock: (Already tried to get the Assist to put it on her phone. She said, "No way ! That costs money !" $400 shoes is okay but three jiao for messages is too expensive.)

edit: Hmm. Easier to add a new one than delete the old one. This is what I had in mind .. Should work the same way but look like a minimized application ?
main_window.jpg
main_window.jpg (14.71 KiB) Viewed 640 times

--
kiss the job creators' boots of shiny shiny leather ...
sgtprobe wrote: Hello again Geo

hey! ill just reply now before i hit the sack hehe cold weather make me sleepy easily

sgtprobe wrote: Yeah, I have played with Lego a lot when I was a child, I loved those "Technics-Lego" kits. Wouldn't mind "playing" with them now either.

waah yeah i remember those too, that type was for my elder brother hehe i only prefer those astronauts and space :) that why my dream was to become an astronaut! hehe but till now its just dream, na ja :)
love to buy mindstorm! but im afraid got no time coz a bit busy these days, esp about BLE geeez anyway will get through this ;)

sgtprobe wrote: Ah, sorry, didn't answer that about the 3D printer. Nope, no 3D printer yet. But isn't those very expensive?
hehe its ok hmm yes but i think there were nice DIY that were affordable? even here something like 3000rmb and already good quality ;) but its just good if have time to play with it hehe

sgtprobe wrote: I was't awake when you saw me online last time, but my computer was rendering and I had accidently left my webbrowser up, but went to bed way to late that night too. I should really try not to be up so late, so tired in the morning. And I think I looked like a panda the other day too

oh! i see hehe yeah i think these days we need enough rest esp the foods these days getting more preservatives? hahaha panda eyes.. my ma called me a vampire before coz of this hehe

sgtprobe wrote: I'm happy with your tool as it is right now, but I guess everything can be better if you find the time to put down even more work in it. It's really handy and working perfectly, no hangs or anything yet. I moved over some music files from my PC to my Octane earlier today, and that was a few GB of data. Worked nicely.

thanks!! ok2 im already on it and will soon release it here ;) oh this is good news then hehe ok2 will back to work for a better app, got many suggestions from hamei hehe will do that too ;)

hamei wrote: Okay le. Using the Octane binary I can send files from Irix to Windows. In the other direction I see the file name but clicking on the button only depresses the button (and me.) No other discernible action.

hi ham! ok2 hehe yes, when you press the button the button will disappear right? then it means the downloading was done and it was placed in /etc/gXipmsg/Downloads :) sorry about this coz i just want to show something fast, but my plan is to open a widget where you can choose the location where to save, this will be on the next release ;)

hamei wrote: Using the O2 binary, same thing. I can see the file name in the attachments button but can't do anything beyond pushing it.

hehe as said above, when click the button, it will disappear once dl is done, when larger file, it will show the bytes downloaded until its done ;)

hamei wrote: Messaging works predictably both ways now tho. It was a little flaky coming from the Windows side before.

hehe sorry about that, it was some bugs already fixed ;)

hamei wrote: Using the dropbox on the Irix 'send' window would be hot. Who cares about the Windows users, let them hunt through file listings

hehe thats also one thing im looking forward on the coming release, but im afraid it will only possible if the motif is the wm also, for bsd and linux which uses open motif, im not sure hmm but lets see, drag n drop will be really cool ;)

hamei wrote: Here's what the main window looks like when you put the grafix in /etc where it belongs ...

bingo!! you got it! hehe

hamei wrote: Could I make a suggestion ? How about not using the main window frame, and making the graphic the same size as minimized applications ? Or better yet, putting the title at the bottom of a window that's the same size as minimized apps. Then it would fit in better with the rest of the desktop. Something like :

of course!! hehe actually that was my first plan but if so, how can we move the app around the desktop? still can grab?

hamei wrote: One other thing What ports are you using ? In theory, if you open a hole in the firewall this would transmit across the internet as well ? Nekochanners could message each other (Already tried to get the Assist to put it on her phone. She said, "No way ! That costs money !" $400 shoes is okay but three jiao for messages is too expensive.)

ah for UDP i use 2425 for messages. for TCP i also use 2425 first then once connected then it will choose another port during file transfere. but im not sure about the hole? but about the idea nekochanners message each other, this was suggested by kuba but hi suggest to use something like virtual network where we can setup and meet each other? not sure if i got it right hehe or can i modify my app to support something like what you said without any need of a special server?
hahaha my God! 400usd for shoe? more expensive than my Air Jordans? geeez hehe

hamei wrote: Hmm. Easier to add a new one than delete the old one. This is what I had in mind .. Should work the same way but look like a minimized application ?

ok will try this soon ham, thanks for the suggestion, will try if still can grab the app, if not, is it ok i put the app always at the lower right? or movable is still better?

ok will sleep now and hear you all tomorrow :) really thanks for using and the suggestions, lets do this!!
geo wrote: ... yes, when you press the button the button will disappear right? then it means the downloading was done and it was placed in /etc/gXipmsg/Downloads :)

Ah. Okay, I will check there. Probably have to make it user-writable as well ... maybe a link would be better.

... im afraid it will only possible if the motif is the wm also, for bsd and linux which uses open motif,

Let them eat cake. I'm sick of people telling me to "just intall gnome !" Let them just install Motif for a change :P

geo wrote: actually that was my first plan but if so, how can we move the app around the desktop? still can grab?

The crude way would be to use alt-f7. Stage II would be to do something similar to the minimized icons - if you notice, they have a title bar across the bottom. You can drag them around by that title bar or by the main graphic. The title bar also maximizes the application but that wouldn't be necessary for you ... unless you wanted to create a main window where a user could do configuration by clicking the title bar, or open a send window by clicking the graphic. Or something like that ...

about the idea nekochanners message each other, this was suggested by kuba but hi suggest to use something like virtual network where we can setup and meet each other?

We already have irc but unless you are a fan of slashdot it's not very pleasant. Direct connection might be fun.

geo wrote: hahaha my God! 400usd for shoe?

Frye's boots, actually. "Hand tooled" ... in Mexico, by peasants. Definitely worth $375. Have to pay all the Nordstrom corporate management for the scary risks they take with their own personal money.

more expensive than my Air Jordans? geeez hehe

At least they aren't tennis shoes made in Guangdong for twenty bucks (actual cost $17.50, not counting how much they cheat Customs - I have a friend works for a major shoe company in south China)... Instead they are leather, made in Mexico for fifty bucks. "American labor costs too much !" People are so stupid.

geo wrote: will try if still can grab the app, if not, is it ok i put the app always at the lower right? or movable is still better?

You should ask canavan, who actually knows something about this stuff, but alt-f7 should always move the window.

Edit : okay, a little more essperience here : the Irix side works fine. But on the Windows side, if I hit "reply" it quotes the text and sends the message. If the Assist hits reply and sends, the quoted text goes but the reply text does not. Strange, eh ? Assistants are strange and talented bug-finders.

I am not sure I should ask about this but on Windows, the app bongs a bell when a message is received. It's almost as annoying as the QQ knock noise :) Do we want this ?

Is there any way to add users manually ? If one were to try going through the router to the Outside World, for instance ?

Seems to me I had intra-office messaging working before between Irix and Windows (forget how) but the ability to send files quickly and easily right to the desktop is nice. Thanks, geo.
hi hamei! sorry i didnt notice you last post here..

hamei wrote: okay, a little more essperience here : the Irix side works fine. But on the Windows side, if I hit "reply" it quotes the text and sends the message. If the Assist hits reply and sends, the quoted text goes but the reply text does not. Strange, eh ? Assistants are strange and talented bug-finders.
hmm thats indeed strange.. what version did she install again? i use v3.41 but i didn't encounter such issue.. maybe we can report this bug to the maker ;) hahaha indeed!! how i wish we can use our assistant as regression testers hehehe

hamei wrote: I am not sure I should ask about this but on Windows, the app bongs a bell when a message is received. It's almost as annoying as the QQ knock noise Do we want this ?
yup! indeed annoying hehe but i can put this option if you want hehe actually we use this weapon to annoy someone.. we send empty messages just to ring the bell hehe

hamei wrote: Is there any way to add users manually ? If one were to try going through the router to the Outside World, for instance ?
hmm im not sure for windows version.. you mean someone form outside you add him on the list? i think we have such case here.. but it was not manually, it was through the broadcast thing..

hamei wrote: Seems to me I had intra-office messaging working before between Irix and Windows (forget how) but the ability to send files quickly and easily right to the desktop is nice. Thanks, geo.
hehe thanks too for trying this ;)

Now here it comes, latest version ;) The updates:
* Better implementation for send/recieve files (performance is also improved)
* Download folder is removed, you can specify where to save the recieved file
* Better desktop appearance thanks to hamei ;)

Binaries: Please replace the older in /etc/gXipmsg with these. Then remove Download folder too, thanks.
Octane gXipmsg .zip
(35.79 KiB) Downloaded 33 times

O2 gXipmsg.zip
(37.31 KiB) Downloaded 33 times

Screenshots:

Next steps are:
* Drag and drop
* For IRIX build, make the UI as more IRIX friendly as much as possible
* Make a neko tar for IRIX only
* Send/receive folder

If only the people who develop the IPMsg for iOS and Android add the file transfere feature.. imagine transfering pictures from your iPad to your UNIX system through wifi ;) cheers everyone!!
Laughed so hard I wet my pants ...

http://www.stokely.com/lighter.side/evol.pgm.html

(This belongs elsewhere but maybe people who hang here would appreciate it more)

hehehe the managers are really the funniest hehehe

sort of an inhouse icq so to say :P
r-a-c.de
foetz wrote: ha what a neat tool. gonna try that out for sure.
sort of an inhouse icq so to say :P
thanks foetz!! just now i merge develop to master branch just to make sure both are latest.. beed busy laletly so this is a bit on hold, but current build is already stable and file trasnfere are all fine.. only folder transfere still not yet, and the drag-n-drop still on queue..

hehe yup! something like that ;) only is this is using motif and using raw tcpip protocol, so no need to install anything.. a standard UNIX with motif already can run this app ;)

please feel free to comment for any future feature you like ;)
geo wrote: this is using motif and using raw tcpip protocol, so no need to install anything.. a standard UNIX with motif already can run this app ;)

exactly that's why i like it and things like this. no bloated blinking toy but just exactly what's needed. ideal :)

please feel free to comment for any future feature you like ;)

oh you can count on that :P
r-a-c.de