SGI: Development

web development favorites

SGI sold comprehensive software packages for web development and content management for IRIX.
There are SiteMgr, Cosmo, Web Magic, etc. Rememeber the WebFORCE editions of the Indy, Indigo.

Fellow web programmers here at Nekochan, what content management systems/frameworks and editors are you using? Commercial or Open Source applications? Any gemms hidden deeply in the Open Source jungle? What about the "classic" Open Source CMS woes. E.g. missing documentation, dispensable CMS jargon, performance and so on.
SGI now offers SiteManager and Cosmo for free download with free licenses (when applicable). Other than that, I don't know of any commercial creation or management systems (other than Netscape Composer). Other than that, I've seen Bluefish, which looks like it might be decent when version 1 comes out (the pre-1.0 I last tested was a bit unstable), and OpenOffice which saves into HTML but doesn't have a complete HTML editor set of features.
Well, call me stupid, but the only app I ever used designing a website (other than the graphics, naturally) was vim. Create a nice CSS template and the rest works like a charm... who needs a gui anyway? ;)

I recently found out there is also support for 'calltabs' which are basically like some newer editors that show a tooltip of the function/code you are currently highlighting to check the syntax but thankfully its very unintrusive (press a button combo and it pops up).
SAQ post: SGI now offers SiteManager and Cosmo for free download with free licenses (when applicable).

What is the way to get them?
michelu_fr wrote:
SAQ post: SGI now offers SiteManager and Cosmo for free download with free licenses (when applicable).

What is the way to get them?

http://www.sgi.com/products/evaluation/
Nedit and Cosmo on the Octane, Metapad and Dreamweaver on the peecee...
VenomousPinecone wrote:

I use nedit on SGI boxen too. Also when working on some older macs in the office that are running OSX 10. As said before a fine editor that supports syntax highlighting, macros. And ofcourse Macromedia, now Adobe Dreamweaver and Photoshop on Win/Mac PeeCees. In their times the Webforce Indigos and O2s were top notch workstations for web production (reliable editors, pixel/vector/high end 3d graphic tools, cosmo/vrml stuff, reliable OS). Another invaluable advantage of IRIX in this case: You won't meet Frontpage out there ;)
The last web sites I worked on used PHP (oscommerce or typo3). Opinions about Typo3? There are loads of other content managent systems.

Mare wrote:
I recently found out there is also support for calltabs'

Calltips? Thanks for the hint. I'll try the newer nedit version 5.4/5.5. Some nedit readme file says that calltips have been introduced with nedit 5.4. C, Perl, PHP Calltips are availabe from the nedit mirros. Nice :)
BTW. What was the latest version of nedit shipped with IRIX? There is a OSF/Motif build version 5.3 (June 2002).
cicero wrote:
VenomousPinecone wrote:

Quote:
The last web sites I worked on used PHP (oscommerce or typo3). Opinions about Typo3? There are loads of other content managent systems.

just to pull this thread from oblivion ... Joomla! 1.5 worked fine for me on a IRIX 6.5.22 O2 box,
after I managed to get all the prerequisites (all nekoware, of course) in the right place.
neko_apache2, neko_mysql5, neko_php5...

...not that I had any in-depth knowledge of those. I just wanted to comfortably manage content :-)
and got pretty bored with hacking HTML all by myself.
Too bad that machine went dysfunctional recently. I'm trying to revive it but lack spare parts.

Now I wonder if I could put Typo3 on some IRIX box as well. Has anyone done so? Just curious.

If you're Python oriented, you could try Zope and/or Plone - they're both through-the-web editing systems (Plone basically drops a ready-made CMS on top of the Zope application server). I maintain well over 100 Zope apps at work and they're not bad - some nice advanced features such as a neat client/server architecture that seperates your app server from the data/code it serves (and thus scales horizontally quite well), rollback of edits, overall - quite a decent architecture.

There's also Wordpress and MoveableType, if you want something more 'bloggy'. Though I can't stand Wordpress - it's really fragile.

There's also Wordpress and MoveableType, if you want something more 'bloggy'. Though I can't stand Wordpress - it's really fragile.

Oy. I know that there are a lot of Wordpress fans, and you can do good things with it, but whenever I end up working with it, it feels like another, hacked together open source package that can't decide whether it wants to be "kewl" or whether it wants to be easy to use. I definitely prefer MovableType or hosted TypePad, but of course, those aren't free. Much more polished, however.

I still use NEdit as my preferred editor just about everywhere except on the Mac, where I like BBEdit or BBedit's surprisingly capable little brother, the free TextWrangler.

I am taking a look at Joomla and Drupal at the moment for some content management projects. I have used Zope on some past projects. It was quite capable and the performance was pretty good, but non-technical content creators generally found it to be intimidating.

-jh
Well, here we go:

CMS: Joomla.
Code Editors: BlueFish, gEdit, NEdit.
WYSIWYG Editors: KompoZer.

...my actual commercial website is built around Joomla... I'm happy with it? ...ehrrr... it solved a few problems just to create another bunch of problems. People visits the well integrated eShop (VirtueMart), and is majorly happy with the overall workflow from this site... not too mention the Flash crap...

...my previous commercial website was well built by using CSS/HTML and not so well integrated with a couple PHP based modules (OpenCart + Plug-Ins)... it worked nicely, was nice to mantain, and pretty easy to backup... but people never enjoyed the switch between the main website and the eShop... for some reason many people hated OpenCart.

So, what is best? I don't know... I guess I'm sitting in middle of some acceptable solution, but it is far from perfect. The thing I hate from Joomla is the way in which the menues are rendered (trees, levels, and all the rest) ...you can spend your whole life configuring menues, and you'll never get what you want as you could easily manage do very with CSS just copy/pasting some chunks of code! :)

I still use NEdit as my preferred editor just about everywhere except on the Mac, where I like BBEdit or BBedit's surprisingly capable little brother, the free TextWrangler.

hehe, exactly the same here :D

By the way: am I the only one that thinks that the Wordpress logo looks dangerously close to the Volkswagen one?

Don't worry. You are not alone.
josehill wrote:
Don't worry. You are not alone.

Heheh!

Attachment:
wordpress-volkswagen.jpg
wordpress-volkswagen.jpg [ 15.37 KiB | Viewed 83 times ]

...anyway I think Wordpress looks like one of the nicer platforms for web blogging. I thought to use it before to choose Joomla, but I ended with Joomla just because VirtueMart. The availability of some good shopping cart is a key factor when you want to implement a commercial site. The second key factor is a good multilingual support... and I think here is where Joomla is actually a bit behind from the rest... I'm using M17n because JoomFish has some kind of extortive tech support... but anyway M17n actually lacks many things to be considered an integral solution... :?

I would like to know if anyone here managed to get a good multilingual either for Joomla or Wordpress, including shopping cart, forums, and all the rest. It is not as if I were ready to migrate my site again, but is always interesting to know alternative solutions! ;)

[EDIT: added the pict]

and for CMS SilverStripe: http://silverstripe.org/

josehill wrote:

I also prefer NEdit on X11. Another great editor on the Mac side is Smultron (forked/renamed to Fraise due to the original developer moving on). Worth taking a look if you haven't already done so.

All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote:
I also prefer NEdit on X11. Another great editor on the Mac side is Smultron (forked/renamed to Fraise due to the original developer moving on). Worth taking a look if you haven't already done so.

I'll have to check it out. I doubt I'll move from the BareBones tools, but I definitely like the idea of good, open source editors.

Before I became set in my ways, I would try every new text editor I could lay my hands on. I don't even want to guess how many editors on the old Info-Mac archive I tried...