SGI: hinv

Enron Octane 2 | 2x600mhz | 1.5GB | V12 | 70GB & 35GB - Page 1

I picked this Octane 2 up off ebay a couple years ago. The seller was asking $800 and I "offered" $400 thinking he wouldn't go for it - he did. The seller claimed to have worked for Enron although not with the computer. He said a friend worked in the lab where it was used for molecular modeling. It shipped with a spaceball which I never used but supposedly was used in the Enron lab. I can't confirm anything he said but the hardware did have Enron id tags and appears to be legit. Originally it came with a dual 300mhz configuration. I swapped it out for the dual 600's a month ago - it made a big difference in terms of speed. You can see in some of the pics that UPS did their usual shipping handling with these. The monitors took a beating during shipping and I literally poured them out of their boxes. They could of been packed a bit better but UPS beat the s**t out of the boxes, I'm guessing cause they were heavy. I filed a claim and they sent a stooge out to look and take pics. They then denied the claim. I tried to put them back together as best I could. I still have a box of small pieces I'm saving for a cold, snowy day this winter. Thanks for looking!

Code: Select all

PM20600MHZ Board: barcode MZJ219     part 030-1778-001 rev  C
IP30 Board: barcode MKV518     part 030-1467-001 rev  D
PWR.SPPLY.ER Board: barcode AAE2370269 part 060-0035-003 rev  A
FP1 Board: barcode LPE477     part 030-0891-003 rev  H
ODY128VERSIONB Board: barcode MZJ167     part 030-1611-003 rev  A
2 600 MHZ IP30 Processors
Heart ASIC: Revision F
CPU: MIPS R14000 Processor Chip Revision: 2.4
FPU: MIPS R14010 Floating Point Chip Revision: 0.0
Main memory size: 1536 Mbytes
Xbow ASIC: Revision 1.4
Instruction cache size: 32 Kbytes
Data cache size: 32 Kbytes
Secondary unified instruction/data cache size: 2 Mbytes
Integral SCSI controller 0: Version QL1040B (rev. 2), single ended
Disk drive: unit 1 on SCSI controller 0 (unit 1)
Disk drive: unit 2 on SCSI controller 0 (unit 2)
Integral SCSI controller 1: Version QL1040B (rev. 2), single ended
IOC3/IOC4 serial port: tty1
IOC3/IOC4 serial port: tty2
IOC3 parallel port: plp1
Graphics board: V12
Integral Fast Ethernet: ef0, version 1, pci 2
Iris Audio Processor: version RAD revision 12.0, number 1
PCI Adapter ID (vendor 0x10a9, device 0x0003) PCI slot 2
PCI Adapter ID (vendor 0x1077, device 0x1020) PCI slot 0
PCI Adapter ID (vendor 0x1077, device 0x1020) PCI slot 1
PCI Adapter ID (vendor 0x10a9, device 0x0005) PCI slot 3
Dual Channel Display

Code: Select all

Graphics board 0 is "ODYSSEY" graphics.
Managed (":0.0") 2560x1024
BUZZ version B.1
PB&J version 1
128MB memory
Banks: 4, CAS latency: 3
Monitor 0 type: Unknown
Dual Channel Display option
Monitor 1 type: NEC 26048       Monitor 2 type: NEC 26048
Channel 0:
Origin = (0,0)
Video Output: 1280 pixels, 1024 lines, 60.00Hz (2@1280x1024_60)
Channel 1:
Origin = (1280,0)
Video Output: 1280 pixels, 1024 lines, 60.00Hz (2@1280x1024_60)

Yes, I do need to clean up the cables under the desk. This winter the whole setup's going to get cleaned up with all the wires cleanly run.
:Octane2: Octane 2, Dual 600MHz R14k's, 2GB, v12
:O2000: Origin 2200, Dual 300mhz, 2GB
Mac Pro dual quad Xeon 16GB 1TB
HP dual core 4GB 500GB
Dell Workstation Dual quad Xeon 8GB 500GB RAID
Imac | HP laptop | Compaq | Commodore 64 floppy | TI 99 38k Peripheral Expansion Box
corporate gear usually is a good deal. most have been taken good care of and sometimes there's stuff left on the disk(s)
r-a-c.de
How neat and tidy is your setup.. :shock: :mrgreen: NICE!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :Octane2: :O2: :Indy: loft => :Indigo: :540: :Octane: :Octane: :Indy:
foetz wrote: sometimes there's stuff left on the disk(s)

Here in italy we have a law that says YOU MUST wipe everything (especially if confidential, or under copyright) in the hard drive, or simply destroy the hard drive throwing it into a smasher machine.

There is, of course, a business about those smasher machines, because they are expensive and you are obliged to have a piece of paper in where a company is declaring your confidential data (or your customers confidential data) is gone destroyed.

e.g. when my university decided to put the Indy Lab (we didn't have other SGI machines, just Indys) out of her inventory, they called a recycle company and they signed a paper assuring the university that everything related to the digital information would be smashed, and so they did. I have seen them through my window, because I was working there like "assistant" in another computer lab (Matlab, numerical applications).

So, Irix 6.5.14, and everything installed there and everything in the Indy's Lab went smashed, including a copy a working copy of Pro/E with license. Damn!

I was only able to save just one Xterm by Tektronix (they had 20 units, 19 of them gone destroyed), but without the PSU and without any software. Ironically I found the PSU and an original CD with TekXpress(1) on an exchange-fair located in germany.

And an one year later, I found the Pro/E-R17 original CD, of course without a license, while, AH-HA, my university had an earlier version.

(1) it's specific to Xterm by Tektronix, basically it's an X11 client + apps like telenet, it runs on the Xterm, and it's MIPS3_BE/COFF, it's very hard to be found. I was lucky, even if … I payed 50 euro for both PSU & CD :lol:

uunix wrote: How neat and tidy is your setup.. :shock: :mrgreen: NICE!

sure, I envy the DCD + 2xLCD env :mrgreen:

Vladio wrote: … worked in the lab where it was used for molecular modeling ...

did you find any interesting apps on the are drive about that ?
Some prowling the streets, looking for sweets from their Candyman , I'm Looking for a new IP30/Octane2
My machine got the Xbow damaged, so I swapped for a second hand Rigol-DG1032Z WaveGen/DDS@30Mhz
IP30 purposes : linux (kernel development), Irix Scientific Apps { Ansys, Catia, Pro/E, FiberSIM, AutoDYNþ }
Other Projects : { Cerberus , Woody Box , 68K-board, SWI_DBG }, discontinued Console hacks { GB , PSX1 }
Wanted Equipments : { U1732C LCR meter by Keysight, alternatives are the welcome }
It only came with one drive and it wasn't the original from Enron. It was reformatted but not 0'ed out so I was able to go through it. It was from Hertz car rental in Las Vegas. Nothing good on it. I was thinking, the original disk might of been confiscated or someone knew that it was best destroyed.
HP dual core 4GB 500GB
Imac | HP laptop | Compaq | Commodore 64 floppy | TI 99 38k Peripheral Expansion Box
Vladio wrote: I was thinking, the original disk might of been confiscated or someone knew that it was best destroyed

Understood, the same happens here, in italy.

p.s.
I have spoken with a dude from Ducati , and he confirmed they have destroyed everything when they switched from SGI/Irix to PC/Windows. Damn, an other good occasion lost, they were using CATIA and a lot of things from Alias-wavefront on their machines.
Some prowling the streets, looking for sweets from their Candyman , I'm Looking for a new IP30/Octane2
My machine got the Xbow damaged, so I swapped for a second hand Rigol-DG1032Z WaveGen/DDS@30Mhz
IP30 purposes : linux (kernel development), Irix Scientific Apps { Ansys, Catia, Pro/E, FiberSIM, AutoDYNþ }
Other Projects : { Cerberus , Woody Box , 68K-board, SWI_DBG }, discontinued Console hacks { GB , PSX1 }
Wanted Equipments : { U1732C LCR meter by Keysight, alternatives are the welcome }
ivelegacy wrote: I have spoken with a dude from Ducati , and he confirmed they have destroyed everything when they switched from SGI/Irix to PC/Windows. Damn, an other good occasion lost, they were using CATIA and a lot of things from Alias-wavefront on their machines.

That's a shame. Kawasaki prob would of paid good money for those files. :lol: They can prob still get them from the Chinese. :lol: :lol:
HP dual core 4GB 500GB

The wires under the counter are really f'n with my ocd! :lol:
HP dual core 4GB 500GB
Vladio wrote:

And that's why I never look under my desk.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :Octane2: :O2: :Indy: loft => :Indigo: :540: :Octane: :Octane: :Indy:
uunix wrote:
Vladio wrote:

And that's why I never look under my desk.

I can't not see that mess! :lol: it jumps right out at me as soon as I walk in. :?
HP dual core 4GB 500GB
An Enron SGI? You'd better check that the power is regulated.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
nice posters of fairchild and steve&steve
Google: Don't Be Evil.
Apple: Don't Be Greedy.
Microsoft: Don't Be Stupid.
guardian452 wrote: nice posters of fairchild and steve&steve

To the left of the Steve's I have a nice pic of Eckert & Mauchly in the computer lab of the University of Pennsylvania.
HP dual core 4GB 500GB
You seem to have the same CD-ROM(Yamaha) as mine but in a different box. Does yours support software inject? (what happens if you enter "inject" in a shell prompt?)
:Octane2: :320:
nongrato wrote: You seem to have the same CD-ROM(Yamaha) as mine but in a different box. Does yours support software inject? (what happens if you enter "inject" in a shell prompt?)

IRIS 1# inject
inject: Software inject not supported. Use hardware inject.
IRIS 2#

I think I still have the original drive from Enron somewhere. I'll look for it tomorrow...I believe "inject" worked with it.
HP dual core 4GB 500GB
Vladio wrote: Software inject not supported.

Same here. That's strange because this cdrom worked fine with my Octane1.
:Octane2: :320:
Vladio wrote: monitor

I like the dual carrier you have, it allows to have two LCDs on the same frame … umm is it a custom frame or a commercial one ? I'd like to pick up one.
hey oh? Swimming pool & Racing bicycle.
ivelegacy wrote: I like the dual carrier you have, it allows to have two LCDs on the same frame … umm is it a custom frame or a commercial one ? I'd like to pick up one.
Based on the shape of the stand, it looks like an Ergotron DS100. Ergotron makes the DS100 in a number of multi-monitor configurations from dual ( vertical or horizontal ) to quad .

I have dual and quad versions , the expanded desktop makes it very easy to keep track when multiple applications are run at the same time. The base is very heavy (to serve as a counterweight), so in spite of the top-heavy appearance of the four-monitor arrangement it's very stable.

They can occasionally be found used on eBay for a reasonable price, but typically the listings are new products at full msrp, or used setups that include the price of monitors.

There's a dual version listed on US eBay with a buy-it-now price of $24 (plus shipping): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ergotron-DS100- ... 1869835475
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
so kind, thank you =)
hey oh? Swimming pool & Racing bicycle.
Recondas is spot on with his info. I've never used one prior to getting this but I do like it. It keeps the monitors at the perfect height. $24 is a steal! (Didn't see the shipping) I noticed a lot of ebay sellers don't ship to Italy...why is that?
:Onyx2R: Onyx2
HP dual core 4GB 500GB