SGI: Computer Graphics

Animation Software that runs on Altix 3700

Is there any commercial or non commercial animation software that runs on the Altix 3700 Itanium2 processors? or is this beast ready for the recycle bin
Houdini was at some point released for Itanium and later Itanium 2 (and, unfortunately, it was pretty much ‘ Windows only’ I fear), but the support was apparently dropped later on. I mean, I haven't seen any IA64 builds in a while...

SESI press releases:

(Pretty specific to certain HP systems, as well).

I'll take it if you don't want it lol. I think those were mainly sold for computational computing (is that even a word) aka data processing, etc. I think there was some Itanium 3D software when they were first out (ZX2000,ZX6000) but died off when those were killed.

I think the Itanium animation frontend / workstation market was limited (thus the quick death of the Prism and most other Itanium-based "workstations"). The Altix was designed as a backend compute system, so in terms of the animation workflow I'm pretty sure RenderMan ran on it.
Most Altix installations are in the HPC world, at research facilities and universities running simulations and other sci datasets, just like the Origins before them - SGI pretty much discarded the Onyx idea of a powerful visualization system for CAD, compositing, and animation work as they became less able to compete.

Oh, and I'd love an Altix :)

I think the Itanium animation frontend / workstation market was limited (thus the quick death of the Prism and most other Itanium-based "workstations"). The Altix was designed as a backend compute system, so in terms of the animation workflow I'm pretty sure RenderMan ran on it.

What's the name of the place in Hawaii that does rendering software ? I thought I saw something from them for Linux on the Itanic. They port to several operating systems, too. Linux, HP-UX, Irix ...
hamei wrote:
What's the name of the place in Hawaii that does rendering software ?
PipelineFX is based in Hawaii - the FAQ for PipeLineFX Qube! mentions Itanium2 licensing:
The PipelineFX FAQ wrote:
How is Qube! licensed?

Qube! is licensed per host on standard servers and desktops with up to 8 CPU cores. Qube! is licensed per CPU sockets on Intel® Itanium® 2-based machines regardless of the number of CPU cores. Each Supervisor, generally one per studio, requires a license and a dedicated host. These licenses are always floating – not locked to any particular node and not locked to any OS – so you can direct work to any machine in the farm, without dedicating a license to that machine.
Though Qube! looks like a render farm management app <rather than animation software>.

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
recondas wrote:
PipelineFX is based in Hawaii - the FAQ for PipeLineFX Qube! mentions Itanium2 licensing:

Found it !: Looks like Hawaii is a hotbed of animation software :)

http://www.dotcsw.com/rdc.html

in light of another discussion, this was interesting, too :

"Mai-Tai for SGI is distributed as n32 mips3 binaries".
i used some cfd apps on the prism a few years back. but i don't think that's exactly what you're looking for