SGI: Computer Graphics

Realsoft 3D Demo for IRIX - Page 2

What I meant was that you can download the scene if you wish to benchmark the old version (26.41) against this new one (26.43).
I noticed an approx. 10% speed increase.

No mention of a PC here...
nvukovlj wrote: No mention of a PC here...

Sorry, I'm just so sick of the benchmark thingy, what with every Intel-owner in the Western Hemisphere using
bogus benchmarks to "prove" their tiddly little piece of crap is "superior to that old SGI garbage ...'"

You're right, benchmarks certainly have their place. It's just that they are so easily misused .... how about the
Iges import feature ? Do they need a little encouragement ? Or some help ? I've got igeses coming out the
wazoo around here ...
hamei wrote: .... how about the
Iges import feature ? Do they need a little encouragement ? Or some help ? I've got igeses coming out the
wazoo around here ...

I'm not sure as to why the Iges import/export plugin isn't available.
It is however, not free on either Windows or Linux, so I guess they would like to know that there is an interest in it before they make it available.

I guess, if this plugin would make you buy the Irix version of Realsoft3D, then my suggestion would be to contact them.
I'm sure that they will consider it, as they are not a big company, and are fairly responsive.

If you look through this thread, there is at least one e-mail address you could use to contact them.
nvukovlj wrote: If you look through this thread, there is at least one e-mail address you could use to contact them.

Before I do that : At the risk of looking stewpid, I downloaded the demo. It appears to be one gigantic shell script ? Any hints on how to run this before I totally destroy the file in 'experiment' mode ?
Two options (as root):

1. sh ./realsoft3d-26.43-beta-irix-mips.sh

2. chmod +x the file. Execute it.

- This will start the installer which is Tk/Tcl based.

The main limitation in the demo is that the rendering resolution is limited (I think to 640x480, but I could be wrong)

Nik.
nvukovlj wrote: Two options (as root):

1. sh ./realsoft3d-26.43-beta-irix-mips.sh.

thanks, worked like a charm. Seemed a little unusual as a distribution but what the heck ...

now ....

Gort 10% realsoft3d
1676:/usr/opt/realsoft/bin/Realsoft3D: rld: Fatal Error: Cannot Successfully map soname 'libr3wid2.so' under any of the filenames /usr/local/lib/libr3wid2.so:/usr/local/thunderbird/components/libr3wid2.so:/usr/lib32/libr3wid2.so:/usr/lib32/internal/libr3wid2.so:/lib32/libr3wid2.so:/opt/lib32/libr3wid2.so:

I'll probably figure out why when I have a little time, but .... if you're involved with the porting, it's always nice when a program installs all its parts on the first go-round. For a demo, what the heck .. if I were paying $300 I'd probably be a little irked at this. I didn't install it to the default location so that may be the problem, but if you're going to give people that choice, the installer should be aware of itself ?
Tried installing to a directory different to the default.

I can't reproduce this problem.

I've contacted you in a PM to follow-up on this anyway...

Nik.
nvukovlj wrote: Tried installing to a directory different to the default.

I can't reproduce this problem.

I've contacted you in a PM to follow-up on this anyway...

Nik.

It may have been a combination of several things I did ... running now. It's well worth downloading and looking at, for anyone who is curious. A few more quirks which I'll pm you about tomorrow morn nvukovlj, if that's okay ....
Could anyone who has an Octane/Octane2 with VPro gfx card and either IRIX 6.5.17 or 6.5.22 and above, and has a few minutes, please download and try the latest Realsoft3D (link to the download is a few messages above) ?

I'm trying to work out if what I am seeing is a bug in Realsoft3D, or is more related to a version of IRIX.

When you start the program, does the main view window look normal, or is it in multiple colours ? Likewise, the leftmost window should be white colour - is it white on your machine ?

What happens on switching to OpenGL - button on the right side that looks like a grey boulder

Nik.
nvukovlj wrote: Could anyone who has an Octane/Octane2 with VPro gfx card and either IRIX 6.5.17 or 6.5.22 and above, and has a few minutes, please download and try the latest Realsoft3D (link to the download is a few messages above) ?

Octane2 V10, 6.5.24... Dodwnloaded and installed, had to put /usr/local/realsoft3d/lib in LD_LIBRARY_PATH to get the "rld: Fatal Error: Cannot Successfully map soname 'libr3wid2.so'" taken care of

nvukovlj wrote: When you start the program, does the main view window look normal, or is it in multiple colours ?

Multiple colors...
nvukovlj wrote: Likewise, the leftmost window should be white colour - is it white on your machine ?

Pure yellow...

nvukovlj wrote: What happens on switching to OpenGL - button on the right side that looks like a grey boulder

The graphics window shows up as it should be, no more patchwork...
unixmuseum wrote: Octane2 V10, 6.5.24... Dodwnloaded and installed, had to put /usr/local/realsoft3d/lib in LD_LIBRARY_PATH to get the "rld: Fatal Error: Cannot Successfully map soname 'libr3wid2.so'" taken care of

Interesting... the LD_LIBRARY_PATH should be set by realsoft3d script...

unixmuseum wrote:
nvukovlj wrote: When you start the program, does the main view window look normal, or is it in multiple colours ?

Multiple colors...
nvukovlj wrote: Likewise, the leftmost window should be white colour - is it white on your machine ?

Pure yellow...

nvukovlj wrote: What happens on switching to OpenGL - button on the right side that looks like a grey boulder

The graphics window shows up as it should be, no more patchwork...

Thanks for this. Pretty much confirms there is a bug in the routines there...

Nik.
I gave realsoft 3d a try, but got this:

x bin/Realsoft3D, 91092 bytes, 178 blocks

gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--format violated
./setup[84]: /usr/local/realsoft3d/resources/Realsoft3D: cannot create: No such file or directory
./setup[86]: /usr/local/realsoft3d/resources/R3RendD: cannot create: No such file or directory
Can't open /usr/local/realsoft3d/realsoft3d
./setup[146]: /usr/local/realsoft3d/resources/Realsoft3D: cannot create: No such file or directory
Cannot access windows: No such file or directory
Cannot access resources/startup.r3d: No such file or directory
while executing
"close $pipe"
invoked from within
"if { [eof $pipe] } {
close $pipe
} else {
after 500 "insert_text $w $pipe"
}"
(procedure "insert_text" line 8)
invoked from within
"insert_text .rightframe.workframe.options.fin.st.text file5"
("after" script)

I think it's something stupid I forgot/haven't got.
:O2: Toika :O2: Myra :O2: Fiona :Octane: Lisa :Octane: Sandra :Indigo2: Danica :Indy: Giana :O200: Lara :O200: :O200: Iona :O2000: Aida
Bluefan wrote: I gave realsoft 3d a try, but got this:

./setup[84]: /usr/local/realsoft3d/resources/Realsoft3D: cannot create: No such file or directory
./setup[86]: /usr/local/realsoft3d/resources/R3RendD: cannot create: No such file or directory
./setup[146]: /usr/local/realsoft3d/resources/Realsoft3D: cannot create: No such file or directory
while executing
"close $pipe"
invoked from within
"if { [eof $pipe] } {
close $pipe
} else {
}"
invoked from within
"insert_text .rightframe.workframe.options.fin.st.text file5"
("after" script)

I think it's something stupid I forgot/haven't got.

mkdir -p /usr/local/realsoft3d/resources/Realsoft3D
after that, it gives me:

./setup[84]: /usr/local/realsoft3d/resources/Realsoft3D: cannot create: Is a directory
Can't open /usr/local/realsoft3d/resources/R3RendD.ad
./setup[146]: /usr/local/realsoft3d/resources/Realsoft3D: cannot create: Is a directory
while executing
"close $pipe"
invoked from within
"if { [eof $pipe] } {
close $pipe
} else {
}"
invoked from within
"insert_text .rightframe.workframe.options.fin.st.text file6"
("after" script)

strange...
:O2: Toika :O2: Myra :O2: Fiona :Octane: Lisa :Octane: Sandra :Indigo2: Danica :Indy: Giana :O200: Lara :O200: :O200: Iona :O2000: Aida
Bluefan wrote: after that, it gives me:

./setup[84]: /usr/local/realsoft3d/resources/Realsoft3D: cannot create: Is a directory
Can't open /usr/local/realsoft3d/resources/R3RendD.ad
./setup[146]: /usr/local/realsoft3d/resources/Realsoft3D: cannot create: Is a directory
while executing
"close $pipe"
invoked from within
"if { [eof $pipe] } {
close $pipe
} else {
}"
invoked from within
"insert_text .rightframe.workframe.options.fin.st.text file6"
("after" script)

strange...

ah okay then just strip the last dir.
Hi,

blender 2.49 rc1 is available for download from http://download.blender.org/release/Ble ... .5.tar.bz2

because tbcpp was unable to build blender with mipspro in time, this build was compiled with gcc.
I guess rc2 will be built with mipspro again.

Known bugs and limitations:
* no ffmpeg
* crashes when loading files saved on 64bit platform (like linux on amd64)

To be able to use python scripts one needs to install python 2.5.x from nekoware and set the PYTHONHOME environment variable to /usr/nekoware (this is optional).

greetings,
sgefant

(edit: updated link)

EDIT: 2.49a is available, go get it here: http://www.blender.org/download/get-blender/
Very cool - I'll try and give it a run later this evening. Thanks much!

All Rights Reserved.
Quote:
./blender -w &
[1] 1525
IRIS 11# Compiled with Python version 2.5.2.
Checking for installed Python... got it!

[1] Bus error ./blender -w (core dumped)

hum hum....... won"t work on my Octane2 dual R14k....

Laurent

Just downed it and unzipped, started instantly on the ol' Fool. . I don't know how to run Blender but made a couple of cubes and cones and such without problem.

The interface is weird but it does look really nice. How about a spaceball-enabled version ?
fzalfa wrote:
Quote:
./blender -w &
[1] 1525
IRIS 11# Compiled with Python version 2.5.2.
Checking for installed Python... got it!

[1] Bus error ./blender -w (core dumped)

hum hum....... won"t work on my Octane2 dual R14k....

Laurent

Same on my Tezro - can't get it to run at all.

All Rights Reserved.