Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks

IRIX 6.3 install on an O2

Hi all,

I'm trying to resurrect an O2 system ... the system got mashed, something to do with an error with an executable in /unix.
Being an SGI newbie I decided to just reinstall the system from the supplied IRIX 6.3 CDs. And people complain linux is hard! I have no backups :evil: , only a useless HD and the original CDs.

The problem(s) are:
-- inst gives me two errors, that look as if they come from a script, about fasttrack and a mail program ( -- libmal from memory)
-- as soon as I restart the machine after an install, it goes straight back into the miniroot

I stumbled around for a bit and managed to perform the following steps:
1) Load fx
. . . . format the HD
. . . . partition the disk as root-only
. . . . write the label to disk
2) Reboot the system
. . . . Stop the system for maintenance
. . . . Select "Install System"
. . . . load the miniroot
. . . . create a 512 block fs on the HD (from the prompt)
3) Watch inst start
. . . . enter "from /CDROM/dist"
. . . . feed the O2 the CDs in this order:
. . . . . . . . IRIX 6.3
. . . . . . . . IRIX 6.3 Applications
. . . . . . . . IRIX 6.3 Recommended/Required Patches
. . . . type "done"
. . . . type "go"
4) Watch inst work away for 30 mins
5) Type "quit" and confirm that I wish to restart
6) The miniroot loads instead of the system, and I start all over again ...
Greetings Maciac,

Go to prom, type "5" to go to command monitor and then type "resetenv"
Reboot and try to start your IRIX.

BTW, polls are crap :P
Thanks for the quick (and accurate) response!

I ran upstairs and did that, and it goes fine. Now why didn't SGI put something about that in their documentation that I read ...
Irix is the hardest install I did. Its crytpic, non intuitive and so easily messed up. I found this doc which helped me enormously:

http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/6.5inst.html

The only gotch for me was spending nearly two hours figuring out my cdrom wasn't bootable.
maciac wrote: I ran upstairs and did that, and it goes fine. Now why didn't SGI put something about that in their documentation that I read ...

Irix is actually pretty easy to install, but the instructions suck.
Yeah, ditto. The instructions are crap -- but this is by far the distro. with the best user support; you guys rule!

I followed the instructions word for word (3 times this morning, and twice before I went to bed at 11pm last night!) changing things slightly each time.

That Futuretech link got me started as well, but it didn't occur to me to reset the environment variables (typing "resetenv" into a command window).
BTW, can anyone recommend any "must have" software for me? I'm just getting hooked on my little O2 :)

I saw on a screenshot somewhere, a sort of MacOS X dock clone (transperant and everything) ... can someone give me a pointer?

Thanks all!

Maciac.
Thats Iconbar which can be found in the downloads section of the website.

Fire up software manager and point it to http://freeware.sgi.com/Inst/ to see all the goodies you can download.

There is also Nekoware, which is more up to date but you need to have least 6.5.21m to run (I think).
zizban wrote: Fire up software manager and point it to http://freeware.sgi.com/Inst/ to see all the goodies you can download.

There is also Nekoware, which is more up to date but you need to have least 6.5.21m to run (I think).

The original poster mentions installing IRIX 6.3 so nearly all of SGI Freeware won't work. 6.3's Software Manager doesn't support web installs either. The May 2001 edition is the last for 6.3:

http://freeware.sgi.com/fw-6.2/
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
zizban wrote: Thats Iconbar which can be found in the downloads section of the website.

Fire up software manager and point it to http://freeware.sgi.com/Inst/ to see all the goodies you can download.

No chance that this setup supports pausing and continuing downloads of the tardist files? (for us unfortunate dialuppers)... (I need to get broadband one day :P )

Contradulations on getting your O2 working Maciac...
If you can get at it, (IE: if it's included or available with/for 6.3) I suggest looking at the Performer Town demo... (perfly town.perfly is what I type to get it on IRIX 6.5) While it's really not "Killer-App" it's a pretty nifty setup, and I personally am awaiting the day when i can get a better system [than the Indy] that'll run it better.
I [heart] the Performer Town Demo
mmhhhh..
in my personal experience , i found that irix was a tricky one, but because i was new to it....
when i was 14 i installed suse, and it was hard trick... well for me... :) dont want to revive my ISA modem driver installing eperience, arghhhh

the only big problem with irix was geting the cdrom to be recognizable by the prom.... im talking about 1-3 days... it was only a mere parity problem....so it was more an scsi trick than an IRIX trick...

only one thing rest to me to install...(and maybe this is the cause i would vote for linux....)
installing opengl support under linux....redhat 8, 9 , suse 8...cant remember the numbers now...but for more than a week i was trying to get it working with a geforce2 mx.... no way... when i changed my X settings, the sys crashed...i mean x didnt started....

well in a few days or more (for sure more) ill try to install linux again, and see if i can get opengl with an fx 5700....
BTW, can u recommend a linux flavour?, want to get the more friendly and usable one, u know...
First Irix install was a 10 hour ordeal. Now I keep a spare disk with a clean install around, and just clone away on my O2's. A few command line entries, and come back in 25 minutes and all is done..

Last Mac I did an install on was my old 128/512 k original Mac, install is just one file.

Windoze, I don't know how the OEM guys do it, but you can never ever get an install that looks like what you get with a factory new machine.

Linux, last install was SUSE 8.2, pretty darn easy.
maciac wrote: I ran upstairs and did that, and it goes fine. Now why didn't SGI put something about that in their documentation that I read ...

i was mad after my first irix install from 6.3 to 6.5
at reboot
never worked

but be sure after i discovered that trick
i never forgot that one

regarding irix
install it it's not so trick
yes... pal
all must be do in their correct way
but the hardest part of the work it's

partition the drive with fx
and start the inst procedure

after that steps
you must only wait
and you'll easy get a configured system

on linux you'll get better feel
only if you have a standard system
and you don't need configure specific hardware by hand

my
0,1 cent tip
there's no hard or easy installation.
you just have to know how to do it :wink:
r-a-c.de
radrob wrote: regarding irix
install it it's not so trick
yes... pal
all must be do in their correct way
but the hardest part of the work it's

partition the drive with fx
and start the inst procedure

after that steps
you must only wait
and you'll easy get a configured system

I agree. My first 6.5 install took several hours, only because of a caddy 1X CD-ROM drive. It was done just based on the "Installing IRIX" booklet (a simple case of RTFM, really). This was on an already fx'd drive though.

On a new drive, you're right, this is a little harder but Ian's doc (or sgi techpubs, but Ian's is very concise and easier to follow) is there to assist.

Once you've done it a dozen time, it becomes second nature... Well, almost :lol: