Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks

New guy, just bought a Fuel - Page 3

I was up kind of late last night working to install IRIX. I had 6.5.22 ISOs that I burned (from linux with cdwrite). Started with Overlay CD 1 and was able to boot into sash and then partition the drive but when I got back to the menu to boot the installer and get to the inst> promopt I, instead, got an error.

Should I start a new thread about that? I've searched for it (somewhat) and haven't found an answer yet.
hamei wrote:
uunix wrote: Congtats looks like a nice hinv.
Type /usr/gfx/gfxinfo to display you graphics.

Can't get there from the prom, he doesn't have an os installed yet :(

You might be able to do a < serial all > from the prom, then cross-reference the part numbers. I can't remember if you had to be booted up to do that or not tho.

the fun part is yet to come, installing irix :P

ah yes, sorry, missed the bit about the OS not installed yet DUH! :oops:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :Octane2: :O2: :Indy: loft => :Indigo: :540: :Octane: :Octane: :Indy:
sornywrx wrote: Should I start a new thread about that? I've searched for it (somewhat) and haven't found an answer yet.

Just my two cents but I'd say post it here first and if you don't get an instant-bingo right answer start a new thread...
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
Post whatever part number you see on the graphics card (open the can, it should be visible without pulling it from the slot) and we'll get you the spec.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
sornywrx wrote: Started with Overlay CD 1 ...

Houston, I think we have a problem.

You didn't by any chance download these from SGI ? 'Cuz those aren't the operating system. Those are overlays to the operating system. Fixpacks. Updates. Will not do what you want.
Juliet ! the dice were loaded from the start ...
hamei wrote:
sornywrx wrote: Started with Overlay CD 1 ...

Houston, I think we have a problem.

You didn't by any chance download these from SGI ? 'Cuz those aren't the operating system. Those are overlays to the operating system. Fixpacks. Updates. Will not do what you want.

Nope, didn't download them from SGI.

I have a set that has Overlay 1-3 6.5.22, Foundation 6.5, and IRIX 6.5.22 Applications.

To be specific on what I did, I started by running boot -f dksc(1,6,8)sash64 and then when I get to the sash prompt I ran boot -f dksc(1,6,7)stand/fx.64 --x and then selected defaults for device name, ctrl#, and drive# (dksc, 0, and 1). It reported drive selftest OK and shows my SEAGATE drive. Then I did repartition, root, label, and sync then exited and tried to "Install System Software" and that's when I got the error. The "Install System Software" option does report that it's copying the tools and takes about 20-30 seconds as it reads the CD-ROM. Then it fails with this error:

== see attachment ==

Any ideas? I burned the CD again to make sure I didn't have a bad write (could be a bad ISO I guess but I checked the checksums).

The error mentions controller 0, disk 1 and that's what the partition program shows so it seems to be pointing to the correct thing. Also, when I ran boot -f I replaced dksc(1,6,x) with cdrom(1,6,x) and both worked (as far as loading the partitioning tool but both ways gives me the same error in the screenshot above.

I'm running a disk exercise now to test it, figured it couldn't hurt.

I'm sure it's something minor, like a the tools are looking in the wrong place for the drive or something, but I've never ever installed IRIX or worked with an SGI so I'm not familiar with the process... I assumed I partitioned the drive and now the tools were supposed to be loaded into memory and then ran so that I could format the drive and continue installation.
Gut feel first was, take the PCI SCSI card out and try again (then if that works to get you to installed IRIX, pop the SCSI card back in and see what happens). But re-reading the error, it is device 1 on the internal controller (0) being referenced.

Have you been able to check the partitioning by re-running "fx -x" and using the "label" menu (from memory - it's reasonably intuitive)?
Fuel ; Indigo2 ; Octane ; RiscPC Kinetic/448MB/RISCOS4.39 or Debian-etch; Dell Inspiron4100/P3 1GHz/1GB/Debian-stable; EspressoPC ViaC3/900MHz/256MB/Debian-testing; RPi B RISCOS5.23; Rpi2 Raspbian-jessie; A5000/33MHz/FPA11/8MB/RISCOS3.11; A540/25MHz/FPA10/16MB/RISCOS3.11 or RISCiX1.21; R140/35MHz/4MB/RISCOS3.11 or RISCiX1.21
I did pull the SCSI card out and tried again, same thing... but i was thinking the same thing you just said that controller 0 should be the internal (assumed so anyways).

It's in the middle of a disk exercise now and is going pretty slow (might take another hour or two) but after that I'll try checking the label again as I haven't tried that.

Also, if it helps, after I partition and try to run the installer, if I go back and run boot -f it gives me a message a miniroot install is misconfigured or previous installation failed. Gives me options to 'c' continue, 'f' to fix the miniroot install state and try again, or 'a' abort and return to menu.

I've tried them all and never got anywhere. If I do a 'fix' it tells me that miniroot install state reset to normal. This is the part where my troubleshooting skills are weak as I'm not sure what the miniroot is or what it's trying to do so I can't really get my head in there and figure it out. I've worked in IT 15 years and am now a Systems Engineer but it's all Windows and VMware stuff with a little linux, so I have the IT and troubleshooting background but am lost on this.
One other thing to check - PROM "printenv" show?

Given the message about checking nvram, there may be a "funny" among the variables (paying special attention to the different ways PROM and IRIX refer to partitions!), in which case resetting those might get you further.
Fuel ; Indigo2 ; Octane ; RiscPC Kinetic/448MB/RISCOS4.39 or Debian-etch; Dell Inspiron4100/P3 1GHz/1GB/Debian-stable; EspressoPC ViaC3/900MHz/256MB/Debian-testing; RPi B RISCOS5.23; Rpi2 Raspbian-jessie; A5000/33MHz/FPA11/8MB/RISCOS3.11; A540/25MHz/FPA10/16MB/RISCOS3.11 or RISCiX1.21; R140/35MHz/4MB/RISCOS3.11 or RISCiX1.21
usually it's a good idea to do a "resetenv" in the prom before starting an installation. otherwise have a look at the output of "hinv" and set SystemPartition and OSLoadPartition accordingly
r-a-c.de
Here's my printenv after a reset (should've taken a pic before but didn't)

== see attachment ==

I'm assuming the System and OSLoad partition entries are correct.

What seems to be failing here? When I partitioned the drive and then tried to boot the installer is it loading files to the HD and then trying to boot it (and failing)? Guess I"m just lost on the boot process as I'm used to standard x86 PCs with BIOS.

I did an 'ls' from the command line and it shows :
dksc(0,1,8)/:
sgilabel

Is that right? 'sgilabel' is what the partitioning tool showed as the drive label after I let it setup the default root partition.

Thanks for the help, btw guys. If I need to start a new thread at this point just let me know.
sornywrx wrote: When I partitioned the drive

how did you do that?
r-a-c.de
foetz wrote:
sornywrx wrote: When I partitioned the drive

how did you do that?

Is that not what fx does? Sorry, I thought that fx was a disk partitioning tool. As I understood it I was to run fx (which seems to run ok) then run the installation tools off the CD and format the drive and finish the install.

Also, I just saw your edit for the image size. I apologize and will resize them next time.
sornywrx wrote: Is that not what fx does?

oh yes it is but i wanted to know what you did in fx i.e. how you partitioned the disk exactly

Also, I just saw your edit for the image size. I apologize and will resize them next time.

no worries :-)
r-a-c.de
foetz wrote:
sornywrx wrote: Is that not what fx does?

oh yes it is but i wanted to know what you did in fx i.e. how you partitioned the disk exactly

Ah, ok, yes I looked at a few guides and they all had the same procedure which was:

Press enter for disk defaults (controller 0, drive 1), it found my Seagate drive ok. I then did the following:

-'r' for repartition
-'ro' for root drive option
-confirmed XFS
-'..' to go up a level
-'l' for new disk label
-'sy' for new disk label (which was confirmed with a message)
-'ex' for exit... I believe here it asked if I wanted to save changes to the disk, I typed y

Then it rebooted. And with the same CD in the drive I tried to continue the installation and after reading the tools portion of the CD for 20-30 sec that's when I got the error message in the screen shot about being unable to read /hw etc etc.

I did as little reading. Read about the process and how after partitioning the option to start the install copies the 'miniroot' to a partition (#1) on the HD then boots it.

So I go to the cmd line and loaded sash64 and typed 'ls' on a fresh disk partition, BEFORE running the install. It only showed 1 partition, dksc(0,1,8) which is 'sgilabel'

After I attempted the install and it copies the tools from the CD (and then fails to give me the inst> prompt where I'd run mkfs) I went back to the prompt and run ls. This time it shows the dksc(0,1,8) with 'sgilabel' AND dksc(0,1,1) with some files and folders.
.cshrc .login .profile bin dev etc hw lib lib32 sbin usr var

I did an 'dksc(0,1,1)/hw' and it shows that it's an empty drive. So I don't know if this is the same 'hw' referenced in the error in my earlier screenshot or if it's supposed to be empty.

Ah, I ran dksc(0,1,1)/bin just to see what it'd have an I got "xfs: file read error" and "read of inode failed" "inode 0 has invalid magic number 0x5846' and could not read file ..U(A" ---except the ..U(A part of the 'file' name was the u with an ^ on top and an A with a ` on top.... obviously not real files and showing file corruption :( Not sure if it's the HD or the media.

So it looks like its at least seeing the drive, setting up partitions, and attempting to copy the tools but then fails to load the miniroot.

Either way I'm already learning a lot about IRIX :)
sornywrx wrote: Press enter for disk defaults (controller 0, drive 1), it found my Seagate drive ok. I then did the following:

-'r' for repartition
-confirmed XFS
-'..' to go up a level
-'l' for new disk label
-'ex' for exit... I believe here it asked if I wanted to save changes to the disk, I typed y

yeah that's correct but you still have to format it after. partitioning does not include creating a filesystem which goes for pretty much any os.

after booting the cd go to the admin menu and escape to a shell. in there run "mount" to see the full path of your root partition. then try:

Code: Select all

umount root_partition_path_here
mkfs /hw/rdisk/dks0d1s0
mount /hw/disk/dks0d1s0 root_partition_path_here

after that leave the shell (ctrl+d), return to the main menu and proceed with the installation
r-a-c.de
foetz wrote:
sornywrx wrote: Press enter for disk defaults (controller 0, drive 1), it found my Seagate drive ok. I then did the following:

-'r' for repartition
-confirmed XFS
-'..' to go up a level
-'l' for new disk label

yeah that's correct but you still have to format it after. partitioning does not include creating a filesystem which goes for pretty much any os.

after booting the cd go to the admin menu and escape to a shell. in there run "mount" to see the full path of your root partition. then try:

Code: Select all

umount root_partition_path_here
mkfs /hw/rdisk/dks0d1s0
mount /hw/disk/dks0d1s0 root_partition_path_here

after that leave the shell (ctrl+d), return to the main menu and proceed with the installation

Thanks for the info but I'm a little lost... When you say 'booting the cd' are you talking about running boot -f dksc(1,6,8)sash64? Because when at the admin menu (the one with "Start System, Install System Software, Run Diagnostics, Recover System, Enter Command Monitor, Select KB Layout) I choose Enter Command Monitor and tried running the boot -f command on the CD and get the sash prompt. From there I tried to run mount, umount, mkfs and got errors about it being unknown.

I understand that the drive needs to be formatted after partitioning but all of the guides I've read on IRIX installation say to partition it with fx, then click "Install System Software" and then you're able to use mkfs to format once you get the miniroot prompt. I think my breakdown is occurring when the miniroot isn't installing properly so I don't get the opportunity to get a shell but maybe I misunderstood your directions.
sornywrx wrote: I think my breakdown is occurring when the miniroot isn't installing properly so I don't get the opportunity to get a shell but maybe I misunderstood your directions.

oh so you never even got to inst?
btw which of the irix cds did you use?
r-a-c.de
It sounds like there is a problem where the PROM and the miniroot are talking past each other. You may have to start the installation manually, using the command interpreter. Something like "dksc(0,1,1)unix root=dks0d1s1"
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
foetz wrote:
sornywrx wrote: I think my breakdown is occurring when the miniroot isn't installing properly so I don't get the opportunity to get a shell but maybe I misunderstood your directions.

oh so you never even got to inst?
btw which of the irix cds did you use?

That's correct, didn't even get to inst> prompt. Right before it should've loaded, after the CD is read and the tools are copied to the HD, it fails with that error message.

What's interesting is that after it copies the tools from the CD to the partition I can go to the command line (from the main menu) and type ls dksc(0,1,1) and it lists some files and folders. But *some* of the folders have files listed that look like the file names are corrupted. Such as "__ÀÙÙ" and the times I"ve seen that on other file systems is when files are corrupted. Not all of them are like this... I saw some files in the folders on dksc(0,1,1) as regular looking file names, but some were definitely corrupted.

I am thinking that when the CD tools are being copied to the 0,1,1 partition for miniroot somethings getting corrupted and that's why it's failing. If that's the case then I'm probably in a world of hurt as it could be lots of reasons why it's corrupting the data... CD-ROM drive, HD, controller issues, memory....

Are there any kind of diagnostics I can run without having IRIX installed? I've got fx doing a disk exercise now to check for problems and it's been running about 8 hours and is almost finished.

Also, forgot to mention this, my CDs are 6.5.22 Overlays 1/2/3 and I have 6.5 Foundations 1/2. I've burned a few copies of the Installation Tools CD (Overlay CD1 apparently) to make sure it wasn't a bad burn or something.