Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks

New guy, just bought a Fuel - Page 2

ajw99uk wrote: The description says it gets as far as looking for the boot drive from which to load sash, which shows that all the diagnostics must be passed. Sounds very promising that the lack of HD is the only reason why it's "parts or spares".

From the pics:
- internal SCSI cable is there :-)
- you get a PCI-X dual-channel SCSI card as well (QLogic QLA12160 perhaps?)
- the DIMMs don't look fully "packed" with RAM ICs (compared to 1GB DIMMs) so I'd suspect 256MB each, but they might be 512MB
- good external condition, which hopefully means it's been generally looked after
- the label on the back is "copyright 2002", year of launch; of course that label may never have changed so (c)2002 might appear on all Fuels but if I'm right about the RAM I'd tend to assume an earlier rather than later model, so more likely to be 500 or 600MHz
- BUT the bolt that secures the drive cage to the cross-bar is missing! the horror! :-O

Shipping is always a gamble, but at least a Fuel's case is metal on 5 out of 6 faces. More plastic to get broken on an Octane or O2.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the in depth analysis! My mind's going crazy waiting on this thing so I can see what hardware is in it and what the condition is. Maybe I'm naive but I'm pretty trusting that, unless damaged in shipping, the only thing wrong is missing HD. I'd like to believe since this place is a reseller of surplus goods that it was just picked up off the floor of some business and was working until the drive was pulled for security reasons. Guess we'll see. Unfortunately it looks like it's gonna be the first of the week at best since I don't even have a tracking number yet.
sornywrx wrote: Maybe I'm naive but I'm pretty trusting that, unless damaged in shipping, the only thing wrong is missing HD.

Welcome to the world of SGI!! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :Octane2: :O2: :Indy: loft => :Indigo: :540: :Octane: :Octane: :Indy:
Quick survey of the two Fuels I have in the house (the super Fuel and the stripper spare) shows both systems have "copyright 2002" and at least one of them was factory 700MHz.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
Welcome to the SGI owners club.

My O2 and Octane both survived shipping cross country, practically unscathed. O2 has minor crack on the backside near the power supply vent, the Octane has a minor dent in the metal on the top corner above the video board, the plastic rib closest to it has a bit of surface damage on the top but the rest of the plastics are fine aside from the standard issue scuffs, scratches and sticker residue.

Gotta get around to posting the hinv for the Octane as well.
:O2: O2 - (Mantadoc) - R5K - 200MHZ - 128MB RAM - 6.5.30
:Octane: Octane - (Montrealais) - R12K - 2*360MHZ - 1024MB RAM - EMXI. - 6.5.30
Alphaserver DS10 - (Vandoc) - EV6 - 466MHZ - 256MB RAM
Sun Ultra 5 - (Quedoc) - UltraSparc II - 400MHZ - 512MB RAM
ASUS K55VD - (Mapleglen)- I5 - Dual Core 2.5GHZ - 8 GB RAM
Dell L502X - (Algorail) - I7 - Quad Core 2GHZ - 6 GB RAM
sornywrx wrote: I can use USB KB and mouse on the Fuel, right?

Yes. But if you can, ps/2 is better. With usb, if you make any changes, you'll be single-usering in and deleting /etc/ioconfig.conf a lot. I even considered making a shutdown script that would do that every time it turned off, just in case.

Also, the USB versions of the SGI keyboards kinda suck. The letters wear off if you look at them crosswise. I have three here, all the same. Eventually I will become a touch typist :D

And the mouse is a piece-of-junk logitech. Logitech is pretty much garbage, wears out in two to three weeks. I've gone through three of their trackballs now. The old ball mouse is kind of a pain in the butt but it works ... and works ... and works.

And when you install ? (Next question is, "where can I get Irix ?") DON'T go to 30 immediately. I am so much happier with the Real Irix Experience and it runs soooo much better. The shit they did post-6.5.22 is awful.

In fact, it would be a bitch for a first-time install but if you can avoid a lot of the junk they bundled into the "keep standard" installation, it would be good. Netscape 4.8 is no longer relevant :shock:

If you are used to Windows, don't bother with any of the browsers, they'll just piss you off. Install rdesktop and run your fave Mickeysoft browser remotely. It will save you a lot of grief and a lot of worthless garbage on your nice clean Fuel. Keep the garbage on the MickeyMachine, where it belongs :P

Nekoware is great but ... if I were thee, I'd hold off any installing any until you've used real Irix apps a while. Otherwise you may as well get a peecee and stick Loonix on it. So many posts here asking "where can I get a fossy xyz ?" to which the correct answer is, "Icon Catalog -> Media Tools". Irix comes with a ton of built-in goodies. For 95% of what you do, you don't need gnulix crap.
Juliet ! the dice were loaded from the start ...
hamei wrote:

Yes. But if you can, ps/2 is better. With usb, if you make any changes, you'll be single-usering in and deleting /etc/ioconfig.conf a lot. I even considered making a shutdown script that would do that every time it turned off, just in case.

Also, the USB versions of the SGI keyboards kinda suck. The letters wear off if you look at them crosswise. I have three here, all the same. Eventually I will become a touch typist :D

And the mouse is a piece-of-junk logitech. Logitech is pretty much garbage, wears out in two to three weeks. I've gone through three of their trackballs now. The old ball mouse is kind of a pain in the butt but it works ... and works ... and works.

And when you install ? (Next question is, "where can I get Irix ?") DON'T go to 30 immediately. I am so much happier with the Real Irix Experience and it runs soooo much better. The shit they did post-6.5.22 is awful.

In fact, it would be a bitch for a first-time install but if you can avoid a lot of the junk they bundled into the "keep standard" installation, it would be good. Netscape 4.8 is no longer relevant :shock:

If you are used to Windows, don't bother with any of the browsers, they'll just piss you off. Install rdesktop and run your fave Mickeysoft browser remotely. It will save you a lot of grief and a lot of worthless garbage on your nice clean Fuel. Keep the garbage on the MickeyMachine, where it belongs :P

Nekoware is great but ... if I were thee, I'd hold off any installing any until you've used real Irix apps a while. Otherwise you may as well get a peecee and stick Loonix on it. So many posts here asking "where can I get a fossy xyz ?" to which the correct answer is, "Icon Catalog -> Media Tools". Irix comes with a ton of built-in goodies. For 95% of what you do, you don't need gnulix crap.

Wow thanks for all the info. I might be looking for a PS2 kb/mouse set then. I just found a nice set on eBay for $50 and looks like they're in very good condition:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SGI-Silicon-Gra ... 35ef1b524f

Can't tell if that's a Logitech mouse though but on some other SGI mouse I've seen the Logitech logo and this one doesn't show it. I've had past experience of Logitech being junk and wouldn't buy one just because it had the SGI logo on it.

And who doesn't use Netscape 4.8 anymore?? ;)
That's a nice, standard SGI keyboard and ball mouse - not a Logitech one. I exactly the same pair here for my Fuel and Indigo2 and they work fine (despite their age), so long as you clean the rollers every few months of course!
Systems in use:
:Fuel: - Lithium : R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen : R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
Other systems in storage: :O2: x 2, :Indy: x 2
hamei wrote:

Ha. That's exactly what I ended up doing!

Also, mopar5150 and I did a lot of looking at Fuel motherboards and how well they cooperate with USB devices, especially in the PROM monitor. Our conclusion was we could find no obvious pattern of mo'bo version or firmware level that predicted how good the USB would be.

That said, I use a bog-standard Apple USB keyboard with mine (the white pre-chiclet version) connected to an Aten USB KVM.
smit happens.

probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
Trippynet wrote: That's a nice, standard SGI keyboard and ball mouse - not a Logitech one. I exactly the same pair here for my Fuel and Indigo2 and they work fine (despite their age), so long as you clean the rollers every few months of course!

same here. the best i ever had. i have quite a bunch of them and loved them from day 1 :D
r-a-c.de
foetz wrote:
Trippynet wrote: That's a nice, standard SGI keyboard and ball mouse - not a Logitech one. I exactly the same pair here for my Fuel and Indigo2 and they work fine (despite their age), so long as you clean the rollers every few months of course!

same here. the best i ever had. i have quite a bunch of them and loved them from day 1 :D

The USB keyboards have a nice light touch - I know that's not popular but some people might like it. I like them okay but the letters rub off. You're not supposed to need the letters but still ... that's crap.

A quick look shows that the famous SGI resellers have tested granite keyboards with return privilege for less than fleabay. Since they are in biz to provide SGI parts, might want to look there.

And better yet, both price lists I looked at had the slab keyboards for even less than the smaller dished ones. The slab was my favorite, I thought it had an even better feel than the mid-period granite ones.

On the mouse front, I'ma trackball guy. But I picked up a no-name usb vertical mouse that was not as big as a house. Cost $5. It was pretty nice. For keyboard, ps/2 is better. But for mice, not as many choices :(

I'm afraid to try it on the Octane - the family jewels would be at stake - but the best mouse I've ever used is a Mickeysoft wireless thing. Two buttons and a scroll wheel that doubles as a third. It's almost round, like a slightly mashed half-ball, but with a cutout on the left side for the thumb. Really comfortable. Optical, wireless, teflon pads on the bottom, fits the hand great. It's a wonderful mouse.
I have the wired version of that Microsoft mouse, if it's the model I'm thinking of. It is my mouse of choice, not just because of what you said, but also the nice "clicky" scroll wheel with real detents instead of sloppy sliding. It calls itself the Laser Mouse 6000.
smit happens.

ClassicHasClass wrote: I have the wired version of that Microsoft mouse, if it's the model I'm thinking of. It is my mouse of choice, not just because of what you said, but also the nice "clicky" scroll wheel with real detents instead of sloppy sliding. It calls itself the Laser Mouse 6000.

You made me go look. We have the "Sculpt Ergonomic" which looks like the cut-rate version of your Laser 6000. The 'Sculpt Ergonomic' was about $50. Definitely nice mouse tho. It should work on a 3x-series machine. I've never had much luck with those ps/2-usb converters or I'd risk the jewels on an Octane test :(

The Assist quit bitching about her hands hurting, so we splurged for the companion-piece keyboard. Mehhh, keyboard not so much. But the mouse is great.
Super excited, apparently the Fuel shipped early in the week but the seller was just slow to post the tracking number. I got the number this morning, finally, and it shows that its out for delivery. My wife just called and said a "HUGE BOX" showed up and she barely was able to drag it inside. I'll get some pics of this thing and a hinv tonight and update!
Nice! It's always a special feeling unwrapping a new SGI :)
Systems in use:
:Fuel: - Lithium : R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen : R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
hamei wrote: I've never had much luck with those ps/2-usb converters or I'd risk the jewels on an Octane test

They don't convert anything. It's just a passive plug that tells the mouse to switch to ps2 mode.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
sornywrx wrote: Super excited, apparently the Fuel shipped early in the week but the seller was just slow to post the tracking number. I got the number this morning, finally, and it shows that its out for delivery. My wife just called and said a "HUGE BOX" showed up and she barely was able to drag it inside. I'll get some pics of this thing and a hinv tonight and update!

It's been a few hours now.. was the wife telling porkies..or are you the proud fscking owner of a FSCKING FUEL?
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
Haha,

I was so excited I rushed home and opened this thing up. It's in even better shape than the pics showed on eBay! Not 100%, there's a scuff or two but nothing broken and looks beautiful!

I fired it up and got this hinv -v (I should've gotten text but just snapped a quick pic):

Looks like 600MHz and 1GB RAM, not too shabby. Not sure what graphics board that is, I assume it's a V10 but don't know.

I'll get some good pics of the system itself tomorrow. I spent all my time getting my SCSI drive in and was very relieved that the system booted and detected the Seagate SCSI drive I installed!
Congtats looks like a nice hinv.
Type /usr/gfx/gfxinfo to display you video.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
Very nice! The 600MHz R14000 isn't too shabby, and has twice the cache of the 500MHz version, so you do gain more than just an extra 100MHz. As IRIX is not a taxing OS, it'll run very nicely indeed with 1GB of RAM. Now you just need to pop that hard drive in and get IRIX installed onto it :)
Systems in use:
uunix wrote: Congtats looks like a nice hinv.
Type /usr/gfx/gfxinfo to display you graphics.

Can't get there from the prom, he doesn't have an os installed yet :(

You might be able to do a < serial all > from the prom, then cross-reference the part numbers. I can't remember if you had to be booted up to do that or not tho.

the fun part is yet to come, installing irix :P