Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks

New guy, just bought a Fuel - Page 5

Since mine took a while to power up and boot I was thinking it was DOA and I was starting to get mad. I was used to seeing a quicker response so I was like "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo.....oooh, ok cool...."
mpickering wrote: I just joined the "Gas Guzzler" club with a new Fuel of my own. This one was DOA due to the main power connector coming loose in shipping. Plugged in and machine powered up. Just took a while to finally bring the display up and boot.

Definitely going to be the nicest of the SGIs I own. Fuels and Tezros have been on my lust list for a long time.

Matt

Welcome to the gas guzzler club, or what we could call the champagne burner club. :)
:O2: O2 - (Mantadoc) - R5K - 200MHZ - 128MB RAM - 6.5.30
:Octane: Octane - (Montrealais) - R12K - 2*360MHZ - 1024MB RAM - EMXI. - 6.5.30
Alphaserver DS10 - (Vandoc) - EV6 - 466MHZ - 256MB RAM
Sun Ultra 5 - (Quedoc) - UltraSparc II - 400MHZ - 512MB RAM
ASUS K55VD - (Mapleglen)- I5 - Dual Core 2.5GHZ - 8 GB RAM
Dell L502X - (Algorail) - I7 - Quad Core 2GHZ - 6 GB RAM
Currently I have turned on.. 2 x Octane 2 (1 fully loaded with DCD etc), 1x o2, 1xIndy (with ext DVD). 1 x IBM Power5 285, 1xVBOB, 2xPS3, 1xVHS Video player, 2x Fujitsu Primergy Servers, 2x i5 Shuttles, 1xi7 gaming type PC, 1 UPS, 5x Monitor / 2xTV & a printer, A few others bits that draw power.. & that's just my toasty warm room, the kids probably have a TV on and So does the wife-to-be. My electricity metre is showing 25pence an hour. It normally runs at about 11pence with just the intel stuff left on 24x7.

Luckily it's only a few hours a day I have all this stuff on.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
MyDungeon() << :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: MyLoft() << :540: :Octane: MyWork() << :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo:
Going presently I have 1 Octane, 1 Alphaserver DS10, 1 Dell 4400, 1 Dell 3100, 1 Dell L502X Laptop, 1 ASUS K55VD laptop going presently and 1 high velocity fan keeping the room cool and air circulating.

O2 and Ultra 5 are layed up at the moment.
:O2: O2 - (Mantadoc) - R5K - 200MHZ - 128MB RAM - 6.5.30
:Octane: Octane - (Montrealais) - R12K - 2*360MHZ - 1024MB RAM - EMXI. - 6.5.30
Alphaserver DS10 - (Vandoc) - EV6 - 466MHZ - 256MB RAM
Sun Ultra 5 - (Quedoc) - UltraSparc II - 400MHZ - 512MB RAM
ASUS K55VD - (Mapleglen)- I5 - Dual Core 2.5GHZ - 8 GB RAM
Dell L502X - (Algorail) - I7 - Quad Core 2GHZ - 6 GB RAM
uunix wrote: My electricity metre is showing 25pence an hour. It normally runs at about 11pence with just ....

So it's like six pence in a pie, 12 shillings in a sixpence, four pounds in a litre and half a gallon in a haypenny ?

I never could get that English money thing straight :oops:
hamei wrote:
uunix wrote: My electricity metre is showing 25pence an hour. It normally runs at about 11pence with just ....

So it's like six pence in a pie, 12 shillings in a sixpence, four pounds in a litre and half a gallon in a haypenny ?

I never could get that English money thing straight :oops:

Decimal hamei old chap, in 4 hours I'd have spent a pound, which is 100 pence, which contains 2 lots of 50pence, 5 lots of 20pence, 4 lots of 25 pence, 50 lots of 2pence and of course back to 100 pennies.

Shillings and stuff changed the year after I was born thank god, now (although argued by older people as easier) was probably the most complicated good for nothing monetary system in the world, I mean WTF is 3 & 6pence..

This year (possibly) we are getting a new plastic pound note (or £5), it meant to make the money last longer.. I just don't see how that can work in my house, as soon as I have a fiver, someone has spent it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
MyDungeon() << :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: MyLoft() << :540: :Octane: MyWork() << :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo:
uunix wrote: Shillings and stuff changed the year after I was born thank god, now (although argued by older people as easier) was probably the most complicated good for nothing monetary system in the world, I mean WTF is 3 & 6pence..

I won't give away how old that makes you, but you come from a vintage year (for port, at least!). I (just) snuck into the old money era too.

240 old pence "d" to a pound, divided into 20 shillings (aka "bob") of 12 pence each. Makes anyone over 50 likely to be a dab hand at the 12x table, as well as the 16x and 14x tables needed for ounces/pounds/stone units of weight! Three-and-six ("3/6" on price tags) would be 42d or 17.5p. When farthings were in circulation as the smallest denomination, it was 1/960 of a pound so the smallest decimal coin (0.5p or 1/200 of a pound) was nearly 5 times greater value. I think shopkeepers were supposed to round down when switching prices, but instead just upped the pre-transition price!

The "base 12" systems (coinage, time, degrees/minutes/seconds of rotation) are arguably more flexible in terms of sub-divisions as simple fractions. Compare HD spin speeds (3600, 4200, 5400, 7200) and baud rates - there was some underlying rationale for not having a decimal progression. Metric measures may be arithmetically easier in other ways, but lack the poetry of terms such as farthing, florin, perch, rood, scruple and furlong. We used to get exercise books with conversion tables printed on the inside covers - the non-metric parts (with 2/3 different systems for area, mass and volume) took up as much space as the non-metric/metric.
Fuel ; Indigo2 ; Octane ; RiscPC Kinetic/448MB/RISCOS4.39 or Debian-etch; Dell Inspiron4100/P3 1GHz/1GB/Debian-stable; EspressoPC ViaC3/900MHz/256MB/Debian-testing; RPi B RISCOS5.23; Rpi2 Raspbian-jessie; A5000/33MHz/FPA11/8MB/RISCOS3.11; A540/25MHz/FPA10/16MB/RISCOS3.11 or RISCiX1.21; R140/35MHz/4MB/RISCOS3.11 or RISCiX1.21