Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks

Internet Connection for Indy - Page 2

What i'm thinking is that when I keep getting the message with the ethernet cable being hooked up, '' ALERT: arp,host with MAC address 6c.33.a9.34.c6.1e is still using my IP address 192.168.0.4 '', it's the same for IRIS, IRIS. , and for Indy. Maybe it's counter flicking from me using Indy's computer name with the same IP address? How do I delete the old hostnames?
I really want to delete IRIS. and Indy hostnames. I'll just keep IRIS and redo the network connection on it or should I keep Indy? I wish it was simply to delete the hostnames. Please can anybody help me?
Open a shell (Top left - Tool Chest - Desktop - Open unix shell)
type the following and press enter/return
netstat -ia

Under the column Address, you will possibly see a bunch of letters & numbers segmented by 5 : (that is five colons)
for example 6c:33:a9:34:c6:1e (this is the mac of the machine using your ip address 192.168.0.4)
If the above example is NOT in your Address list then this states that something else on your network has that IP address.
The error message you are seeing is NOT to do with the host name.

Interestingly, I ran the same command on my R5000 O2 and there was no mac address displayed. On my R12000 O2 it was displayed and so I booted up the INDY and that did display the mac address.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:O2: :1600SW: :O2: :1600SW: :Octane2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: :540:
Nevermind, I'm selling my Indy.
goldenamber wrote: Nevermind, I'm selling my Indy.

This was the first thing I wanted to advise you.
This thing has caused me so much grief, I don't want it anymore. Anybody who see's this can check out my other forum post who might want to buy it, that includes an IndyCam, and the SGI specific VGA adapter here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16729101 and my Ebay post here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/161492257207?ss ... 1558.l2649
Sorry to hear that it was frustrating. Hope you find your next challenge more rewarding.

Honestly the Indy wouldn't be much use for checking email and online activities these days. The internet has grown and left behind all the old hardware and software. Sometimes for the better and sometimes just for different.

If you change your mind you have a great machine for learning how to interact with the unix shell (command line interface). But I'm sure you realize a linux vm on a modern computer is probably 10 times faster.
:O3000: :Fuel: :Tezro: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: <--challenge S
It's ok, but I don't think I'm ever going to get another SGI machine again. If anyone can help me sell this machine, I'd be very happy.
goldenamber wrote: I don't think I'm ever going to get another SGI machine again.

Better avoid Sun, too. They are even worse. And I don't know what language IBM speaks but it isn't English.

Old computers are a masochistic hobby ... SGI is not the worst of the bunch.
he said a girl named Patches was found ...
goldenamber wrote: It's ok, but I don't think I'm ever going to get another SGI machine again.

Yeah, I got the impression early on that you bit off a lot more than you can chew. Part of the reason many of us love these machines (and UNIX machines in general) is that there's a certain amount of discovery required to get one up and running properly. You seemed to want it to 'just work'. It's not an iPad.

You have a nice Indy, though - hopefully it'll sell soon. :)
:Onyx2: :Fuel: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :O3x0:
Thank you, I hope it sells too!
ITEM SOLD!!!