Everything Else

your latest purchase - Page 1

Latest thing I bought is Korg's new ARP Odyssey recreation. Due to get in tomorrow :D
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/HS-80/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/M1, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Emax HD/Proteus-2, Casio CZ-5000, Moog Satellite, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600
@commo, give us a phat baseline groove when you plug the korg in :)

@ive, boy your tablecloth! screams mediterraneao :lol: those lemon-yellow tints mess with your light-meter. the lady that takes care of my holiday home in spetses brought an exact same one last summer for my coffee-table.

on practising your english, go back to stevenson, did you get “the suicide club” yet? textbooks are fine but nothing like good, meticulous prose.

last thing i got is the nanoputer but haven’t received it yet. computah-kid is working on it; then it comes my way for a realistic test in the wild.
My last purchase was a pint of Lager... sorry never took a pic..
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
Soldering iron, Weller WX1011 :)
Meat for yesterday's BBQ.

First of the season!
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
jan-jaap wrote: Meat for yesterday's BBQ.

First of the season!

Pfft, 7 degrees and raining here in Scotland at the moment. BBQs are a distant dream right now...
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen : R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium : R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30
Arrived today at work, although I purchased it last week, a 5ft FireWire cable so I can test out Mac (output) - Fuel (input) video.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
I got myself a Nesmuk Exclusive Folder Zabrano 66 [one of only 10 pieces world-wide].
Everyone loves a lover. Romeo loves Juliet. Therefore, Trump loves Putin.
Not technically a purchase. Since it was given to me. A pair of Sun t5120s.

Code: Select all

root@e:~# prtconf | grep Memory
Memory size: 16256 Megabytes

root@e:~# psrinfo -pv
The physical processor has 4 cores and 32 virtual processors (0-31)
The core has 8 virtual processors (0-7)
The core has 8 virtual processors (8-15)
The core has 8 virtual processors (16-23)
The core has 8 virtual processors (24-31)
UltraSPARC-T2 (chipid 0, clock 1165 MHz)

Not sure what I'm going to do with them yet.
guardian452 wrote:
itsvince725 wrote: This Frankenstein's monster of an AT PC.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/232266046242?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

The case and motherboard are like 5 years apart, it's so weird.

Eh, I reused the same compaq case and psu for about 15 years. Started life as a p4 with geforce 2 mx in 2001, upgraded with core 2 duo and geforce 9400. Gave it to a friend and afaik it's still running as-is.

One of those compaqs that had the interchangable color translucent panel on the front. :)

I actually am looking for a PIII Deskpro right now, hoping to find one this weekend at an old computer store.
:Indigo2: :Indy:
Raion-Fox wrote: Well I did get a DX7 recently as planned at a pawn shop for $270. The case is dented and the LCD needs to be replaced but otherwise it works great.

Woah Raion-Fox, so I'm curious; do most of you guys buy synthesizers and have this degree of familiarity with them? That's like taking all of the niche forums and topics (vogons, VCF, EEVBlog Forum, VSF, gearslutz, geekhack etc etc etc) and rolling it all into one with each member on here knowing all of these topics and switching between them nonchalantly on the fly. I've never in my life switched from discussing OS/400 to DX7s and JV-1080s, nor did I think it was possible.

[meanwhile at nekochan] "No big deal , we'll just talk about System i, Irix, OS/2, FreeBSD, obscure PowerPC PReP machines, SGI Granite ALPS keyboards, Oberheims, Yamaha FM synths"...

*brain explodes*

I bought a Yamaha FB-01 (got lucky @ $37 USD) even though it's a bit redundant as I own an "IMFC" which has the same chip. But this way it doesn't need to be inside a computer. I think the IMFC even needs the elusive -12V ISA rail, which I have no idea how it differs from "+12v" as they're both... 12v. I like that red screen, it's almost like it was deliberately chosen to be the opposite of the MT-32.
There's a surprising number of Nekochanners who are into synthesizers, actually. I have no idea why this should be the case, but there you are.

Anyway, the FB-01 is a fun little box :) Nowhere near as flexible as their professional-level FM keyboards, but plenty flexible enough to play around with, plus it's pretty well exactly the same voice architecture as the OPN chip in the Sega Genesis. Good stuff!
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/HS-80/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/M1, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Emax HD/Proteus-2, Casio CZ-5000, Moog Satellite, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600
commodorejohn wrote: There's a surprising number of Nekochanners who are into synthesizers, actually. I have no idea why this should be the case, but there you are.

Hmmmm.... would it be possible to create a 'how did you get into synthesizers' thread?

commodorejohn wrote: Anyway, the FB-01 is a fun little box :) Nowhere near as flexible as their professional-level FM keyboards, but plenty flexible enough to play around with, plus it's pretty well exactly the same voice architecture as the OPN chip in the Sega Genesis. Good stuff!

OPM and OPN actually do share more differences than you'd expect (and the OPN implemented with TDM distortion on early Genesis cannot be replicated with anything else unless you use the same amplifier). That's not my forte though since I get most exposure from the OPL series (*drool* OPL2 *drool*), I'm reciting what my 'OPx' buddy always tells me.

I do happen to own an FS1R (even the box too!), so I won't have to be limited by the FB-01 in any way. A different friend who also owns an FS1R (and a polymoog 203a), said it was a challenge to turn off the extra reverb effects on the FS1R's stock sounds. I haven't dug that deep yet since the FS1R's interface is pretty terrible and adapted from their MU series... just need to get that MIDI mixer going... just a pain programming its interface. I didn't go with a USB MOTU because the one I was looking at dropped SYSEX data randomly and that's pretty important when you're editing synths remotely.
I've just received a second ThinkVision L220x, got from eBay for 20 GBP.

I love this monitor. 1920x1200, 22-inch, 4 USB 2 ports and does 92% Adobe RGB when properly calibrated.
Image Image
ibmfiles wrote: OPM and OPN actually do share more differences than you'd expect (and the OPN implemented with TDM distortion on early Genesis cannot be replicated with anything else unless you use the same amplifier). That's not my forte though since I get most exposure from the OPL series (*drool* OPL2 *drool*), I'm reciting what my 'OPx' buddy always tells me.

True enough, but it's still about the closest you're going to get in a MIDI-capable instrument, unless someone has hacked up an interface for Genesis & flashcart (which wouldn't surprise me.)

And yes, OPL2 is its own special kind of magic :)
ibmfiles wrote: Woah Raion-Fox, so I'm curious; do most of you guys buy synthesizers and have this degree of familiarity with them? That's like taking all of the niche forums and topics (vogons, VCF, EEVBlog Forum, VSF, gearslutz, geekhack etc etc etc) and rolling it all into one with each member on here knowing all of these topics and switching between them nonchalantly on the fly. I've never in my life switched from discussing OS/400 to DX7s and JV-1080s, nor did I think it was possible.

Lets roll over some of my other hobbies while we're at it:

Cars (I do all the work on my Miata)
Audiophile
Music Composer
Writer
parkour (I suck at it though as I'm the only tracer within 30 miles)
mechanical keyboards
I speak three languages besides English: Chinese, Japanese and some Portugeuse
Cooking

My Miata smells like petrol today because I replaced the fuel pump. FML.

So yeah, I'm a varied interest man.

ibmfiles wrote: I bought a Yamaha FB-01 (got lucky @ $37 USD) even though it's a bit redundant as I own an "IMFC" which has the same chip. But this way it doesn't need to be inside a computer. I think the IMFC even needs the elusive -12V ISA rail, which I have no idea how it differs from "+12v" as they're both... 12v. I like that red screen, it's almost like it was deliberately chosen to be the opposite of the MT-32.
ymhfb1.JPG

Nice! I have a PSR-36, PSS-470, and my DX7 currently. I want a PSR-32, a few early analog Casios, and the Yamaha MK-100.

I did pick up a BOSS-532 mixer recently. Nice, for a mixer that uses SmartMedia.
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane: R12000 300MHz SI 896MB RAM yuuka
:Octane2: R12000A 400MHz V6 2.5GB RAM
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M Windows 8.1 Embedded rin
Thinkpad R40 Pentium M 1.5GHz 2GB RAM kasha
Hah, I haven't seriously dug into Portuguese since years ago when I was translating some of my cousins' Aninha comics.
Well I am ethnically Western Spanish-Eastern Portugeuse. Even my mother's ancestral family name, Godoy, should clue you in. Its the greatest ethnic composition in my genetics and the one I most strongly identify with, as I look very Portugeuse (By contrast, my younger brother takes after the father's side and would look at home in Denmark or Sweden.)

I'm learning European Portugeuse, though.
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane: R12000 300MHz SI 896MB RAM yuuka
:Octane2: R12000A 400MHz V6 2.5GB RAM
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M Windows 8.1 Embedded rin
Thinkpad R40 Pentium M 1.5GHz 2GB RAM kasha
An IBM PC XT 286! It's missing a hard drive and it's slightly rusty but I paid a lot less than eBay prices AND I got a Model M keyboard with it!
:Indigo2: :Indy:
Raion-Fox wrote: I'm learning European Portugeuse, though.

I'm always delighted when I see someone learning Portuguese. People only seem to be interested in learning Spanish...
Feel free to ask if you need help. I know both Brazilian and European Portuguese well (in terms of spelling differences, grammar usage and unique expressions), although my accent is 100% Brazilian.
Image Image