Everything Else

duckduckgo : two girls, one cup - Page 3

Now that it has been pointed out to me I am seeing hamburgers all over the place. Right beneath our very own neko-girl, even! I always thought it was just a styling thing because I always see it accompanied by text e.g. "quick links"

smj wrote:
commodorejohn wrote: God, I miss the days of icons you could actually tell what they were .
So don't upgrade to Windows 8 /10 / OSX Mavericks /Yosemite - instead just wait a couple of years. They'll need to make everything look "new" and "fresh" again, and they'll invent this brilliant new design aesthetic of rich graphics and skeuomorphism , which is of course totally novel and never before seen, because they'll need a hook to sell Windows 11 / OSX Annapurna...

Of course. It is only fashion. To not run a newer version just because of appearance, well I was able to get over it without too much trouble. The new window dressings aren't enough bother to put up with an old version, although for personal tastes I still have a machine with 10.6 that I like to play with.

It is not difficult to make windows 7 look and feel like windows 2000. I originally did this because having cleartype on a retina display looks really ugly with vmware's scaled framebuffer. But the more I look at it, the more I think mickey had their UX buttoned up right 15 years ago. It looks really crisp and clean.

josehill wrote: Ah, the joys of visiting a web page for a 250 word article, and receiving ten megabytes of "content."

I recall watching full screen video on my 2006 MacBook Pro without the MBP breaking a sweat. Now, simply watching a low resolution YouTube video pegs the CPU and triggers "wind tunnel mode" on the fans. :roll:
This is "progress", the computer industry has been this way as long as I've been alive and will continue to do so long into the future.
You eat Cadillacs; Lincolns too... Mercurys and Subarus.
guardian452 wrote: It is not difficult to make windows 7 look and feel like windows 2000. I originally did this because having cleartype on a retina display looks really ugly with vmware's scaled framebuffer. But the more I look at it, the more I think mickey had their UX buttoned up right 15 years ago. It looks really crisp and clean.

I think there's a lot of truth to that. I set up my main Win7 box that way, even though it has a 21" flat panel display. The interface has its quirks, but once you figure them out, they don't get in the way of actual work, and Mickey is supporting Win7 into 2020. Not bad at all, actually.

The best thing that happened to Apple after it went down the road of iOS-ifying MacOS is that Microsoft released Win8, instead of something more like a Win7.5.
http://oglaf.com/bilge/ :P

guardian452 wrote: To not run a newer version just because of appearance, well I was able to get over it without too much trouble.

But why bother ? Upgrading takes several hours if you are lucky. Registry entries, licenses, settings all get butchered when you upgrade even if you are set up for it. And there's always some shit with the printer drivers for your "antique, deprecated" three year old printer which have disappeared and you have to spend three hours hunting them down. And in the US you actually have to pay to go through that ordeal.

It's a bunch of work. If there's nothing better in the "new" version, why do it ?

Please don't say "security." I will go off my rocker and it will be ugly. That's such a pile of shit.
two girls for every boy ...
For nerds like me who like to play with different things once in a while it can be fun. The illuminati have conditioned us consumers to demand the latest and greatest all the time. My machine is not supported by apple so it is kind of a personal 'fuck you' to them to continue to run their newest software on my ancient hardware. Etc. The fun new games tend to have issues ranging from minor glitches to not working at all if your OS version doesn't match up.

What really "boils my teakettle", so to speak, is programs (typically iphone apps) that stop working until you update. (e.g. some mobile games) Those are quickly deleted. I should be able to run the old version if I want to, especially if I find the app useful and it is working fine. If you are going to go off your rocker about something, let's talk about that.

Security? Hah!

My printer (canon inkjet) and the printer at the office (HP print/copy/fax combo thingy) both use airprint. So there is no driver needed. And there will always be postscript...
My machine is not supported by apple so it is kind of a personal 'fuck you' to them to continue to run their newest software on my ancient hardware.

My machine is not supported by apple so it is kind of a personal 'bite me' to them to continue to run the newest software that I compile for it on my ancient hardware.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
This came across my desk today: https://diafygi.github.io/webrtc-ips/
Firefox and Chrome have been enhanced to support a new protocol called STUN (sounds like the taser, but it's an IETF design for opening connections through NATs, and therefore through firewalls). It has the side-effect of deanonymizing browsers that use VPNs, and exposing their local and public IP addresses to any website. So people who use VPN to view shows that are blocked in their country could soon see them stop working.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
aaaaannnddd if we don't upgrade we can keep watching? Will this work even with openvpn/ssh tunnels? Or PPTP only?

I'm sure we can come up with a way around it. It's just another arms race. Otherwise it will be back to bittorrent for me. :( Which I've never had a problem with. :)

This maaaybe (??) explains why youtube recently started complaining that "your browser is no longer supported and you may not be able to view certain videos" (safari 5) :evil:
Oh, YouTube's been bitchy about old browsers for years. They've yet to actually make it stop working on anything, because they don't want to lose out on ad revenue from the millions of grandmas viewing funny cat videos on IE6, but of course the Cult of the Constant Update has to beat their war-drum nonetheless...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup
robespierre wrote: This came across my desk today: https://diafygi.github.io/webrtc-ips/
Firefox and Chrome have been enhanced to support a new protocol called STUN (sounds like the taser, but it's an IETF design for opening connections through NATs, and therefore through firewalls). It has the side-effect of deanonymizing browsers that use VPNs, and exposing their local and public IP addresses to any website. So people who use VPN to view shows that are blocked in their country could soon see them stop working.

Fortunately this can be disabled: http://www.ghacks.net/2015/01/27/sites- ... ng-webrtc/

The sane default would have been to disable WebRTC -- this way it's yet another data point to create a unique browser fingerprint even with cookies disabled.
Now this is a deep dark secret, so everybody keep it quiet :)
It turns out that when reset, the WD33C93 defaults to a SCSI ID of 0, and it was simpler to leave it that way... -- Dave Olson, in comp.sys.sgi

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
jan-jaap wrote: Fortunately this can be disabled: http://www.ghacks.net/2015/01/27/sites- ... ng-webrtc/

Another task in the endless fight to keep the slimy little preverts out of our underwear drawer. Eventually it gets tiresome.

Time to go live in the wilderness for me. Maybe sneak into town after dark once a month to pick up some Nestle's Quik, but that's about it.
he said a girl named Patches was found ...
hamei wrote: Time to go live in the wilderness for me. Maybe sneak into town after dark once a month to pick up some Nestle's Quik, but that's about it.

Don't forget to grab a bag of Satarnta, though... :D
Curious: the first recorded successful pregnancy brought forth a murderer...
Oskar45 wrote: Don't forget to grab a bag of Satarnta, though... :D

Does that go well with roots and berries ?
Don't you go getting all Unabomber on us now hamei... :lol:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
Whaddya mean "now?"
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup
hamei wrote:
Oskar45 wrote: Don't forget to grab a bag of Satarnta, though... :D

Does that go well with roots and berries ?

Certainly! BTW, don't forget to take a copy of "How to shit in the woods" with you - it's a classic"!
Curious: the first recorded successful pregnancy brought forth a murderer...
1. Squat.
2. ????
3. Profit!
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 800MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
ClassicHasClass wrote: 1. Squat.
2. ????
3. Profit!

I'll invest!!! :lol:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
ClassicHasClass wrote: 1. Squat.
2. ????
3. Profit!

You're thinking of Piles on the Road by Squatton Leavit :P
Oskar45 wrote: BTW, don't forget to take a copy of "How to shit in the woods" with you - it's a classic"!

And now, finally, this thread is relevant to the thread title... :lol:
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube:
smj wrote: And now, finally, this thread is relevant to the thread title... :lol:

By the power vested in me as a moderator of this forum, I hereby declare smj to be the winner of this thread.

The specific nature of the prize will be determined by hamei. ;)