Everything Else

duckduckgo : two girls, one cup - Page 4

josehill wrote: The specific nature of the prize will be determined by hamei. ;)

Purely by coincidence, I have a suitable award right here ready to go. Just have to box it up and find an unsuspecting shipper ... :D

btw, in another little stroke for the forces of evil, the duckduckgo settings that Glizda referred to are not persistent. Even if you set it, they don't last between restarts. Nice. "Save your settings in The Cloud !"

Unh-hunh. Check's in the mail, I won't ... &c &c
two girls for every boy ...
hamei wrote: Purely by coincidence, I have a suitable award right here ready to go. Just have to box it up and find an unsuspecting shipper ... :D
Now I'm worried...

hamei wrote: btw, in another little stroke for the forces of evil, the duckduckgo settings that Glizda referred to are not persistent. Even if you set it, they don't last between restarts. Nice. "Save your settings in The Cloud !"
But, dude... this is what you want . You don't want them tracking you, which they'd have to do to be able to apply those preferences automatically each time. :mrgreen:
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube:
smj wrote: Now I'm worried...

If you see a flaming bag on your porch, maybe better get the fire extinguisher :D

But, dude... this is what you want . You don't want them tracking you ...

My hope was that they'd use simple cookies to toggle their settings. Of course they could have just left it the way it was but oh well.

For me there are two problems with the way it is now. One is that you can't do a simple rmb -> save link as ... for pdf's.

The other is that duckduck seems to now have the same problem google used to have : too many searches in a short period of time and suddenly your connection drops to 3 baud. Going straight to the searchee doesn't do that but the prepended duck url trips the counter. Of course that is conjecture because there is no way in hell they will admit to anything but it's repeatable.

So, settings blob or no settings blob, it's not something that can be fixed.

Bye, duckduck.
two girls for every boy ...
hamei wrote: btw, in another little stroke for the forces of evil, the duckduckgo settings that Glizda referred to are not persistent.

Works for me. Have you enabled cookies for duck duck? I have one with the name "d" and the value "-1" - it seems this one turns this option on.

smj wrote: You don't want them tracking you, which they'd have to do to be able to apply those preferences automatically each time. :mrgreen:

They drop no tracking cookies, only a cookie for each setting. I have the "d" cookie with "-1" for "disable redirects" and two cookies ("ah" and "l") with the value "pl-pl", because I've enabled regional results via the switch on the right side of the results (I really love this switch - I've hated fighting with google to switch between "global" and "regional" results).

There are of course other options to track you (like fingerprinting the browser (now also with canvas ) or your ISP sending tracking headers , no flash cookies on IRIX fortunately ;) ), but thats something you have little control over.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Fuel: :540: Image
Then again, if you don't do searches for things like pressure cookers who cares if they track you? My search history is full of strings like XmGetPixmap(XtScreen(XtParent(w)) - it's a wonder the FBI isn't kicking my door in even as we speak... :evil:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
vishnu wrote: ... it's a wonder the FBI isn't kicking my door in even as we speak... :evil:

GPS directions were off, give us about 30 minutes... :lol:
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube:
smj wrote: GPS directions were off, give us about 30 minutes... :lol:

I'm so viewed... :shock:
viiiiiiiew.jpg
viiiiiiiew.jpg (11.69 KiB) Viewed 69 times
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...