Everything Else

duckduckgo : two girls, one cup - Page 1

Well, that didn't last long. The worthless losers now just have to add their own stinking crap to the beginning of any result-link, so if you try to grab a pdf directly oh noes ! you canna do that ! we need to add our duckduck url to the front end of all resulting redirects !

Go fuck yourselves, duckduck. It's pretty hard to drive me into the arms of Mickeysoft but yes ! you, duckduck assholes, have succeeded. Eat my shorts, you greedy ignorant little pricks. Bing, here we come.

Bing, believe it or not, has improved a great deal over the past few months, at least here. And they don't attach their own dingleberries to my searches, at least not visibly or in a "force you to make another click" manner.

God, the Internet is truly disgusting these days.
he said I like it, I want it, I'll take it off your hands ...
If they don't do that they can't recalculate their page ranks based on what users click on, frankly I'm surprised they weren't doing this up to now, since it's that type of page rank that made google so accurate and thus drove infoseek and altavista and excite even pretty much yahoo! out of the search business...
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
vishnu wrote: If they don't do that they can't recalculate their page ranks based on what users click on,

I don't want the ignorant little losers to calculate page ranks for me. I don't want the ignorant little losers to decide what I get to see. Just put the fucking results out there and let me go through them. The only thing more annoying is the bitch at KFC, "Would you like to supersize that?"

"Oh of course, thank you so much, I'm too stupid to speak English and ask for what I want, what I'd really like is to buy one of everything in your crappy store and send you all on vacation."

STFU you mentally-retarded bitch and give me what I asked for !!!

frankly I'm surprised they weren't doing this up to now, since it's that type of page rank that made google so accurate

Google is not accurate. The first three pages of any google search are worthless. Unless you are looking for the cheapest online price for Huggies, google is now crap.

drove infoseek and altavista and excite even pretty much yahoo! out of the search business...

What drove altavista and lycos and yahoo and all the rest out of business was Marissa Mayer, who insisted that Google keep the one-line, no advertising setup that just returned search results until all the obnoxious annoying "portals" died off. Then they would be free to turn around and cheat everyone who had fallen for the classic monopoly scam.

Is this the new US business model ? Produce something good for just long enough to sucker in a large number of people, then turn around and fuck them over ?

Those extra pointless hits to duckduck are a pain in the ass here. Like they used to do to google before they threw it out of the country (good move on the commies' part, actually. If the rest of the world were smart they'd do the same, google is evil); if you have too many hits to duck in a short time, they throttle your connection. Another point is, even stinking google did not screw up the result this way : with a real search engine if you see a pdf in the results you can rmb "save link as" and get it directly. If you try that with duck, all you get is an empty html file because the worthless ignorant little twats just have to prepend their own url.

Screw them.

Yandex is weird, Blekko, dogpile - maybe; yahoo sucks. Maybe exalead, who knows, it seems not so bad so far. Baidu is awful. Bing is Mickey but better than google and duck. I am tempted to set up a little box running gigablast and do my own damn search. These "providers" are nothing but annoying trash.
Your estimate of google is slightly generous; otherwise correct... 8-)
Project:
Plan:
hamei wrote: Well, that didn't last long. The worthless losers now just have to add their own stinking crap to the beginning of any result-link, so if you try to grab a pdf directly oh noes ! you canna do that ! we need to add our duckduck url to the front end of all resulting redirects !

Calm down. Go to advanced settings, privacy and disable redirects (you have to enable cookies for it to work). They did it, because that way the target page won't know what were you searching for.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Fuel: :540: Image
GL1zdA wrote: Calm down. Go to advanced settings, privacy and disable redirects (you have to enable cookies for it to work). They did it, because that way the target page won't know what were you searching for.

Alas, today no joy in Mudville ;

Code: Select all

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; IRIX64 IP35; en-US; rv:1.9.0.19) Gecko/2013020113 Firefox/3.0.19

Can't even submit to the Windows indignity, doesn't exist there either :

Mozilla/5.0 (WindowsNT 5.2; rv:28.00) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/28.0

nor with the user agent I advertise to servers

Toto the Dog from Kansas

all mei you, so bye-bye duck from Philly ..... (the one from Finland is safe) :(
I've tried duckduckgo but I've been using bing for so long, since it was called live search... I suppose the no tracking features are nice but there is a difference between privacy and anonymity and I have no expectations of privacy on the internet anyway. Besides, I like Bing's daily photo on my home page and little popover trivial pursuits :)
You eat Cadillacs; Lincolns too... Mercurys and Subarus.
hamei wrote:
GL1zdA wrote: Calm down. Go to advanced settings, privacy and disable redirects (you have to enable cookies for it to work). They did it, because that way the target page won't know what were you searching for.

Alas, today no joy in Mudville ;
all mei you, so bye-bye duck from Philly ..... (the one from Finland is safe) :(

I'm not sure I understand what you're talking about now... I've disabled this weeks ago because I often copy links from Duck Duck and I don't think this is browser dependent.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Fuel: :540: Image
FWIW, I had to tell NoScript to allow scripts from DuckDuckGo.com before I would get the little "menu" icon in the top right of the DuckDuckGo.com page. Once I did that, I could access that menu, choose Advanced Settings, and the Privacy Settings. Then the option to disable redirects was there.
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube:
you could also give ixquick a try
r-a-c.de
smj wrote: FWIW, I had to tell NoScript to allow scripts from DuckDuckGo.com before I would get the little "menu" icon in the top right of the DuckDuckGo.com page. Once I did that, I could access that menu, choose Advanced Settings, and the Privacy Settings. Then the option to disable redirects was there.

Yes, I've disabled NoScript for DuckDuck. It's increasingly painful to browse the web with NoScript nowadays, but I'm trying. I think I will have to change the default from whitelisting to blacklisting, but creating a blacklist would take some effort.
Maybe the direct link will work: https://duckduckgo.com/settings#privacy

foetz wrote: you could also give ixquick a try

Looks suspiciously similar to StartPage .
It's increasingly painful to browse the web without NoScript nowadays.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup
GL1zdA wrote: Looks suspiciously similar to StartPage .

because it's the same :P
r-a-c.de
hamei wrote: all mei you, so bye-bye duck from Philly ..... (the one from Finland is safe) :(

Don't be too sure, I recently got a job as a web programmer :-)
:Octane: halo , oct ane Image knightrider , d i g i t a l AlphaPC164, pond , soekris net6501, misc cool stuff in a rack
N.B.: I tend to talk out of my ass. Do not take it too seriously.
duck wrote:
hamei wrote: all mei you, so bye-bye duck from Philly ..... (the one from Finland is safe) :(

Don't be too sure, I recently got a job as a web programmer :-)

Really? If that's not just a specious verbalism to tweak hamei, then congratulations! :D
Project:
Plan:
well, you might as well use Yandex then...
:O3200: :Fuel: :Indy: :O3x02L:
duck wrote: Don't be too sure, I recently got a job as a web programmer :-)

Hey ! that's the best news I've heard this week ! Really cool, duck !

I mean, I'd really like it if someone gave you a job going through Open Sores software ripping out gcc shit but this is the next best thing :P

On the OtherDuck Front, thank you both to GL1zda and smj : here's the initial duckduck screen -

Well, that's a big help. Let's go over to Winders and turn off NoScript -

Oh look ! It's the Secret Decoder Ring ! Why am I so stupid, I didn't figure out this was the settings for the search engine ! It's so obvious ! No one in this world can read, so we have to use the magic sign that only Initiates will recognize !

This is so fucking stupid that only the ADD-riddled retards working for loser places like boogle and quackquack could come up with it. I guess they are too bored sitting in their cubbyoles stroking their dicks, so they have to invent cutesy little ways to mess with average users.

Well, fuck them.

I am soooo sick of wasting my time on stupidity that I quit. They can take their search engine and use it to wipe their asses. I am sick and tired of Open Sores blithering idiots who happily violate the rules of programming languages and call it an "extension" and the buffoons who write web sites (duck excepted) and all of these witless advertising whores. It's nothing but a huge waste of time. They can have their worthless internet. Shove it, nitwits. I'm going back to paper, pencil, and the telephone. It works better.

ramq wrote: well, you might as well use Yandex then...

Yeah, it's pretty bad. But so are all the rest. Bing in China is better than it was, exalead has promise, but mostly I am going to try to avoid search entirely. It's just like the Browser Wars - all they've done is destroy a good thing with their brainless idiocy. Fuck them all.
he said a girl named Patches was found ...
hamei wrote: This is so fucking stupid that only the ADD-riddled retards working for loser places like boogle and quackquack could come up with it. I guess they are too bored sitting in their cubbyoles stroking their dicks, so they have to invent cutesy little ways to mess with average users.

Well, fuck them.

I am soooo sick of wasting my time on stupidity that I quit. They can take their search engine and use it to wipe their asses. I am sick and tired of Open Sores blithering idiots who happily violate the rules of programming languages and call it an "extension" and the buffoons who write web sites (duck excepted) and all of these witless advertising whores. It's nothing but a huge waste of time. They can have their worthless internet. Shove it, nitwits. I'm going back to paper, pencil, and the telephone. It works better.

(PS. do we have a youtube embedding tag?)
hamei wrote: I'm going back to paper, pencil, and the telephone. It works better.

Excellent :-) Better still - instead of condemning existing search-engines, why not implementing your very own miracle? Sure, as there is no such thing as the Bible, your's might not please the whole community - but some might indeed say karibu ...
Curious: the first recorded successful pregnancy brought forth a murderer...
Oskar45 wrote: ... instead of condemning existing search-engines, why not implement your very own miracle?

It's not just a search engine, Oskar. I could probably put up with that. It's the entire state of commercial-grade computing.

Web browsers : they are shit. All of them. With 300 million people in the US and just as many in Europe, at least half those people use a web browser on occasion -- but there is not a single one that is worth two pennies. Absolutely worthless shit designed and implemented solely for the purpose of jamming advertising down our throats, while conveniently using our hardware and $50/mo connections to supply them with ever more data for targetting yet more crap down our throats. I'm tired of being a foie gras goose.

Geeky cool programming d00ds who do shit as in duckduck above : "Look at our cool secret hidden settings menu ! Aren't we just so special ?! "

Umm, no, not exactly. Mentally-retarded is closer to the truth, in fact.

Commercial websites for products that should not be subject to this kind of wackoff stuff : they are also created by imbeciles. A couple days ago I needed some specs for a machine I was peddling. US company (let's name names : Haas), decent machines for okay price. Go to the website and what do I get ? "Your browser does not support javascript. Please enable it and come back."

Piss off, dickwad.

Here's a secret : if I do a show and someone walks up who is apparently not wealthy and happens to be wearing a shabby sweater, I do not tell him "Sorry Jack. Go have a bath, buy a nice Italian jacket and red tie then come back and maybe I'll talk to you." That kind of thing on a company website is idiotic. Not funny idiotic, infuriating idiotic.

Was furious but already told the customer I'd get him the info so went over to the Winders box. Brought up the site. It's a US company. Because my ip is in China, the fucking site comes up in Chinese.There is no way to get it into English.

Fine. Fuck you morons. You just lost $125,000. It will be a cold day in hell before I recommend that anyone buys even a dog house from you stupid shits.

I am continuously getting websites that say "Our site requires javascriopt flash and stinkyschmutz. Please go install those and come back." The short answer to that is "Piss off."

Even sites which are not quite as stupid as this have layers upon layers of foetid shit lurking right beneath the surface. I spend way too much time blocking garbage. Every time you turn around some little twit is bleating about "security ! security!" like when I wanted to log in as root to set up the new solaris box. "Oh no, can't do that ! It's not safe ! " but the braindead little shits cream their jeans over Chrome because "it has fast javascript ! I can upload nekkid pictures to Facebleep three times faster !" Every page you go to has ten hidden links to some disgusting crap. It's like sitting down to eat a plate of spaghetti then discovering that on the end of every noodle is some disease-riddled vicious rodent with glowing red eyes and the breath of death.

And oh yes, "free and open source" software ... is also riddled with maggot-laden rotting flesh. MPlayer thread in dev : libdca. Wouldn't build. Checked the error message : gcc not only allows, it encourages illegal code. C++ defines an array using positive integers . But gcc is way too cool for that, they have "extensions" which allow anything. Excuse me. C++ is a language. It has rules. These aren't 'extensions', they are violations . If every little masturbating teenager on the planet can make up his own rules, wtf is the point ? Mickeysoft did this for a reason. What is the reason for the open sores community ? Are they insane or merely stupid ?

It's just too much, Oskar. Some struggle is fine, it's expected, life ain't a pickanick Mr Ranger Sir. But this is dumb. It's like being a flagellante for a non-existent god. Pointless and painful for no reason and it's not getting better, it's getting worse. I'm tired of struggling my ass off to go backwards on a daily basis for no reason. The children can have the fucking internet. They shit all over it, fine, take it it's yours.

Paper and pencil work fine.
he said a girl named Patches was found ...