Everything Else

Places to see before you die - Page 2

fu wrote:
Oskar45 wrote:
*Why* did a GOD create us so that we can manage (again) to create all this mess (again) just by ourselves (again)? It's a mystery to me :-)

panem et circenses, most likely :)

*Kosher* panem, I presume! Actually, while certainly OT, if I'd have the chance to go back in time I'd for sure want to land in Old Rome - circenses, orgies and all the other aberrations practised then attract me quite some :)

Back to topic.

I'd like to climb Kilimanjaro...

I'd like to climb all 14 of the 8000 meter peaks! :mrgreen: :lol: :shock:
Just hire Reinhold Messner and you will be ok :)

I for myself just stick to the Kilimanjaro - after a week or so of acclimatisation, it's not that terribly hard to get to the top...I only hope it's still snow-capped by then, though!

Actually, judging from Apicius's "De re coquinaria" them Old Romans had more to offer than just panem. Check Liber VII/Polyteles for some mouth-watering dishes :-)

robespierre's right, get some edelweiss instead but worry not about the food oskar, it's delicious outside the arena. juvenal's phrase (check his satire works) is spot on our current mess (feed people with products and false needs to keep them passively satisfied and socio-politically apathetic), which reminds me of... quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

back on topic, regan's got me covered
PymbleSoftware wrote:
I've seen most places I've wanted to go to, I wouldn't mind spending more at some of the places I've been though.
As I really like living, am not actively seeking out the kind of places I would die after. With so little things I have seen and not really been in places outside of Finland I should live long and healthy life.
Well I managed to tick off one "must visit" earlier this year when I spent a week in and around San Francisco - it was excellent :)

Other 'must visits' are Japan, something really hot and expensive like some Bali beach resort with deep blue sea and palm trees.. and lastly I *really* want to see the Northern Lights.

Once I've bought a house next year, I'll start planning (and saving!) for these trips!

I like San Francisco, it is a very livable city in some respects. I'd probably go to Big Bear or Squaw Valley or somewhere for weekend skiing. ;-)

chicaneuk wrote:
Other 'must visits' are Japan, something really hot and expensive like some Bali beach resort with deep blue sea and palm trees..

Japan is something really special if you can take the time to reflect in a mountain top shrine, or hang out with Snow Monkeys in the hot springs. I've only been three times, and I've love to go back.

You could not drag me back to Bali kicking and screaming. It is a sleazy tourist trap, full of drugs, twenty something kids off their faces and crass souvenir sellers trying to ram stuff down your throat or offering massages or eh-hem illegal underage services...

R.

アレゲはアレゲ以上のなにものでもなさげ -- アレゲ研究家

:Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2R: :Onyx2RE: :Onyx2: :O3x04R: :O3x0: :O200: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :PI: :PI: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x Mac, 3 x SUN, Alpha DS20E, Alpha 800 5/550, 3 x RS/6000, Amiga 4000 VideoToaster, Amiga4000 -030, 733MHz Sam440 AmigaOS 4.1 update 1. Tandem Himalaya S-Series Nonstop S72000 ServerNet.

Sold: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo:

Cortex ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cortex-th ... 11?sk=info
Minnie ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Minnie-th ... 02?sk=info
Book ----> http://pymblesoftware.com/book/
Github ---> https://github.com/pymblesoftware
Visit http://www.pymblesoftware.com
Search for "Pymble", "InstaElf", "CryWhy" or "Cricket Score Sheet" in the iPad App store or search for "Pymble" or "CryWhy" in the iPhone App store.
chicaneuk wrote:
Other 'must visits' are Japan, something really hot and expensive like some Bali beach resort with deep blue sea and palm trees.. and lastly I *really* want to see the Northern Lights.

We get some weak Aurora Borealis where I live, but I once visited Kiruna and the effect of the Northern Lights is breathtaking

hamei wrote:
I could probably face the grim reaper with a smile if I only knew whether Sonny Liston took a dive ...
Until then, enjoy Terry Pratchett's "Reaper Man" :-)

I always wanted to go to Svanetia in Northwestern Georgia (Rebulic of, that is...). June 2012, I finally did. It was breathtaking. Hard to get to, as well. Almost felt like being back "home" in the countrysides of Afghanistan. ;-)

Still want to go to Greenland and Kamchatka, to Ingushetia and the Yemen. (That is these four places more so than anywhere else.)