Everything Else

Help: sgi cube logo gif - Page 2

duck wrote: Hmm, possibly, I feel the Riemersma dithering gives more of a 3d-effect, but the jittering of the dithering might be distracting (hard to tell from the video)

sorry for that, ill try get another video and have it near the display. also if high def, the video size is large, any suggestion to see the performance comparison? do you want me to slow the rotation?
just let me know and ill try to capture it
:Octane: (Sakura) :O2: (Sasuke) :1600SW: (Naruto) ... lil Jesse! (O2 laptop)
“Imagination is more important than knowledge.“ – A. Einstein
BTW:

The Cube-Demo I made some years ago is still online. There is also a 3DS-Model
of the cube.

http://www.martin-steen.de/sgi/cube.html
geo wrote:
duck wrote: Hmm, possibly, I feel the Riemersma dithering gives more of a 3d-effect, but the jittering of the dithering might be distracting (hard to tell from the video)

sorry for that, ill try get another video and have it near the display. also if high def, the video size is large, any suggestion to see the performance comparison? do you want me to slow the rotation?

One way to make those dithered images look less grainy, and to get rid of that snow effect around edges would be to run all the animation frames through a median filter.
The median filter looks good, and if you have the software then temporal dithering could also be done.. My ImageMagick doesn't support ordered bayer dithering, but that could work too (the dots stay in a grid and just differ in "intensity")

As an aside, I made this for my g+ profile page just because I had the cube animation all set up... (See attachment, forum image scaling screws it up)
:Octane: halo , oct ane Image knightrider , d i g i t a l AlphaPC164, pond , soekris net6501, misc cool stuff in a rack
N.B.: I tend to talk out of my ass. Do not take it too seriously.
geo wrote:

Whatever it's going to be, looks awesome, I think i like the riemersma and white ones the most (but I'm sure it looks much better live than on the video).

Cheers and great job.
[click for links to hinv] JP: :Fuel: | :O2: | :Indy: || PL: [ :Fuel: :O2: :O2+: :Indy: ]
duck wrote: ... my ImageMagick doesn't support ordered bayer dithering ...

Don't know if it supports layered dithering either but duck - try Graphics Magick. Much better operation over mutiple cpus, faster, more stable, better guys running it. Bob Friesenhan (sp ?) knows his stuff, is very responsive to questions or complaints. It compiles with MIPSPro no problem.
Is this display going to wind up in sgifanatic's Indigo Reborn case, by any chance?
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube:
hamei wrote:
duck wrote: ... my ImageMagick doesn't support ordered bayer dithering ...

Don't know if it supports layered dithering either but duck - try Graphics Magick. Much better operation over mutiple cpus, faster, more stable, better guys running it. Bob Friesenhan (sp ?) knows his stuff, is very responsive to questions or complaints. It compiles with MIPSPro no problem.

I'll have a look. Thanks for the tip.
:Octane: halo , oct ane Image knightrider , d i g i t a l AlphaPC164, pond , soekris net6501, misc cool stuff in a rack
N.B.: I tend to talk out of my ass. Do not take it too seriously.
Martin Steen wrote: BTW:

The Cube-Demo I made some years ago is still online. There is also a 3DS-Model
of the cube.

http://www.martin-steen.de/sgi/cube.html

wow!! this is perfect!! how i wish i could use this on an OLED or TFT :)

theinonen wrote: One way to make those dithered images look less grainy, and to get rid of that snow effect around edges would be to run all the animation frames through a median filter.

wow!! median looks great!! will try this soon! thanks theonen! btw, im not sure but you did this on RISCOS right?

kubatyszko wrote: Whatever it's going to be, looks awesome, I think i like the riemersma and white ones the most (but I'm sure it looks much better live than on the video).

Cheers and great job.

hehe thanks kuba!! yeah white is also i like :) but the none dithering, when spin fast, really looks like a real cube floating around ;) yup!! how i wish you all can see the real in action coz really looks sharp ;) coz i use SHARP Memory LCD! just like those used on SHARP japanes mobile phones, even just monochorm but its high resolution makes it a great logo animation ;)

smj wrote: Is this display going to wind up in sgifanatic's Indigo Reborn case, by any chance?

yeah!!! that would be a great idea smj!! but hmm i think sgifanatic already done with his casing which is made of metal right? if anyone want to have this logo, how about we build this and have it fabricated? these are the parts:
* SHARP Memory TFT LCD
* EFM MCU
For the PCB, i can do it here coz here in mainland is cheaper ;) then EFM also i can order here.. but for the SHARP, it a bit difficult coz its from Japan.. maybe kubatyszko can help us? :)

coz actually the first plan i did this is for my planned O2 laptop :) i want to have a 2nd O2 laptop coz im still inspired by jumbo prawn everytime i look at it hehe so looking forward then!!

plan to have a light casing, carbon fiber is on mind but i have no experience, any suggestions? what material is light and easy to mold or use to make as case? the design will be, as much as possible, there will be less shoehorning on O2 modules as possible. only the frontpanel and PSU will be re implemented. then display use will be the 1600SW itself, removing all heavy unused parts and try change the backlight with super bright LED to lessen heat and power consumption. hehe sounds crazy right? but wahh if this can happen? we can bring our O2 anywhere we want ;)
:Octane: (Sakura) :O2: (Sasuke) :1600SW: (Naruto) ... lil Jesse! (O2 laptop)
“Imagination is more important than knowledge.“ – A. Einstein
Sorry, I think you'd mentioned the new O2 laptop project before and I forgot. Sounds like a fun project, certainly a challenge.

If you're thinking of carbon fiber, start experimenting with fiberglass (aka glass fibre). All the health hazards and fabrication challenges at a lower cost! ;)
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube: