Everything Else

Help: sgi cube logo gif - Page 1

hi! sorry to ask help on this, i already tried but i cannot get a nice resolution.

could someone help me make this gif that i attached to a 142x141 resolution? really thanks in advance :)

in case my attachment cannot be seen, this gif is a 44x43 rotating image of sgi cube and it has 36 frames

i hope its not to much to ask but if possible can you also make one in monochrome color?

really thanks in advance, after i finish this quick project for sgi, i will post a video and i think everyone will like one ;)

powered.gif
powered.gif (43.43 KiB) Viewed 555 times
:Octane: (Sakura) :O2: (Sasuke) :1600SW: (Naruto) ... lil Jesse! (O2 laptop)
“Imagination is more important than knowledge.“ – A. Einstein
geo wrote: to a 142x141 resolution

btw, please ignore this, only needed is width is less or equal to 144pixels, height is a value for proportional with width
I whipped this one up in Maya. Seems like the RGBA tiff -> gif conversion didn't really get the alpha channel right...
sgicube.gif
larger sgi cube
sgicube.gif (199.86 KiB) Viewed 547 times

36 frames, 144x144.
:Octane: halo , oct ane Image knightrider , d i g i t a l AlphaPC164, pond , soekris net6501, misc cool stuff in a rack
N.B.: I tend to talk out of my ass. Do not take it too seriously.
duck wrote: I whipped this one up in Maya. Seems like the RGBA tiff -> gif conversion didn't really get the alpha channel right...
sgicube.gif

36 frames, 144x144.

my God! didn't expect this immediate help, thanks duck!! you're the man!! hehe really thanks, ok will update you soon as i prepare this.

just a spoiler.. imagine your sgi cube logo on your sgi machine is not just a plastic badge, its a rotating image like this ;)
Alright, I could put some more work into it and give you insanely high resolution images if you really want to do something with it other than like a forum avatar or something :-P
:Octane: halo , oct ane Image knightrider , d i g i t a l AlphaPC164, pond , soekris net6501, misc cool stuff in a rack
duck wrote: Alright, I could put some more work into it and give you insanely high resolution images if you really want to do something with it other than like a forum avatar or something :-P

wow!! that would be great!! ok ill give you what display i will use so that you can consider these parameters

i use the SHARP TFT MemLCD, its just 1bit depth, its like e-paper but has a better resolution :)
i just use this to have low power consumption compared to colored TFT or OLED

really thanks duck! as soon as i can finish prototype, will upload a video
geo wrote:
duck wrote: Alright, I could put some more work into it and give you insanely high resolution images if you really want to do something with it other than like a forum avatar or something :-P

wow!! that would be great!! ok ill give you what display i will use so that you can consider these parameters

i use the SHARP TFT MemLCD, its just 1bit depth, its like e-paper but has a better resolution :)
i just use this to have low power consumption compared to colored TFT or OLED

really thanks duck! as soon as i can finish prototype, will upload a video

Hmm, that's a bit more tricky, if it's 1bit you'll need some dithering to make it look any good, or can you take care of that?

Here's a new one:
sgicube.gif
Fatter, shinier, cube.
sgicube.gif (233.45 KiB) Viewed 525 times

Source tiffs:
sgicube.zip
Zip with tiffs
(556.02 KiB) Downloaded 23 times

They're 144x144 since I guess it would be pointless to have larger images... Just ask if you want me to render larger.
duck wrote: Hmm, that's a bit more tricky, if it's 1bit you'll need some dithering to make it look any good, or can you take care of that?

hi duck! yes that's one obstacle i have, that's why i mentioned earlier if its ok if the images already in monochrome :) ah hehe sorry i guess i need your help on dithering :) really thanks in advance! actually you already did a lot for this, really appreciated :) but if you still have spare time, dithering is most welcome :)

duck wrote: Here's a new one:
Attachment:
File comment: Fatter, shinier, cube.

sgicube.gif [ 233.45 KiB | Viewed 21 times ]

Source tiffs:
Attachment:
File comment: Zip with tiffs
sgicube.zip [556.02 KiB]
Downloaded 1 time

wow! thanks! i will load this to my board and will see

duck wrote: They're 144x144 since I guess it would be pointless to have larger images... Just ask if you want me to render larger.

this is perfect! no need larger coz my lcd is just 144x160 pixels hehe thanks duck! will keep you updated
@duck: well done!!
:Octane2: 2xR12000 400MHz, 4GB RAM, V12
SGI - the legend will never die!!
hi duck, already prepare the Flash ROM for all the images, almost done. But when I try to use the frames of your latest gif, when i use paint, it will automatically set the background to black, and when i convert the image to monochrome, the rendered cube is not so clear. so i guess i need to ask your help again with dithering? can you please help me make one with only 1bit deep color?
geo wrote: hi duck, already prepare the Flash ROM for all the images, almost done. But when I try to use the frames of your latest gif, when i use paint, it will automatically set the background to black, and when i convert the image to monochrome, the rendered cube is not so clear. so i guess i need to ask your help again with dithering? can you please help me make one with only 1bit deep color?

I can try, never really done something like that... Time to browse the ImageMagick manual :-)

Is a GIF really necessary by the way?

Update
It was easier than I thought. Here are a couple of early samples:
sgicube-floydsteinberg.gif
Floyd Steinberg dithering
sgicube-floydsteinberg.gif (53.89 KiB) Viewed 426 times

sgicube-riemersma.gif
Riemersma dithering
sgicube-riemersma.gif (55.15 KiB) Viewed 426 times

sgicube-none.gif
No dithering
sgicube-none.gif (37.86 KiB) Viewed 426 times

Oh, and obviously the background would change to black or white in a 1-bit image, since there are only two colours. If there were an alpha channel you'd need at least one more bit.
duck wrote: Update
It was easier than I thought. Here are a couple of early samples:

my God, you are awesome duck!! cant wait to try this on my board on Monday hehe really this is perfect, really thanks duck!

duck wrote: Is a GIF really necessary by the way?

ah actually if you can send me the frames in monochrome bitmap it would be great, but neh this is already too much duck hehe ill just extract it and use paint then feed it to my parser to extract the bitmap raw data and burn all to Flash ROM.. i use an external ROM with I2C interface, yeah a bit slow but hmm if i can optimize my RTOS and squeeze all the raw data to MCU ROM would be best.. my estimate is 1 frame needs around 2592bytes, my MCU Flash ROM has 128KB, so 36 frames * 2592 = 93KB; would leave me 35KB for my RTOS... but for now ill utilize an external ROM just to show the video ;)

imagine if this will be completed, Apple laptops have their Apple logo lit when its is switched on. Alienware laptops have their Alien face logo lit up when ON. Our SGI laptops! will have a steady SGI cube when OFF, then rotating SGI cube when ON :)
hehe but if power consumption is not that high during rotating, we can change to: rotating SGI cube even OFF state, wow! hehe ok2 enough with dreaming and will try this on early monday, wish me luck guys!

btw duck, as soon i get one done, will do my best to give you one ;)
geo wrote: ah actually if you can send me the frames in monochrome bitmap

I'll have a look at making a cleaner one, there's a little too much going on in reflections and things making the dithering
a little ugly... Simple works best with low res and few colors in my experience.

geo wrote: btw duck, as soon i get one done, will do my best to give you one ;)

Swag! Awesome! \o/
duck wrote: I'll have a look at making a cleaner one, there's a little too much going on in reflections and things making the dithering
a little ugly... Simple works best with low res and few colors in my experience.

hehe ok2 you're the boss, will hit the sack now coz its 11:30pm here, till monday then ciao!!

duck wrote: Swag! Awesome! \o/

haha same reaction as Jesse Newcomb when i gave him the first prototype of this: http://watchshock.com/blog/149/new-gues ... l-watches/

hehe this is one of my major project here.. gave him one coz he gave me his jumboprawn O2 laptop, really a nice guy :)
haha that's awesome!
:Onyx2:
Translator on RISC OS does pretty good job with dithering.

Here is an example where frames of ducks sgicube.gif were loaded to Translator and just saved as 1 bit images. Finally everything was put back together with InterGif.
theinonen wrote: Translator on RISC OS does pretty good job with dithering.

Here is an example where frames of ducks sgicube.gif were loaded to Translator and just saved as 1 bit images. Finally everything was put back together with InterGif.

thanks theinonen!! i also generated ROM data of your gif :)

ok here it is, the videos :) i only choose sgicube-riemersma, sgicube-none from duck and white from theinonen, for now. also put a size reference together with my good old iphone hehe

sgicube-riemersma.wmv [ 1.14 MiB | Viewed 316 times ]

sgicube-none.wmv [ 1.26 MiB | Viewed 316 times ]

white.wmv [ 1.13 MiB | Viewed 316 times ]

iphone with sgicube -none.wmv [ 1.2 MiB | Viewed 316 times ]

Wow, that looks cool :-)
duck wrote: Wow, that looks cool :-)

thanks! hehe if not of you, this wont be possible :)

next stage is to put it on a small module with coin battery :)

so i guess the best effect is the sgicube_none, what you think?

btw don't get discouraged on the not so smooth display panel, that is the touchpanel with plastic cover on it hehe coz this is my development board for one of my projects here :)
geo wrote: so i guess the best effect is the sgicube_none, what you think?

btw don't get discouraged on the not so smooth display panel, that is the touchpanel with plastic cover on it hehe coz this is my development board for one of my projects here :)

Hmm, possibly, I feel the Riemersma dithering gives more of a 3d-effect, but the jittering of the dithering might be distracting (hard to tell from the video)