Everything Else

Are You Waiting For The End Of The World? - Page 3

one problem is that we confuse science (and some of its experiments/achievements) w/ everything else (happiness, evolution, civilization etc). science alone won't solve all our problems. each science boasts a bunch of indexes and graphs, measures something while discarding anything else. we have to start looking at the whole picture.

another basic problem is that we overestimate our (human) kind. up to the point that the us smart , them dumb mindset does not end with puberty as it should. scientists call the mass dumb, artists call the mass dumb, mass call the mass dumb, it's a vicious circle. what a fantastic, reasonable, educated piece of work!

get a bunch of nobel-prized scientists, a bunch of well known artists, a bunch of janitors and some eskimo fishermen. when you're done hearing each other's bragging start discussing about their personal aspects. and hey! they're all facing the exact same issues with their partners and the rest of their (inter)personal aspects. smart what? dumb what?

it feels ok to bitch about the (other) mass, good old placebo pill to make the rest of the titles stand out for a while. it's easy to call now dumb, something that a civilization of the pre-classic period guessed back then. just as it's always easy to blame a majority of the population for reproducing mass media hysteria. when you take them off the g'dang tv box, motivate/educate them, nice things happen . lo + behold the few clowns w/ monkey suits wouldn't like that, gotta keep 'em hypnotized to get the votes on Sunday and keep ripping them off (some people think this is called freedom/democracy). problem is why "we" educated fools fail to recognize the booby-traps.

about those damned sci-fi movies of the 80s? all the fake intelligence and smartassness that they were pushing to the mass for 2000AD?

damn scientists! where is my jetpack?
This thread sofar reminds me of the eternal dispute between creationists and evolutistionists...According to statistics, 40+% of the American people believe literally in the story of Noah's Arc. How about you Nekochaners?
About 40% of Americans deny evolution. Sad.
I love Josehill's comment from the thread fu linked to:

We should probably just set up an "Everybody is Evil" forum, an "Everywhere Sucks" forum, and a "The Old Days Were Better" forum.
Maverick 3: Athlon X2 7750, 2gb, Windows Vista
Frank Dux: SGI Octane2 R12k 400mhz 1.5gb

"Chief, look! I learned to make fire! Who knows what we could do with this... We should learn to control it!"

"Ridiculous. How can you justify wasting time and effort on this so-called 'fire' when our children are freezing to death at night?"
^ oh no! semiological catastrophe!

i was just hoping for an open, bare, no masks, no titles discussion…

gonna fix some cocktails, anyone for a drink or two?
fu wrote: anyone for a drink or two?
Depends...what do you offer?
About 40% of Americans deny evolution. Sad.
^ i'll probably go for something exotic to accompany my bossa nuova mood

but no worries, name your poison, i'm a decent bartender
Here's an interview that will hopefully get you thinking.
Do watch all segments as they all have very interesting insights from a real scientist. Nowadays it's mostly $laves to the indu$try of $cience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvyD2o7w24g

fu wrote:
one problem is that we confuse science (and some of its experiments/achievements) w/ everything else (happiness, evolution, civilization etc). science alone won't solve all our problems. each science boasts a bunch of indexes and graphs, measures something while discarding anything else. we have to start looking at the whole picture.

another basic problem is that we overestimate our (human) kind. up to the point that the us smart , them dumb mindset does not end with puberty as it should. scientists call the mass dumb, artists call the mass dumb, mass call the mass dumb, it's a vicious circle. what a fantastic, reasonable, educated piece of work!

get a bunch of nobel-prized scientists, a bunch of well known artists, a bunch of janitors and some eskimo fishermen. when you're done hearing each other's bragging start discussing about their personal aspects. and hey! they're all facing the exact same issues with their partners and the rest of their (inter)personal aspects. smart what? dumb what?

it feels ok to bitch about the (other) mass, good old placebo pill to make the rest of the titles stand out for a while. it's easy to call now dumb, something that a civilization of the pre-classic period guessed back then. just as it's always easy to blame a majority of the population for reproducing mass media hysteria. when you take them off the g'dang tv box, motivate/educate them, nice things happen . lo + behold the few clowns w/ monkey suits wouldn't like that, gotta keep 'em hypnotized to get the votes on Sunday and keep ripping them off (some people think this is called freedom/democracy). problem is why "we" educated fools fail to recognize the booby-traps.

about those damned sci-fi movies of the 80s? all the fake intelligence and smartassness that they were pushing to the mass for 2000AD?

damn scientists! where is my jetpack?

:O2: 400MHz R12k - Apple G4 Cube dual 500MHz/GF6200 - Newton Messagepad 2100 - Apple PowerBook 2400c/G3@240 - DECstation5000/133 - Apple Workgroup Server 9150/120 - Apple Macintosh IIfx - Apple Macintosh Color Classic (Mystic upgrade) - Sun Cobalt Cube 3 - Tadpole RDI UltraBook IIi
zahal wrote:
Nowadays it's mostly $laves to the indu$try of $cience.

pretty much where i was heading the conversation about the whole mass(ive) trap, not only in science but in each and every field which is actually tied into the basic characteristics of human nature.

zahal wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvyD2o7w24g

thanks, i've watched that. i'm lucky enough to have conversated w/ Bohm, Feynmann and Pausch, among others, both on and off the camera.

Randy Pausch: Achieving Your Childhood Dreams

Richard Feynman - The Last Journey

some people are modest anyway, others get modest only when they have to deal with death. optimism is one thing, apragmatism is another.
So: -do you all guys really think that the 2012 will be the EOTW?

That was the initial topic, so, nothing wrong with recall it.

I for myself, I think a big "NO"... because I think this is all a commercial bullshit to get richer some media groups. That's all. And the rest... well, the rest is history. :)

I think this is all a commercial bullshit to get richer some media groups

Every time something big happens, the History channel puts out a documentary about Nostradamus. Then at the end they hint he also predicted whatever just happened. They always find some nonsensical ramblings to back it up.

Nostradamus predicted 9/11, you know, as well as Kelly Clarkson winning American Idol.

Mmmmmm, and last week's powerball numbers for good measure.

I wonder if they do this to sell books about Nostradamus.

"Chief, look! I learned to make fire! Who knows what we could do with this... We should learn to control it!"

"Ridiculous. How can you justify wasting time and effort on this so-called 'fire' when our children are freezing to death at night?"
diego i love your threads in this sub-forum, they're pure dadaism just like most relaxed conversations. factor in the occasional misunderstandings due to differences in taste/style/humour/idiosyncrasies and you've got an international funky little Babel ready to rock :)

from all the punchlines so far i pick VP's about SSD. bring it on man, equipment noise is killing me.

GeneratriX wrote:
So: -do you all guys really think that the 2012 will be the EOTW?

c'mon now, did you really think for a second that anyone here would bite the 2012 story? you can always include a poll in this thread and watch the numbers fly by

Frapazoid wrote:
I wonder if they do this to sell books about Nostradamus.

shhhh i'm working w/ hamei to get him back into showbiz. Nostr is alive man just like Elvis, we saw him nightclubbing the other day
Well... I already know I got a big mouth here, so, no problem guys! ;)
Some people pointed out that I seem to be the kind of guy that says:

"-Everybody is evil, excepting me!"

No way. Whoever said that is wrong. Sorry, but whoever pointed that is plainly wrong.

I'm more on the kind of guy that says:

"-We are all evil, excepting... nobody! ...and ...including me!"

Perhaps this could clear the things... you know! By no other means if it is not by such idea you could explain the actual state of things here in the earth. We have to accept it. There is no good people here... we are a plague for this planet, no matter if we put on the street a trash can with a big banner saying: "Only For Ni-Cd & Ni-Mh Cells" ...no way. We already screwed it, no time for hypocrisy or polite excuses.

So:

-We already screwed it?

-Yes Sir!

-Will the world end just for that?

-No way! I think even if we made big poop in it, it is a big stronger and harder than that!

I hope my point is clear now! :P
Peace on the earth!

P.S.: But if for some reason this polite guess from me is wrong, I'll just take first class seats. I would not loose myself the BIG SHOW for anything in the world! ;)

P.S.: But if for some reason this polite guess from me is wrong, I'll just take first class seats. I would not loose myself the BIG SHOW for anything in the world! ;)

Shock and Awe part III in 3d, FullHD, and Smell-O-Vision! :D

:O2: 400MHz R12k - Apple G4 Cube dual 500MHz/GF6200 - Newton Messagepad 2100 - Apple PowerBook 2400c/G3@240 - DECstation5000/133 - Apple Workgroup Server 9150/120 - Apple Macintosh IIfx - Apple Macintosh Color Classic (Mystic upgrade) - Sun Cobalt Cube 3 - Tadpole RDI UltraBook IIi
zahal wrote:

Indeed! ...but considering it again, I think I would hire a group fly with parachutes! ...what a nicer thing to do on a day like these? No matter if the killer thingy is a meteorite, a flood, or a big gap of tectonic plates... THIS IS THE ONLY THING YOU REALLY NEED!!! BUY YOUR TICKET NOW!!! :P :P :P

zahal wrote:

Indeed! ...but considering it again, I think I would hire a group fly with parachutes! ...what a nicer thing to do on a day like these? No matter if the killer thingy is a meteorite, a flood, or a big gap of tectonic plates... THIS IS THE ONLY THING YOU REALLY NEED!!! BUY YOUR TICKET NOW!!! :P :P :P

Someone needs to fly around the world in a hot air balloon with the 3d cam slung to the bottom to get all the footage. Could we beam it to a big database on the moon, you know for future pay per view events?
fu wrote:
name your poison
Snow Queen v Hendrick's...

name your poison
Snow Queen v Hendrick's...

hendrick's my wife's favourite, i prefer tanq.10

but gin's aplenty in our bar, straight i presume? there you go

(there's another nekochanner who likes gin, just can't recall now, zafunk?)

VenomousPinecone wrote:
]Someone needs to fly around the world in a hot air balloon with the 3d cam slung to the bottom to get all the footage. Could we beam it to a big database on the moon, you know for future pay per view events?

woohoo, want me to mod your qtvr setup? what about chasing pop corn in 0 gravity?
fu wrote:
name your poison

Monica Bellucci? ...wait!, I'm already married! Oops! :P

ice-cubes inside?

yay for mediterranean girls, they can bring the EoTW in a few hours
fu wrote:
straight i presume? there you go
Oh yes!...Thanks, nice :D

PS: But Snow Queen is fine stuff as well...