Everything Else

Cars (was SGI "Octane" III) - Page 1

dc_v01 wrote: I am unlikely to have any direct experience with a Ferrari, Aston Martin, Ford GT, or Nissan GTR anytime soon, but I feel well prepared to heatedly discuss them, and already have my preferences.

There's no room for discussion, Ford GT.

Altho the Aston would be okay when you want to appear demure, like going to funerals ...

hey, theinonen ! what's that in your avatar ? Looks mostly like a puppy, but not really, maybe some kind of kitten ? Or is it something rare and native to Finland ? Cute !
hamei wrote: hey, theinonen ! what's that in your avatar ? Looks mostly like a puppy, but not really, maybe some kind of kitten ? Or is it something rare and native to Finland ? Cute !

It is a dog puppy.

It is a 3 months old Pekingese, and it actually originates from China. Very cute, looks like a mix of cat and ape.
theinonen wrote:
hamei wrote: hey, theinonen ! what's that in your avatar ? Looks mostly like a puppy, but not really, maybe some kind of kitten ? Or is it something rare and native to Finland ? Cute !

It is a dog puppy.

It is a 3 months old Pekingese, and it actually originates from China. Very cute, looks like a mix of cat and ape.

I know it is off topic but can you post some photo of the face? I wonder what is the look of a cat mix with an ape.
hamei wrote: There's no room for discussion, Ford GT.

Nah, I'd rather have a Veyron any day. GT is waaaay too slow. ;D

Ian.
mapesdhs wrote: Nah, I'd rather have a Veyron any day. GT is waaaay too slow. ;D

Maybe this is cheating but I've ridden around Sears Point in a GT40 and gone around the block in a Veyron. Take the GT, no contest. The Veyron is a marketing gimmick pointed at the ultra-rich. It has absolutely no connection with the real Bugatti. In real life there is nothing special about them at all. They're a big characterless hunk of aluminum, whoop-de-doo. A DB-7 is a nicer car.

The Ford GT, on the other hand, is a nice car AND has a history. That whole squabble, the "I'll get even with you, you slimy little wop !" (sorry, Italians, just paraphrasing what Henry had to be thinking !) and wiping the tarmac with Ferrari two years later ... It's real. Grudge match. Scarabs, Reventlow, AC Cobras, that whole period of honkin' big-ass pushrod V-8's brutalizing the little sporty cars on their home field. When you drive a Ford GT you get to talk to Ken Miles. When you drive a Veyron, you get to talk to Robin Leach.

Different strokes I guess, but ....
Bugatti Veyron is a devolution of the EB110 which was a great car into a trophy car. Ferraris are nice but their maintenance is ridiculously more expensive than other supercars.
:Indy: :rx2600: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
Come on guys, we all know that Land Rovers are the best.
:Indy: R4600PC 133 MHz

Mac Mini 2.5GHz 8GB RAM
Raspberry Pi
Veyron is just an overpriced Volkswagen, and has too much electronics for my taste. I wonder how much would the service costs be for it.

Ford GT is nice, but nothing special. I would rather see Ford making a new version of the Capri.

For fun I would buy something like Ariel Atom. At least it will not cost a fortune, and there would still be some money left for the hospital costs.

In my opinion handling and acceleration are more important than the top speed. Car that goes fast on straight road, but handles like a whale on dry land in the corners, is no fun to drive.
Sure we're talking about the same Ford here? If you think this is just 'nice', hate to see what you think is awesome! LOL!

(Supposedly they are *very* drivable. and keep the malarkey content down pretty low, AND are pretty fuel efficient to boot)

Ford GT from Wikipedia .
:O3000: <> :O3000: :O2000: :Tezro: :Fuel: x2+ :Octane2: :Octane: x3 :1600SW: x2 :O2: x2+ :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: x2 :Indigo: x3 :Indy: x2+

Once you step up to the big iron, you learn all about physics, electrical standards, and first aid - usually all in the same day
Dr. Dave wrote: Sure we're talking about the same Ford here? If you think this is just 'nice', hate to see what you think is awesome! LOL!

All Fords are nice.

....But this is a REAL drivers car:
mapesdhs wrote:
hamei wrote: There's no room for discussion, Ford GT.

Nah, I'd rather have a Veyron any day. GT is waaaay too slow. ;D

Ian.

2nd generation mazda rx7 for me... in white (of course), not turbocharged... fun and unique.

I have no desire for your bleaurgh supercars.
Google: Don't Be Evil. Apple: Don't Be Greedy. Microsoft: Don't Be Stupid.
Ford Crown Victora Police Interceptor. Fun, fast, safe, and affordable by mortals. Besides, it's like driving a land-boat, the last of the great body-on-frame rear-wheel-drive American gashog monsters.
:O3000: :1600SW: :Indigo2IMP: :0300:

"Remember, if they can't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
iKitsune wrote: Ford Crown Victora Police Interceptor. Fun, fast, safe, and affordable by mortals.

I can still identify a Dodge Polara in the mirror from a good mile away :( Having a cop car parked in the garage would give me nightmares. Christine II, anybody ?
iKitsune wrote: Ford Crown Victora Police Interceptor. Fun, fast, safe, and affordable by mortals. Besides, it's like driving a land-boat, the last of the great body-on-frame rear-wheel-drive American gashog monsters.

First car was a hand me down '75 Ford LTD Landau...

Some notes:

- Speed bumps? OK, I'll speed up...
- Hood longer than most microcars these days
- Lawn roller fit in the trunk, with the trunk closed.
- Seats wide enough to sleep stretched out in, or other things...
- Record was 7 people at the drive in, 3 in the front, 4 in back, beer in the trunk. Not really cramped at all...

Everything after that was a Ford truck. Currently an '09 Ranger FX4 off-road, manual tranny, Zexel-Torsen 4.10 LSD in the back, 4.0 SOHC motor. Li'l hot rod.

Shameless topic link: Was gonna call it the 'Octane III', but lo-and-behold... :?
:O3000: <> :O3000: :O2000: :Tezro: :Fuel: x2+ :Octane2: :Octane: x3 :1600SW: x2 :O2: x2+ :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: x2 :Indigo: x3 :Indy: x2+

Once you step up to the big iron, you learn all about physics, electrical standards, and first aid - usually all in the same day
iKitsune wrote: Ford Crown Victora Police Interceptor. Fun, fast, safe, and affordable by mortals. Besides, it's like driving a land-boat, the last of the great body-on-frame rear-wheel-drive American gashog monsters.

This is exactly what I drive :-) Fantastic car...it's an absolute tank and it hauls ass!
(tumbleweeds)
pierocks wrote:

This is exactly what I drive :-) Fantastic car...it's an absolute tank and it hauls ass!

So YOU'RE my evil twin that keeps subscribing me to Consumer Reports!
:O3000: :1600SW: :Indigo2IMP: :0300:

"Remember, if they can't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Dr. Dave wrote: - Hood longer than most microcars these days

That one made me laugh. I drove a '67 Eldo for a few years. I'd pull up to a light, look over at the car next to me and be looking at the trunk. We were all set for emergencies, it had a helicopter landing pad on the hood :D
hamei wrote: We were all set for emergencies, it had a helicopter landing pad on the hood :D
Not enough options. Better to get a flight-capable automobile! http://www.terrafugia.com/
Cars? Easy. Another 4th Generation Camaro. This time with the LS1 V8, suspension airbags in back and a hidden hitch.

That car was more like a truck sometimes and I've yet to find another car that can swallow as much gear as that one did.

The photo was taken shortly after arriving back in Utah after spending a couple months in California. There were three Indigo2 systems in that gathering of stuff, carefully positioned between the support beams of that bed frame.

27MPG all the way back, though the V6 wasn't liking the climb out of Death Valley.
-- I'm a PeeCee and I can kick your ass . --
Slow PeeCee - i7 940 OC 4.1GHz, 20GB DDR3 OC 1.8GHz, 2x1TB WD RAID0, ATI 5870 1GB, 3008WFP
Dev PeeCee - IBM Intellistation A Pro - Dual Opteron 290 2.8GHz, 8GB ECC DDR, 500GB SATA, 8400GS, 2x1800FP
Slow PeeCee Cluster - 30x Opteron 275, 60.5GB RAM, 2.2TB, 2x1.5TB
Octane 2xR12K-300, 1.5GB, 36GB 10K, 73GB 10K, V8
Indigo2 195MHz, 1GB, 36GB, SI

There are 10 kinds of people in the world:
Those who understand Ternary. Those who don't. Those who could give a shit less.
man those camaros are huge cars
:Indy: :rx2600: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy: