Apple

OMFG! 30" Cinema Display!

http://www.apple.com/displays/ Apple does it again with a stunningly large new LCD display. 2560 x 1600 pixels. And they got rid of the Apple Display Connector. Digital DVI all the way. Woohoo! :D Of course, the video card required will not be available until August.
0ctane wrote: http://www.apple.com/displays/ Apple does it again with a stunningly large new LCD display. 2560 x 1600 pixels. And they got rid of the Apple Display Connector. Digital DVI all the way. Woohoo! :D Of course, the video card required will not be available until August.

Darn! Must be nice! The 24" Sun LCD is pretty groovy already, so I bet this one would be quite spectacular!
You mean to get the 30" to use it with the G5 and the nVidia card, right?, it won´t work with another config. Only the 20" and 23" models can be used with a PC, well, could those two models work with a SGI workstation?

Philips has also a superb 23 inches monitor
We are here on Earth to do good to others. What the others are here for, I don't know.
themacosxflies wrote: You mean to get the 30" to use it with the G5 and the nVidia card, right?, it won´t work with another config.

Well, I imagine that these "special" graphics cards will eventually be made for PC users also.
could those two models work with a SGI workstation?
Well, if you know of a SGI workstation that can accept DVI, then sure it should work. The Visual Workstations should have no problem. As for a MIPS based system.....

BTW, that philips monitor link does not work.
From what I've seen and heard, the "special" card is just going to be a Quadro with dual dvi outputs. Something along what IBM did with it's ultra high-res 21" flat panel(it used 4 inputs from two matrox G450s).
WolfLord - :4D70G: :Octane2:

"Two Minus Three Equals Negative Fun" - Troy McClure
but Apple site says the 30" display will work only with the G5 with that nVidia card, while 20" and 23" displays will work also with PCs and hope SGIs. :?:
We are here on Earth to do good to others. What the others are here for, I don't know.
wolflord wrote: From what I've seen and heard, the "special" card is just going to be a Quadro with dual dvi outputs. Something along what IBM did with it's ultra high-res 21" flat panel(it used 4 inputs from two matrox G450s).
Yeah, I have heard of these before. The 30" literature still says that you will be able to use two monitors with this card still. Maybe the card just pumps out more data faster than other cards? Just guessing here.
but Apple site says the 30" display will work only with the G5 with that nVidia card, while 20" and 23" displays will work also with PCs
If you look closely (using the Store to buy) it looks like the highend ATI card will also be able to drive the 30" monitor.
I am in the process of connecting Apple Cinema Display 23" with the Octane2 (VPro V6).

I've got good initial results - the login image on the screen is there when you set V6 at 1920x1200x60, but it does not stretch all the way to the edges so there is a black area 1/6th of the screen to the each side. I believe this to be the issue with the .vof configuration file for this resolution so I will try to compile my own 1920x1200x60 that will work with ACD 23" (I've found manufacturers specs for the screen timings)

Problem with ACD 23" is that it needs PP sync and most cards output NN (including V6 I believe on SOG). Also I am not sure if V6 outputs H/V sync on the 13W3 or only SOG (Sync on Green).

Right now I'm extracting sync from SOG with a circuit I've made and then feed that VGA signal into Gefen's VGA->ADC converter and from there into the ACD.
But it's not all peachy since ACD only works in native 1920x1200 resolution so you cannot see the Octane2 boot process until it reaches the login screen (X running).
amigo wrote: I am in the process of connecting Apple Cinema Display 23" with the Octane2 (VPro V6).

Wow. Let me say that again...wow. I thought I was cool putting two 15" apple ADC displays on my linux box.
But it's not all peachy since ACD only works in native 1920x1200 resolution so you cannot see the Octane2 boot process until it reaches the login screen (X running).

I guess that would be a problem for getting to the maintenance menu, huh? Definitely keep us posted.
The GeForce 6800 product page mentions the following:

It is the first card available to support the DVI standard dual link digital signal specification from the two DVI ports it features. This capability is required to drive the new 30-inch LCD, high resolution Apple Cinema HD display. The combination of a GeForce 6800 Ultra with a dual processor Power Mac G5 driving two 30-inch Apple Cinema HD Displays is the definitive tool for the creative professional.

This seems to suggest that something about the actual DVI standard on the ports has changed, not that it requires two ports (you can still hang two of these displays off of one card).

Looking at the DVI FAQ at http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html

WHAT ARE SINGLE AND DUAL LINKS ?

The Digital formats are available in DVI-D Single-Link and Dual-Link as well as DVI-I Single-Link and Dual-Link format connectors. These cables send information using a digital information format called TMDS (transition minimized differential signaling). Single link cables use one TMDS 165Mhz transmitter, while dual links use two. The dual link effectively doubles the power of transmission and provides an increase of speed and signal quality; i.e. a single link 60-Hz LCD can display a resolution of 1920 x 1080, while a dual link can display a resolution of 2048 x 1536.

This suggests that single link DVI doesn't support high resolution signals and hence can't handle the larger resolution display. This is going to be a requirement on the PC side as well as far as I can see based on the above - i.e. not uniquely Mac.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
0ctane wrote:
could those two models work with a SGI workstation?
Well, if you know of a SGI workstation that can accept DVI, then sure it should work. The Visual Workstations should have no problem. As for a MIPS based system.....

Yes, the V12 has DVI ports if I remember right. At least that dual pipe, dual channel had 4 of them ... Not a common config though :twisted:

Matthias
Life is what happens while we are making other plans
I believe V12 has dual DVI only if you buy the DCD adapter for it which is another $995 or something like that. By default it does not come with it afaik...
So you see the 30" display as a solid option, people are complaining that it is too much big :roll: Same said where the 17" PowerBook was shown, so far I love my PB screen :o
themacosxflies wrote: So you see the 30" display as a solid option
Well, I would probably do two 20" cinema displays rather than a single 30", but that is just me. :D
Apparently, the card that you're gonna need for the 30" cinema display is an AGP 8x Geforce 6800 that appears to be completely stock, except that it has 2 dual-link DVI connectors, instead of 2 single-link DVI connectors. I see no reason why one couldn't just stick one in a peecee, since the drivers should be the same as a standard Geforce 6800. Anybody have $4K that wants to try the ACD 30" on peecee? :D
Wake up, Mr. Freeman
Wake up, and smell
the ashes