Apple

What Apple hardware do we have? - Page 2

With slow floppy and hard drives, there's really no reason not to bite the bullet and do your work on a shared volume. All the things that seem inconvenient on those computers due to lack of space are pretty trivial once you have gigabytes of shared volumes. You could even use an SGI with netatalk as the server (but that does require a LocalTalk bridge, I think: unless the sgi's rs422 can be tricked into speaking LocalTalk)
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
MrBill wrote: Yeah, that is what I am looking for. Ive run into a bunch of sites giving you patching tools and a list of addresses to change to patch it yourself, it seems like a headache. I just want the darn patched utility. On top of that, until i get the drive working, im running off only 2 800k floppys. Space is limited, everything is in some compressed sit format, which seems like a good idea, but the extraction software is another program i have to put on the disk taking up precious space. I'm running out of floppy disk space just trying to get a minimal base system with the tools and utilities needed to set up a scsi disk.

I found a bunch of maxtor hard drives at the scrapyard today, I might see if any of those are usable and try to get a working hard drive install done tonight.

I put it here in MacBinary Self-Extracting.

gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/1/archive/ ... lassic-mac
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
From the classics a Power Macintosh MDD Dual 867Mhz with 2GB RAM.
Also an iPad Mini 2 with Retina Display.
:Octane2: 2XR12K 400Mhz 2GB V8 Card Cage :Indy: R4400 200Mhz 256MB
At home:
Ipad g1 (TR1 machine because of ios5 old version) I have a BLE dongle for it)
Iphone 4s- hooked up in stereo cabinet for spotify playback.
AEBS

In the closet:
Apple 1 (retro) I want to have this framed at some point
Apple iie
Ipod touch g2 that needs glass and battery (freebie remote and light switch that I have yet to get around to fixing)
Iphone 5s that needs a battery and screen :oops: because the screen and glass are now one piece it will probably not be fixed...

At work:
Mac pro
Macbook pro (with TBD)
Iphone 6s (which is also my main machine at home right now which I am typing this post on ;) )
Airport express

I'm definitely waiting for the 2nd gen watch at this point. I thought I wanted one until I realized how limited they are especially for activity tracking. And how unreliable/slow the apps are. Definitely a 1st gen product :/
Google: Don't Be Evil. Apple: Don't Be Greedy. Microsoft: Don't Be Stupid.
Picked up a Pismo in very good condition from a fellow over on 68kMLA. Still need to get it tricked out and set up for dual-boot, but it's really in great shape :)
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/Jupiter-6/D-50/MT-32/SC-55k, Ensoniq SQ-80/Mirage, Yamaha DX7/V-50/FB-01, Korg DW-8000/03-RW/MS-20 Mini, E-mu Proteus MPS/Proteus/2, Rhodes Chroma Polaris

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup
Dual-boot OS9 and 10.4, you mean? I don't think there's any partition magic required, the switch is handled in OF.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
One thing I really like to do with a Apple MacBook Air with ad-on 3rd party is the same I was able to do with Sun gear - although I can use three full color monitors instead an individual color, grey scale and monochrome. Pictured here was a 13 inch MaxcBook Air.

:Skywriter:

DECUS Member 368596
robespierre wrote: Dual-boot OS9 and 10.4, you mean? I don't think there's any partition magic required, the switch is handled in OF.

No magic, just grunt work (i.e. doing a fresh install + update of each.)
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/Jupiter-6/D-50/MT-32/SC-55k, Ensoniq SQ-80/Mirage, Yamaha DX7/V-50/FB-01, Korg DW-8000/03-RW/MS-20 Mini, E-mu Proteus MPS/Proteus/2, Rhodes Chroma Polaris

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup
skywriter wrote: One thing I really like to do with a Apple MacBook Air with ad-on 3rd party is the same I was able to do with Sun gear - although I can use three full color monitors instead an individual color

to what are those LCDs attached ?

with my MacBookAir I can't easily have X11
the best I can have is XQuartz (it's 3rd parts)
which partially supports X11

e.g. I can export " Mathematica " from IRIX, even if it misses Xfonts (already fixed)
and I can export " geany" and " nedit " and a few X11 Apps (excluding KDE based) from linux
but I can't export " Illustrator " for IRIX because it does not support Xlook
I wish I could enter into the vegetable garden of William Gibson , on the right of a director, to decide how a film is ultimately released for public viewing, but I am not a nor Cyberpunk writer neither a dude in Hollywood , and my English still looks like an old rusty trailer which needs a fix-up, so my personal wonderland begins with a pill ... tumbling down the rabbit hole , where the sky above the router port is the color of television, tuned to a dead channel and some gears still need a debugger there.
ivelegacy wrote:
skywriter wrote: One thing I really like to do with a Apple MacBook Air with ad-on 3rd party is the same I was able to do with Sun gear - although I can use three full color monitors instead an individual color

to what are those LCDs attached ?

Probably airplay? Looks like a neat setup, if you're into that sort of thing. I prefer my thunderbolt display, even if it's not retina :( (Soon! Soon! Please, Apple? Please make a retina tbd???)

ivelegacy wrote: with my MacBookAir I can't easily have X11
the best I can have is XQuartz (it's 3rd parts)
which partially supports X11

e.g. I can export " Mathematica " from IRIX, even if it misses Xfonts (already fixed)

I know mathematica 10 on OSX is a gazillion times better than 5.2, even if 8-ish was the best. You don't need any X at all :)
guardian452 wrote: I know mathematica 10 on OSX is a gazillion times better than 5.2, even if 8-ish was the best. You don't need any X at all

but Irix is gazillion times better than MacOSX :D :D :D

I quoted Mathematica on Irix, exported to MacOSX by XQuartz, just to say how good is the X11 support on MacOSX
and, in my opinion, I say "decent", but far from the definition of "brilliant"
hey oh? Swimming pool & Racing bicycle.
It was a USB attached display system. There was no video degradation playing movies, or running programs like Blender3D. Although the pictured system was a 13 inch 4GB MacBook, the 11 inch 2GB MacBook only supported a single attached display. No visibility into the particular limitation.

At the time though, the ability to partition OSX, Windows, and Linux onto three different monitors was a plus. The fact I had to deal with all three at the same time was a drag.
:Skywriter:

DECUS Member 368596
Currently in use

Mac mini 2012 (Core i7 Quad - currently last great Mac mini)
Mac mini 2011 (with discrete GPU)
Mac mini Server 2009
Macbook Pro 2012 (non-retina)
Macbook white non unibody 2009

In storage - waiting for repair
Mac mini 2007
PowerMac G5 2.0 dual-core
eMac G4 2004
ivelegacy wrote: but Irix is gazillion times better than MacOSX :D :D :D
I quoted Mathematica on Irix, exported to MacOSX by XQuartz, just to say how good is the X11 support on MacOSX
and, in my opinion, I say "decent", but far from the definition of "brilliant"

Really? I know we all love IRIX, but is there some rose tinted glasses involved in that statement?
Surely UNIX has come on somewhat in the last 10 years?

I'm not saying it is.. and I'm not saying it isn't.. I just love starting OS wars!! mwahahahahaha :twisted:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
MyDungeon() << :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: MyLoft() << :540: :Octane: MyWork() << :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo:
uunix wrote: mwahahahahaha :twisted:

I have scientific reasons to believe that next year, you will find a "OS/9 parcel" just under the xmas tree
emmm I am afraid it won't be persuaded to run on Macintosh, instead it will on 80s systems, 6809-like
according with the japanese magazine " Oh! Fm " it might run on Hitachi 6309 by hack tricks :D :D :D :D
ivelegacy wrote:
uunix wrote: mwahahahahaha :twisted:

I have scientific reasons to believe that next year, you will find a "OS/9 parcel" just under the xmas tree
emmm I am afraid it won't be persuaded to run on Macintosh, instead it will on 80s systems, 6809-like
according with the japanese magazine " Oh! Fm " it might run on Hitachi 6309 by hack tricks :D :D :D :D

I have the OS/9 tee-shirt.. I use it to polish monitor connected to my Dragon 32..

I also have an apple [proforma?] in the loft ready to defend your attack of the nine!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
MyDungeon() << :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: MyLoft() << :540: :Octane: MyWork() << :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo:
Hmm. I'm starting to think it may be time to lighten the load.

The first item on the list is my SE/30 with 128 MB RAM, Micron xCeed Color Display Adapter, and ImageWriter II printer. I bought it as soon as it was introduced, and it's the first personal computer I ever owned. Fifteen years or more ago, I gave it to a friend who wanted a computer for his young son to use. When I gave it to him, it had 8 MB of RAM, a 40 GB drive, and no other upgrades. A few years ago, he returned it to me with an RGB display and adapter, and a 120 MB hard drive. :D Thanks to a generous donation from a Nekochan member, I later was able to max out the RAM. I still fire it up now and then, and I doubt I ever will part with it. Considering the time it was released and the work I did with it, I rate this as the best non-SGI computer I've ever owned.

Unless otherwise noted, all of these are alive and well:

1. The aforementioned SE/30
  2. PowerBook Duo 270c - includes interesting stuff like Aldus Pagemaker and Aldus Persuasion
  3. PowerBook Duo 2300
  4. Duo Dock II
  5. PowerBook 1400cs - Upgraded with 40 MB RAM, G3 CPU, external display adapter, Ethernet PCMCIA card, and swappable ZIP/CD-ROM drives. This was my daily driver for quite a few years.
  6. PowerBook3,1 - (G3 Firewire/Pismo) upgraded with ZIP drive.
  7. PowerBook6,8 - G4 12" 1.5 GHz - A total workhorse. After my SE/30, I consider this to be the next best computer I've ever owned.
  8. PowerBook5,7 - G4 17" 1.67 GHz
  9. iBook G4 - 1.42 GHz (PowerBook6,7) - doesn't boot; bad analog board
  10. MacBookPro2,2 - 15" Late 2006, 2.3 GHz Core 2 Duo - Until recently, when the GPU started to fail, this was my daily driver. Currently disassembled. I'm trying to decide whether to part it out or to try to repair it. It ran Snow Leopard like a champ.
Oh, yes, and a Newton MessagePad 130!

For current, daily use:

1. Macmini1,1 - 1.83 GHz Core Duo, upgraded to 500 GB drive and 2 GB RAM. Runs some databases for a local charity I'm involved with.
  2. MacBookPro7,1 - 13" Mid-2010, 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, upgraded to 16 GB RAM and 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD. This is my current "personal" machine.
  3. MacBookPro9,2 - 13" Mid-2012, 2.5 GHz Core i5, upgraded to 16 GB RAM and 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD. This is my current "business" machine.
  4. iPhone 4S (likely to be upgraded in a month or so, pending Apple's March product announcements)
I almost forgot! It's not an Apple, but I also have a Mac clone - a Power Computing PowerCenter 150. A surprisingly speedy machine!
uunix wrote: I have the OS/9 tee-shirt.. I use it to polish monitor connected to my Dragon 32..

ohhh, to polish :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: ?

Critical situations call for drastic measures & remedies
to fight extreme evils, use extreme cures: :D :D :D :D

(and it's a super secret news like good reasons to keep your mouth shut)

I am going to design a 6809 board, and it will come with two CPUs in DIP package with shared memory in the middle
in this cause you can replace with HC6309, and play the SMP game in assembly (or experimental gcc-09, if you dare)
Achievement unlocked: using apple pay at an apple store.

Watch 42mm sport space grey, white sport band, black link bracelet.
I was going to buy the space black steel, with the link bracelet, but the grey aluminum is actually darker and looks better, IMO. :twisted: It even does a better job of matching the black link bracelet.

My Wenger of over 15 years finally stopped ticking for the last time (it had been loosing time for months).

Neat toy. I didn't want another cheap Wenger but don't think I'm ready for a Rolex or Tag, etc. I couldn't find an e.g. Oakley, Hamilton, etc, that I actually liked, so I made my inner 13 year old happy and got the dick tracy special.