Apple

Apple Power G5 Vs Octane2 (NOISE CHALLENGE) - Page 2

I actually wanted OSX server & has a copy but it's a grey CD dedicated to a certain machine & in this case it's my Mac Mini server

If that was the disc that came with your Mac mini server, then unfortunately you might have an Intel OS X disc there. No grey OS X Server CD ever shipped with a PowerPC Mac mini; that concept didn't emerge until the Intel days.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
anyone has already tried the above trick?
I wish I could enter into the vegetable garden of William Gibson , on the right of a director, to decide how a film is ultimately released for public viewing, but I am not a nor Cyberpunk writer neither a dude in Hollywood , and my English still looks like an old rusty trailer which needs a fix-up, so my personal wonderland begins with a pill ... tumbling down the rabbit hole , where the sky above the router port is the color of television, tuned to a dead channel and some gears still need a debugger there.
not exactly, but i always install my macs either with target disk mode or carbon copy cloning, and it always works, no matter what kind of install disk (grey or retail) used.
no plan
Tezro vs G5 would be better in terms of performance. I'd be interested to see.
:fuel: 900MHz 4GB
I wish I could enter into the vegetable garden of William Gibson , on the right of a director, to decide how a film is ultimately released for public viewing, but I am not a nor Cyberpunk writer neither a dude in Hollywood , and my English still looks like an old rusty trailer which needs a fix-up, so my personal wonderland begins with a pill ... tumbling down the rabbit hole , where the sky above the router port is the color of television, tuned to a dead channel and some gears still need a debugger there.
That does look nice.. but also very noisy.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
MyDungeon() << :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: MyLoft() << :540: :Octane: MyWork() << :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo:
&& the solution is: to be on SunRay2's console
like a piece of cake on sunny summer party :D

money fault, but
I am going to invent a money printer machine
5 Months later and with the assistance of a friend, I have 1 G5 Power Dual 2.3GHz up and running with OSX 10.5.8 and I have to say, it is rather a spiffing machine. It looks nice, and in contrast to the original statement in this thread, it's very quiet. It's also very fast, but it really has just a clean install, so I'm not surprised.

So what will I be doing with it?
My initial idea was to output firewire to my DMedia10 via some application. I tested this on my mac mini, and found the protocol not identified so I'm expecting the same, but that's another story.

Also, after using macs for some considerable time, and updating my mini to always the very latest, I've come to the conclusion, that this (10.5 era) is probably my fondest.

Next step, it's got 3 GB of memory so, I'll dig round and see what I can muster up without spending any money. So far, it's cost me £10 for the two macs, £10 for a power lead and £20 for a pack of dual layered blank DVDs. I've changed the DVD player to a super drive and it has two 230B drives raided in Raid1.

I also have in the loft a ProFormat 1600sw Card and 5 1600sw monitors sitting in the loft. Not sure of any compatibility but hey ho, I'll have a look anyway.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
MyDungeon() << :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: MyLoft() << :540: :Octane: MyWork() << :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo:
G5s can still do a lot. They're not thrifty on power but with the right workload (they have steel testicles for FPUs) they can still be useful. The main problem with the G5 is that Apple, like Apple usually does, criminally undercached them. They really chug on branchy code that causes lots of cache misses. In the TenFourFox G5 JIT it's usually faster to "manually speculate" (execute both sides or do lots of precomputation expecting success and select the value rather than branch to the right code block first).

At least the Quad has 1MB per CPU, but even that's not enough.
smit happens.

probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
a friend of mine, which happens to have a job on MTV
told me that he was not happy with his G5 & FinalCut
too many crashes, too many head pain, too many pills
then he bought an intel mac , and he is feeling fine :D
Some prowling the streets, looking for sweets from their Candyman , I'm Looking for a new fun with IP30/Octane2
IP30 purposes : linux (kernel development), Irix Scientific Apps { Ansys, Catia, Pro/E, FiberSIM, AutoDYNþ, ... }
Other Projects : { Cerberus , Woody Box , 68K-board, SWI_DBG }, discontinued Console hacks { GB, GBA, PSX1 }
Wanted Equipments : { U1732C LCR meter by Keysight } ~ ~ I am still Learning English, be patient with me ~ ~
about me , there are just a few things to know: I am exuberant , and I love the urban dictionary : is it a problem ?!?
uunix wrote: Next step, it's got 3 GB of memory so, I'll dig round and see what I can muster up without spending any money. So far, it's cost me £10 for the two macs, £10 for a power lead and £20 for a pack of dual layered blank DVDs. I've changed the DVD player to a super drive and it has two 230B drives raided in Raid1.

Well that went to pot, it appears I may have drunk too much last night since I put a few 'Make Offer's in on ebay..

Final Cut Keyboard
Final Cut Studio (Final Cut 6)
AJA KONA LHe & Break out box...

So much for looking for free memory!!!
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
Dude. Power Macs and alcohol DO NOT MIX.
smit happens.

ClassicHasClass wrote: Dude. Power Macs and alcohol DO NOT MIX.

Indeed!!

But it has arrived (the AJA KONA card with breakout box).. albeit.. chucked over my garden fence :x :x :x

Downloaded drives/software and read the readme before hand.. and I swear it said 9.x was PPC compatible.. it wasn't and now I can't install 8.1 because the AJA removal tool (TOOL being the operative word here) isn't PPC compatible!! FFS!!

I feel I may do a new OSX install, but instead of RAIDing the two drives, make one drive a time machine drive! Or.. how do I remove it, because it won't let me install 8 over 9. So annoying!!
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
I have no idea, I don't know what it installs :( If you have nothing else on there, wiping would certainly be simplest.
smit happens.

It's OK, I deleted some library stuff, all seems ok now. Well I say OK, 8.1 AJA installed OK and it's passing certain tests.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
First moments of success.. You all understand those moments of brilliance.. when you get a blip on the screen and you run over to your wife/husband/other and shout LOOK AT THIS!!! ........ and they just look you up and down with contempt at your productivity which could have been diverted to putting some shelving up!!

Yup B&W but I know what it's attempting, and I'm quite chuffed really, analogue and digital out, and it's throughput from the VBOB.

SWEET!!! :D My global dominating plan is coming together!

I'm looking at an 18U rack cabinet to tidy everything up.

BTW, does anyone know what AJ TV is meant to do?
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
uunix wrote:

is that jenga stack @ your home uu?

uunix wrote: BTW, does anyone know what AJ TV is meant to do?

it’s meant for quick previews and/or output of a quicktime sequence. instead of launching your editor, you fire up aja tv that talks to the aja hardware.
fu wrote:
uunix wrote:

is that jenga stack @ your home uu?

uunix wrote: BTW, does anyone know what AJ TV is meant to do?

it’s meant for quick previews and/or output of a quicktime sequence. instead of launching your editor, you fire up aja tv that talks to the aja hardware.

Yep and the stack was bigger with video and hi-fi stuff. I had to separate as it was wobbling.

AJ TV does sort of nothing, no window, I have a menu bar, but no window.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
it should display something (as long as you're feeding the aja hardware with something from its input)

think of it as a live preview of what goes in/out of the card (without having to fire up the full-blown editor). if this is a messed up mac os x install, you might have better luck starting afresh.
I reckon the OSX install is fine, but the AJA install maybe a bit skew-whiff.. So yes, it may be worth starting from scratch.

But what you are saying fu, is that starting AJ TV should open a window that display whatever input the card is receiving?
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!